It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 02:02

New Topic Add Reply
Post 09 Feb 2013, 15:28 • #1 
Guide
I was lucky enough to just stumble onto an original Constable Sceptre in the 8' length. It looks to be minty and is stunning with the gold and royal blue wraps. I am well familiar with the rod and it's praises but there is nothing of the rod in this particular size that is an original. I will be adding pics and a report on it's casting ability as soon as it arrives but in the wait period, I was hoping someone could tell me more about it as far as what line it will casts and whatever information other than that I can get. Also would love to see some other original constable pics if there is any other owners.

Last edited by nativetrout on 22 Feb 2013, 12:39, edited 2 times in total.

Post 09 Feb 2013, 19:09 • #2 
Master Guide
Pictures Please!

Post 09 Feb 2013, 19:31 • #3 
Master Guide
Here is a link to a post I made a while back with copies of the Angler's Mail catalog featuring the Sceptre rods: https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1867

Post 09 Feb 2013, 21:19 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
My 8 ft Sceptre--built from a blank--is a DT5/6WF/T-130 rod in my hands. Your tastes may vary, I typically end up using the heavier end of the line weight range on all my glass rods. It's a little too fast for my preferences with a WF5. Very smooth, easy casting rod.

Enjoy, Hayden

Post 10 Feb 2013, 14:14 • #5 
Master Guide
Thank you for the link to interesting material Mr. BHSpey! I found out some long-forgotten information on my 6'3" Sceptre. :D

Post 14 Feb 2013, 12:24 • #6 
Guide
thank you fellas. appreciate the info. i got the rod last evening and it is lovely. i have spent the last two hours just casting it, trying to figure it out. i agree with you hayden, a 6wt. feels good to me because i like a deep flexing cast, however, with the Leonard like small grip, the rod hurts my wrists and feels too heavy for an 8ft. I cast it with a dt4 and it feels good with 20' ft of line out but a little fast for my taste and any shorter casts just fall apart. this lead me to think a dt5 would be the holy grail. this was the worst of the three lines i tried. really did not feel good and tracked horrible. i was also getting tailing loops. my belief is it may take a 4 1/2dt but i dont own half size lines so ill be buying one. its also a lovely 6wt just not comfortable. so although the heavens did not open right away as i hoped, it is a lovely rod and i will search to find the perfect line size. pictures will be posted later today.

Post 14 Feb 2013, 12:35 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I have two of these fine rods. They are choice fishing tools. In case you have not done a search, I looked for "sceptre" and got 57 pages so there should be some photographs there. You got yourself a super rod there.

Post 14 Feb 2013, 14:00 • #8 
Guide
Ther are 57 pages with no pictures that i could find of the original except for a beautiful replica made by Andy at Yankee rodsmiths. His duplicate is actually nicer looking than the original for sure. I thought I seen the original on this forum before but after searching through, i did not see it again. Also dont like to have to dig through 57 pages to stumble across a photo. Now when someone puts "Constable of Bromley Scepter" in the google search engine, they will come straight to this thread and have pictures. More pictures never hurt. just makes it easier for people to find references. You have two of them tells me they must be more available than I thought. I wonder how many were made.

Re: Searching
Post 14 Feb 2013, 14:30 • #9 
Glass Fanatic

Isn't it "Sceptre"? Spelling can make a difference in searches.

Some of our completely nondescriptive thread titles—"Help", "Fly Rod for Sale", "Look", "Unbelievable!", "What Was I Thinking?"—sure don't help with retrieving information.

As the OP probably knows, using google for a site-specific search might feel less cumbersome than the forum engine. ["Search text here site:fiberglassflyrodders.com".]

For images, Bing can be handy.

Post 14 Feb 2013, 14:37 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
a few years ago there were a few completed rods on ebay. Then there were a number of Sceptre blanks made available. I bought my complete rod from Andy and he did justice to the blank. I will look on my old computer. I might have some photos there. Cheers!
Paul

Post 14 Feb 2013, 18:34 • #11 
Guide
fixed

Post 22 Feb 2013, 12:38 • #12 
Guide

and another picture of an English treat just for the heck of it

Post 22 Feb 2013, 13:16 • #13 
Guide
Here's a link to some photos and history behind Sceptre rods -- I've now got six, five originals and one built by the amazing Andy Manchester Jr. They are all lovely rods.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40297&hilit=Buck+Sceptre

-- Dr. Todd

New Topic Add Reply