It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 18:22

New Topic Add Reply
Another Glass Convert
Post 20 Sep 2018, 20:38 • #1 
Master Guide
My son is in his second year of fly fishing. Up until this week he's been using some moderate fast graphite rods. On Monday I rigged up a classic Fenwick FF805 (8' 5 weight) for him to use. We fished Monday and yesterday, and he absolutely loves it. Told me he can feel everything from the casting stroke to the bend of the rod when he catches a fish. He wants to fish it the rest of the year. Another glass convert.

Post 20 Sep 2018, 20:51 • #2 
Guide
Love it. My stepson went through the same thing except he started with an old eagle claw rod (one of the ones prone to having the tip fall off after a bit), then an eagle claw graphite, and then my Dad gave him a FF706. Whole new world for him now. He caught his first native brookie on our last trip up to NH. I can't wait for next year. My wife seems more onboard with a more "river-centric" vacation and less "tourist stuff". So hopefully there will be more wet lines and gobbled flies for all :D

Bob

Post 21 Sep 2018, 05:34 • #3 
Piscator
Time on the glass rod will also make you better at the graphite rod, because you'll better understand the feel and timing of rod loading.

Post 21 Sep 2018, 08:24 • #4 
Guide
I took one of my daughters out trout fishing last year (we couldn't make it this year due to weather and other things) and she used a Sage SLt, which seems softer compared to my other graphites. We were out there all day and she got some casting down and caught fish on her own. She loved it and hopefully will get out with me this fall. I've got a glass rod coming to me soon that I'm hoping to take and have her try. I think that it will help her and she'll like the feel, like Bulldog said.

Post 21 Sep 2018, 09:59 • #5 
Master Guide
all beginners should be taught to cast on Glass or older graphite. These new rods are not helping create the next generation.

Post 21 Sep 2018, 17:42 • #6 
Master Guide
Now you need another FF805. :)

Post 21 Sep 2018, 18:56 • #7 
Master Guide
I'm sure my wife would agree with that. :eek

Post 23 Sep 2018, 01:52 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
That ff805 is a terrific trout rod! I seriously regret selling mine. Glad you put a
Nice rode like that into your son’s hands.

New Topic Add Reply