It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:40

New Topic Add Reply
Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 05 Aug 2011, 07:13 • #1 
Inactive
Came across this today at a junk shop and paid $6 with the original automatic reel. It seems to be marked with NL B-814-8'6". I think it was built in September1963? Length is 8'-6" action is all purpose for line weights of D,HDH,4M. Wraps are all original as is the stripper and snake eyes, black hook keeper cork handle in great shape and black reel seat is perfect, as is the black furrels. The only thing wrong id=s that it has some discoloration and I would like to know how to clean it up without destroying the rod finish. Any expert advise would be more than appreciated. OH, I would also like to know what it might be worth

Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 05 Aug 2011, 09:06 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
If the discoloration is yellowing on the blank, especially around the wraps, there isn't much you can do, that's the varnish they used showing its age against the white blank. It doesn't affect anything, so best to put up with it. If it is something other than that, we'll need pics.

The big heavy line Wonderods don't get much respect price wise, say $20-30 in good condition with no sock or tube, a little more with the latter. They are fairly common--8 wt wasn't considered particularly heavy back in the day--and everybody wants lighter today. Depending on your cast, it may fish down into the 7 wts. Try it with an 8 DT or level and you may be surprised by how well it casts. These can be decent bass bug and big streamer rods. For $6.00 you may have done really well.

Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 05 Aug 2011, 09:30 • #3 
Inactive
Thank you for the reply. Yes, I am assuming it is the varnish yellowing. I was hoping it was worth a little more than that but, for $6 I think I did OK and I got a HI Automatic reel in the deal also so, all in all, I'm happy. Just wish there was something I could do to strip the old finish and put new finish on. So you think it is an 8wt? with these codes, D,HDH,4M. What do the codes mean as far as line goes?

Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 05 Aug 2011, 10:14 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
here: http://www.Orvis.com/intro.aspx?subject=2875

Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 05 Aug 2011, 12:36 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Check out the Wiki, there is a link to it on the front page, just to the right of the logo. What follows is from the Wiki, based on Shakespeare catalogues of the period, I'm sure we owe Gaddis for this.
Line Designation AFTMA floating line AFTMA sinking line
HEH DT4F DT5S
HDH DT6F DT7S
HCH DT7F DT8S
GBG DT9F
2LM, GBF WF6F
4M, GAF WF8F WF9S
6MH, G2AF WF9F WF10S
8H, G4AF WF10F WF11S
F L3F
E L5F L6S
L7F L8S

Again, a lot depends on your casting, but I've never been able to get a Shakespeare 8.5 footer to work for me with a DT 6. Usually they start to wake up with a 7wt or better in my hands. I like a slower action than some.

If you want, you can citrus strip the rod and rewrap it. I did that with one when I started rod building/ rebuilding. You may be able to strip the old varnish off from around the wraps, then touch up the wraps with more spar. If you get stripper on the wraps, well, you are rewrapping. Post up some pictures if you can.

I'd of bought it for $6.00 without blinking. These are decent using rods, but due to the heavier than currently popular line weight and since Shakespeare made oodles of them, they don't price well these days. I've one similar that gets used for throwing bass bugs out of a canoe.

Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 06 Aug 2011, 01:44 • #6 
Master Guide
Was curious as to why Shakespeare designated a GBF as a WF6 while Orvis rated GBF as a WF8?
Always thought a GBF equalled a WF8?

Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 06 Aug 2011, 03:27 • #7 
Glass Fanatic

We may have a typo?

Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 06 Aug 2011, 06:55 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
The conversion charts are approximations, the letter system diameter based, so weights weren't as consistent. As the new AFTMA system was adopted more consistently by rod makers, synthetic lines were developing as well. Eventually the "E" diameter came to be more consistently equated with a 5-weight line. You will see these variations in conversion charts according to who published them and when.

Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 06 Aug 2011, 07:15 • #9 
Inactive
Well, started cleaning her up today and the yellow substance just happens to be years of crud. Reel seat and ferrules have the original black and very minor wear. Eyes and wraps are tight with its original black and red wraps. This rod once cleaned is a beautiful speciman of a 1963 fibreglass rod. I am also waiting on my Phillipson Master which hopefully will be here next week. Thanks for all your help

By the way, so it seems as though this rod will take a WF8F and a DT6F line, is this correct? I don't know what the single D refers to, I don't see it in the chart. The rod also came with a HI Automatic fly reel any references to this reel?

Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 06 Aug 2011, 09:59 • #10 
Hey Wonderrods are kind of unique. There is nothing else like them. I have three my first one was one of the very early ones (1947 ish). Made to throw a five or six. Caught a musky on that one and cracked it in 2006. Retired it. Another I have I gave a custom Paint Job because the varnish was yellowed and crazed. Love that one too, caught some nice rainbows on that. my last one is mint and it just sits around. My biggest complaint is never the blank but the reel seats and guides leave some to be desired. But teamed up with a shakespear ausable reel they are a trip back in time. They will catch fish.

Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 06 Aug 2011, 11:08 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
A single letter just means a level line, D being approximately a six weight. Three letters, with the first and last being the same, are a double taper line. Three letters, the first and last being different, are a WF line. The middle letter is always the diameter of the casting body of the line. You should probably try 6 weight and 7 weight lines on it, maybe a WF 8, bearing in mind that the charts are an approximation. If it were mine and I was using it just for panfish or bass, I'd probably start with a level 7.

Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 06 Aug 2011, 12:25 • #12 
Inactive
Cool, I will start with a level 7wt. I will most likely use it for Bass in the James River or maybe some large Rainbows. I would have liked to use it for light salt water

Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 07 Aug 2011, 05:07 • #13 
Inactive
Does anyone have a picture of the label where the line designation is? It came off my rod while cleaning and I want to repaint it on. It should look something like this ... No. B-814 8'-6" I will repaint it and put clear varnish over it.
HDH, 4M, D

Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 07 Aug 2011, 09:15 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Very neat old rod, thanks for getting pics up. I saw your post "wanted:reel" heck I would use that old HI auto, tho not in the salt.

Llines ... level lines work, and I fish the occasional one, but a WF line is gonna be soooo much nicer, esp if you are trying to get distantance.
That white Wonderod w Red/black wraps just screams classic, I love it.

Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 07 Aug 2011, 10:10 • #15 
Guide

That was Gadabout Gaddis favorite rod. Man I can still remember, as a kid sitting in front of the TV, waiting for him to come on. He used Wonder rods all the time. I've got a vhs tape with about a dozen of his shows on it. Still love to watch it once in a while.

Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 08 Aug 2011, 14:06 • #16 
Inactive
I have a Shakespeare Purist coming that I think would look awesome on it. I don't know if you saw my post about wiping off the specs while cleaning the rod but, I could use a picture showing the specs on a rod like this so I can either paint them back on or use rubbing transfer letters and numbers. Can anyone help a brother out?

By the way, I took that reel apart, cleaned it and relubed her and she is purrring like a kitten. Just not to keen on the autos. Call be old fashioned. That there is some new fangled stuff.

Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 09 Aug 2011, 04:06 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
Was curious as to why Shakespeare designated a GBF as a WF6 while Orvis rated GBF as a WF8?
Always thought a GBF equalled a WF8?

Quote:
The conversion charts are approximations, the letter system diameter based, so weights weren't as consistent. As the new AFTMA system was adopted more consistently by rod makers, synthetic lines were developing as well. Eventually the "E" diameter came to be more consistently equated with a 5-weight line. You will see these variations in conversion charts according to who published them and when.

There is also the question of whether silk line or nylon line is being referred to whenever the old letter designations are being used. Also, the recommended line stated by the manufacturer is a subjective rating. It's well known in the bamboo world, for example, that most people like Orvis bamboo rods with a line weight that is one size lower than what Orvis suggests.

Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 11 Aug 2011, 07:12 • #18 
Inactive
Here is where I stand with this rod. I cleaned her up nicely and put a coat of clear varnish on her. All the yellowing is gone and she shines like the day she came from the factory. I paired her off with a Shakespeare 1898 Wondereel "Purist" which must have been made for this rod because she is PERFECTLY balanced with this reel with line and backing. The line that is on it now is 12wt and I have a 7wt coming. Hopefully the 7wt will be the line she likes but, I am leaning towards the 8wt. I guess we'll see. I will get pics up as soon as I can. What a beautiful outfit this will be. I can't wait to hit the Red fish.

Re: Shakespeare Wonderod
Post 18 Apr 2018, 10:12 • #19 
I recently picked up an A-814 9ft for $2 at a yard sale. It has never been used and is still in the original plastic bag in a tube!
Being new to fly fishing, I have no idea what reel or line would be best for this rod. Can anyone advise a newbie?

Post 18 Apr 2018, 10:28 • #20 
Master Guide
https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/Shakespeare

Post 18 Apr 2018, 10:43 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
We love pictures?? Without looking it up, I would bet an 8wt line would work, is where I would start.

Post 18 Apr 2018, 18:04 • #22 
Master Guide
Welcome Paul, an eight weight would be a good start, if you have access to a friend's line or a fly shop that will let you cast some demo lines, I would try a seven and a nine as well. I don't remember the model but years ago, I had a nine footer that cast a six weight beautifully.

Post 22 Sep 2018, 13:02 • #23 
Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is probably a problem without enough information but I will give it a shot.

This rod came into my possession 40 plus years ago but I have only recently become interested in fly fishing. I was guessing, so got a 7 weight line from Bass Pro and it doesn't work for beans. The rod is two piece and 8 feet long. It seems pretty stiff. Lacking any other information, if I get close to Pulaski, NY, there are a couple of shops there where I may be able to try a demo line. Is that FCL a date?

Thanks for any info or comments you might have.

Post 22 Sep 2018, 14:27 • #24 
Master Guide
Welcome to the forum, ceowens. Using the Shakespeare formula for dating, as outlined in the aforementioned wiki pages https://wiki.fiberglassflyrodders.com/wiki/Shakespeare, your rod is dated November 1958.

Are you certain the rod is 8' and not 7'9"? Shakespeare rods of 8' during the 50's were rather rare. One example for the 8' length rod that I noted is the 1440, which called for D, HDH, 4M lines, according to the Shakespeare chart. These lines approximate Level 7, DT 6, and WF 8 floating lines. I'd say your rod may shine most as an 8 weight.

Post 22 Sep 2018, 15:15 • #25 
Standman,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I re-measured and the overall length is 96 inches. That is, from the extreme end of the reel seat to the tip. Is that how rods are measured?

Thanks

New Topic Add Reply