It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 09:02

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
glass rods and DT lines
Post 20 Sep 2018, 05:55 • #1 
Guide
I am brand spanking new to this fiberglass thing. Recently acquired an FF 79 which i have tried with several different lines. I have some interest in acquiring an FF84 if i find a nice one at a decent price, although i am first trying to absorb the FF79 in my fishing. I think i will mostly use the FF79 for dry fly/ wade fishing on modest sized streams. Thus far, i have not had much success at long distance stillwater casting or drift boat dry fly fishing requiring a lot of casting and mending.

I have no experience with DT lines, on fiberglass or otherwise. Does a DT line in say a 5 wt behave similarly to a 5 wt designation in a WF line with a long head like Rio Trout LT or SA Trout? (I have tried these lines as well as a Rio WF 6 on the FF79.) Or perhaps more generally, how will the DT behave differently from a WF line in the same designated weight.

thanks for the help.

Post 20 Sep 2018, 06:23 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I use DT lines for most of my fishing with glass. I use WF if I’m in a situation where I would need to shoot line. DT also roll casts better. I think at most fishable distances DT lines are better for presentation. I would also stay away from the Rio Trout LTs. They are half a line size heavy. The best Rio Line for Glass is the Lightline. SA Trout Lines are all true to grain weight and are very good. I would also recommend looking at DT 406 Fly Lines. They are true to grain weight and the owner is a forum member.

Post 20 Sep 2018, 06:37 • #3 
Master Guide
A DT will handle exactly the same as a traditional WF design out to about 30 feet or so, then the DT does not taper down like the WF and therefore it will be a heavier line than the WF After 30 feet the WF will shoot better but mend not as efficiently. The DT will rollcast better after 30 feet than the WF. But when you get into Longbelly's (Longheads...) things change and they act more like a DT and also mend better than a traditional WF.
I like Longbelly lines like the Wulff as I never turn around the line after one side wears out, except with my Silk lines which I rotate end to end yearly.
Confusing huh.

Post 20 Sep 2018, 07:40 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
There are so many different WF tapers that it's hard to generalise. I really like Dts and long belly Wfs (almost a DT but not reversible and a bit less space on the reel).

I find that far too many of the new fangled WF tapers are one trick ponies or designed to mask casting deficiencies on the part of the operator. DT lines tend to be nicely versatile and plenty "honest".
If you have DT lines in a range of weights you will always find a line to match your rod for a given fishing application. Addressing the needs of the FF79 and FF 84, DT lines in 5wt and 6wt will cover most needs and if you are into light nymphing in low water you might even push as far as using a 4wt on the FF84.

Post 20 Sep 2018, 08:46 • #5 
Piscator
A WF line is made to shoot after you get the belly out - at that point, you can't keep more fly line in the air - also can't roll cast, because the skinny line won't turn over the belly.

A DT lets you handle endless lengths of line in the air, and roll cast to the limit of your skill.

Post 20 Sep 2018, 09:34 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Within your normal trout stream fishing distances, WF and DT are gonna behave the same, esp is you are talking about long belly WF's

Post 20 Sep 2018, 10:06 • #7 
Master Guide
Cortland Peach DT5 is the greatest line ever made. It’s a fact.

-Char Hunter

Post 20 Sep 2018, 11:01 • #8 
Guide
One other advantage of a DT, depending on your inclination, is that you can reverse the line when you feel the half you'd been using is not performing or worn out. Another possibility is reversing the line each season. This will help preserve the line as you can remove it, clean it thoroughly, and start with a clean line next yer. This works well if you only have a few lines but might not be practical if you have a number of lines.

Tom

Post 20 Sep 2018, 11:39 • #9 
Guide
You indicate a concern about casting and mending with your 7 1/2' fiberglass rod...I find it beneficial to use a reach cast almost all the time and especially with shorter rods (less than 8'). I have been fishing a 7'9" 4 wt fiberglass rod on the Gallatin lately and the need to complete a reach cast and IMMEDIATE mend is uniform of the day. I find that raising the (shorter) rods higher when mending is also necessary and I use the entire length of the rod, my 36 inch long arms and the entire arm and shoulder to make the mend...no wrist lifting.

Have fun,

Post 20 Sep 2018, 13:29 • #10 
Piscator
you can even reach a roll cast and reach should be second nature with trout fishing in moving water.

Post 20 Sep 2018, 17:56 • #11 
Master Guide
bulldog1935 wrote:
A WF line is made to shoot after you get the belly out - at that point, you can't keep more fly line in the air - also can't roll cast, because the skinny line won't turn over the belly.

A DT lets you handle endless lengths of line in the air, and roll cast to the limit of your skill.

What Bulldog said.

The only other thing to say is that they last longer because you can also use the other end after the first end is worn out.

Cheers,
Graeme

Post 20 Sep 2018, 18:04 • #12 
Guide
I very much appreciate all comments. Thank you. A DT line may be in my future. I looked at 406 and Cortland lines earlier today. I get the reach cast, but my casting, reach or otherwise, is a work in progress from a moving drift boat, on moving choppy water, with a rod tip much softer than i am used to, and a rod length a foot shorter than i am used to.

But i got the rod as a learning experience. And i am learning. I was able to cast across Lamar R. in YNP with a hopper and / or ant, and mend some and catch some decent cutts a couple weeks ago. It's the moving boat/ moving water combo currently confounding me.

I also got a new Medalist 1494 today to use on the FF79!

Post 20 Sep 2018, 21:28 • #13 
Piscator
you don't need reach in a drift boat, because you're moving with the line - just take up the slack

Mending is still important because of cross currents, and that's another reason to choose a DT - you can mend greater distances

Post 21 Sep 2018, 15:24 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
wthorpe:

As it is getting harder to find double tapers, I keep a list of STANDARD double taper lines (meaning NO compound tapers or heavy DT’s) which may give you some other options to look at. It is not an exhaustive list by any means.

Some of the lines have other quirks, which I’ll try and point out but this isn’t a review, I’ll leave that up to others:

Sci Angler Master DT – Welded loops both ends (which CAN be cut-off if desired)

Orvis Hydros DT – Loops both ends, different colors on each end

Rio Mainstream DT – No loops, one color

Airflow Super Dri Elite DT – Loops both ends, different colors AND front taper lengths on each end

406 – Loops both ends

Cortland 444 Peach – Loop on one end only

Cortland 444 Sylk – Loop on one end only

Last edited by Bamboozle on 21 Sep 2018, 22:12, edited 1 time in total.

Post 21 Sep 2018, 16:08 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for that listing. I just bought a couple of 406 lines but haven't put them on reels yet. They do have a loop, at least on one end.

Was just in a local shop and perused the Rio lines. I saw Lightline DTs but you didn't list them. Are they heavy like the Trout LT?

Post 21 Sep 2018, 16:20 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Tomah wrote:
Thanks for that listing. I just bought a couple of 406 lines but haven't put them on reels yet. They do have a loop, at least on one end.

Was just in a local shop and perused the Rio lines. I saw Lightline DTs but you didn't list them. Are they heavy like the Trout LT?

The Rio InTouch Trout LT DT and Trout LT DT, are compound tapers & heavy, the Rio Lightline DT is a compound taper so I only mentioned the Rio Mainstream since it is the only Rio offering that is a regular old fashioned DT.

That is not to say they aren't great performers, but they aren't they type of DT's I use which is why they weren't on my list.

Thanks for the 406 info BTW. ;)

Post 21 Sep 2018, 17:19 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
You're welcome, and thank you for the additional info about the Lightlines. I have two Trout LTs and was wondering about the difference.

Post 21 Sep 2018, 17:38 • #18 
Master Guide
AFAIK the Rio Trout LT lines are a half weight heavy. The Lightlines are true-to-weight. I used the Lightlines in a DT2 and DT3 for one season and ended up getting the same lines by 406. The 406 lines are much better for me. I prefer the olive color (the Lightline is half cream, half brown) and they fish wonderfully and float like a cork. They do have loops at both ends.

Post 21 Sep 2018, 20:40 • #19 
Guide
Bamboozle,

The 406 DTs have welded loops on both ends. Also line weights 2 through 5 come in 80' length and line weights 6 through 8 come in 90' length. The 2 through 5 weight lines were designed with 80' lengths to allow for more backing on the smaller reels from yesterday.

In the interest of full disclosure I'm the owner of 406 Fly Lines.

Tom

Post 21 Sep 2018, 22:14 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Tom & Salvelinus for the 406 info.

I updated my post and list. ;)

Post 22 Sep 2018, 07:46 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
DT line are all I use on glass, cane and everything else.

Post 22 Sep 2018, 10:33 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Same for me except for my warmwater set-ups. They are all WF's.

Post 22 Sep 2018, 14:00 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Bulldog's #5 post covers the basics of DT and WF nicely, but the WF I have used were rather abruptly tapered up front and came with less delicate presentation, all more noticeable in the heavier line weights.
I have several DT in various weights and as many WF and both work just as well as I can cast, DT lays out more delicate in larger weights, WF gets the short cast out sooner, but in moving water delicacy really does not matter in most cases and I would be just fine fishing with Level lines. Fishing weighted nymphs with a bobber or frog size bass bugs delicacy does not matter much.
Level lines (for me, at any rate) roll cast better than DT in close and mend better than WF at any distance. In lines lighter than 4/5wt I see no advantage to any taper, other than the colors available, can build those small tapers into the leaders easily.
In the streams I fish not much line is actually in use most of the time.

I think that maybe, in days gone by, the DT lines were developed primarily for the dry fly trout fisher and that the WF lines developed primarily for distance casting competitions, as both became available commercially anglers adapted them to their particular fishing style or adapted the style to the lines available.

Post 07 Oct 2018, 15:50 • #24 
Guide
I agree with Char Hunter - love the Peach DT 5 .

Post 13 Oct 2018, 10:10 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Porespeler wrote:
I agree with Char Hunter - love the Peach DT 5 .

Ditto that is what I use on my Lamiglass 7 1/2 ft, 4 wt.

I also buy the Bass Pro or Cabelas (probably not Cabelas any more) lines when they go on sale. Don’t know who makes them but I am sure it is a name we’d know. They are good lines, hold up well, and are worth every bit of the $29 sale price if you watch for them.

Hoping to buy a 406 in 4wt and 6wt some time for their reputation for floating well and to support a board member.

My (unproven) theory is that the welded loops might keep water from seeping into the core during a day fishing keeping the last few feet of line afloat. Mine always find their way to sink after a few hours of fishing.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply