It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 16:39

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 11 Sep 2018, 07:10 • #26 
Master Guide
The modern equivalent are the T type tungsten impregnated lines like the T-8, T-11, T-14 etc. Level lines you cut to desired length and weld or whip loops to, just like the old leadcore trick. T lines cast a bit better.

Whilest I have not conducted tests on every sinking line, or even a fraction of whats available, I will say that on my 8 weight rods, the Teeny 300 is the fastest sinking line, and one of the best casting lines, I have ever used. I also loved the Rio Leviathan 250, it was a 26' sinking head with intermediate sink running line. Cast like a rocket, sank quickly as well. I have tried Cortland and SA full sink lines and found casting them to be less enjoyable. They still didn't sink like the Teeny lines. The full sink running lines also seem to tangle more at my feet when fishing. I should use my stripping basket, I know, but it usually gets forgotten at home.

Post 11 Sep 2018, 17:31 • #27 
Guide
I saw this thread and thought I would let everyone know that Jim is also out of stock on his lines. I heard from a dealer recently that spoke to him and he is apparently running more lines in the next 6 weeks. The dealers should have lines in stock again in the next 8 weeks or so.

Post 11 Sep 2018, 18:55 • #28 
Piscator
Quote:
Subject: Jim Teeny Inc: Update Tracking #275

Hi Ron-
Thank you for your interest and support of Teeny lines. We are extremely close
to placing an order of our T and TS Series lines. If you would like to call me
at 800-501-6602 I will be happy to talk with you. Please stay in touch.

Thank you,
Jim Teeny

Post 13 Sep 2018, 22:24 • #29 
Sport
In a way this is a forum for fly fishermen with money to burn. Not exactly, but in a way.

I like to scrimp, and am somewhat an iconoclast. So I offer an alternative view. A full sinking level line will get deep if you let it and will troll on a level plane, more or less, if you let some backing out and don't try to pull a curve in the line. You can buy several for the price of anyone of the other lines mentioned here. I found a Cortland full sinking level line labelled as a trolling line. I think it is heavier than 5wt, but I'd have to dig it out to check. I've also found 5wt level full sinking level lines not labeled as tolling lines to be somewhat common under various lables. A level line is somewhat castable.

Before lines got so complicated ordinary fly fishermen got by with the very simple stuff. Like back in the way back days when fiberglass rods were the new kids on the block.

Post 15 Sep 2018, 14:34 • #30 
Master Guide
Back in the 60’s sinking lines were pretty much limited to SA Wetcels. This was a major breakthrough at the time and we immediately began cutting them up and making shooting heads or splicing them to floating lines to make a sink tip. Then some of the hardcore steelhead and salmon guys in Northern California like Bill Shaadt and Jim Green started cutting up leadcore trolling lines and making shooting heads. It took one hell of a caster to use these, but it did make it possible to reach fish in water that had previously been too deep and fast to fish. And it resulted in more fish being caught. As lines have evolved we have seen the market fill up with specialty lines. Among these are the Teeny T series lines, which are basically sinking shooting heads with integrated running line. These lines cast like rockets and sink fast, making them excellent tools to reach fish in deep water. Yes, you can improvise. You can make your own heads from trolling line or level sinking lines and save a few bucks or in my case because I like tinkering with them. But in the end, the best line is usually the one that was designed for the task at hand. For those who enjoy building your own lines, there is an excellent book by Al Buhr with detailed information on the subject.

http://www.redshedflyshop.com/LINESLOOPS.html

Post 19 Sep 2018, 14:21 • #31 
Guide
We figured out in this thread that a small diameter of the lines is key for fast sinking. That is also what smarter people than I figured http://flyfishingresearch.net/calcemyourself.html

I measured the sinkers I have with a vernier caliper. That is the best thing I have and supposedly exact to 0.05 mm. I could not figure how to properly read the inches, but they seemed less precise anyways.
Results:
Airflo Sniper S7 8wt: 1.1 mm (seems to be the same diameter for the whole head, I measured right behind the loop at the front end, at 3' and 10')
the whole head is supposedly 27.5 ' at 315 grains

T-11: 0.95 mm

T-14: 1.1 mm

What is the diameter of the Teeny T or TS series lines? Bulldog, may I kindly ask if you have a caliper handy? Maybe we get down to the potential Teeny magic.

Post 20 Sep 2018, 08:44 • #32 
Piscator
0.032" = 0.8mm
not going to peel it down to running line, but it's a lot skinnier.

If anybody is interested, there's a thread on TKF - on the saltwater page - but I've written long essays on sinking lines and techniques, including my soapbox about weighted flies - mostly on page 2 - page 1 has flies and great fishing stories, page 3 has eats - of course my slime lines and Teeny.
http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 1&t=248434

Post 20 Sep 2018, 11:16 • #33 
Guide
Thank you! Is that a T-300 ?

Post 20 Sep 2018, 15:27 • #34 
Piscator
T130, but I measured T200 also and they were the same.

ok, I'm back - measured my TS450 at 1.2mm, so a T-300 is going to be about 1.0mm

Post 21 Sep 2018, 07:27 • #35 
Guide
Thank you, very much appreciated. I checked that link. No doubt you have an impressive fishing record. Many fish, I can only dream of.

mmckenzie, mind chipping in the T-300?

I would also be interested in the diameters of other sinking lines if anybody else is willing to chip in. Diameter, grain weight and head length would be interesting. I could hack this into the online sink rate calculator.

Post 23 Sep 2018, 00:22 • #36 
Glass Fanatic
Great thread HFF. This has inspired me to pick up another Teeny line. I have the BS-100 for my 4wt Sceptre and I finally found a shop that had an old (new stock) T-130 that they dug out of their storage for me. I’ll tell you, it was tough to find, but I thought it’d be perfect for some Fall streamer fishing I have planned. :)

Post 23 Sep 2018, 01:46 • #37 
Master Guide
I don't have a micrometer, or I would. Sorry!

Post 01 Oct 2018, 23:47 • #38 
If you can get away with it, try using 10 yards of "lead core" for a shooting head. That'll get it down there quick. We started out flyfishing in the saltwater in southern California doing that. But remember to wear a BIG hat!

Post 02 Oct 2018, 07:05 • #39 
Piscator
that works perfectly for snagging sockeye, but it's not going to cast 40' and certainly not over 100'

Post 02 Oct 2018, 08:46 • #40 
Glass Fanatic
Can you explain that, just a bit? I have one of the Cortland 30' lead cores that I was going to use as a sink tip and never got around to cutting it. Steel-headers used to think they were great stuff til the T14 came out, so I read.

Post 02 Oct 2018, 11:44 • #41 
Piscator
fly lines won't turn them over - all they're good for is high-sticking or the dodge-lob for sockeye snagging.
The 30' you'll be able to add a few more feet to it until the belly of your fly line won't shoot.
Teeny T-series spliced shooting head is the sinking line that you can cast to the end of the line.
As I've mentioned, I've consistently (every cast when I pull out this much line) shot my TS250 out 140' including my backing and Allbright knot - that's where a longer running line would get more distance.

Post 02 Oct 2018, 15:11 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
I had thought the fly line eliminated in the casting picture, the plastic coated lead acting like the plastic coated tungsten fastened to a 'running line' and capable of shooting- never tried it though. I had thought to cut the 390g 30' to a shorter lighter piece and that 150g would act like 150g.
Thanks for the info saves me banging my head.

Post 02 Oct 2018, 18:25 • #43 
Piscator
you can buy shooting running line and use it behind your shooting head - that duplicates a teeny line except for the splice
https://www.flyshack.com/DisplayItem.aspx?ItemID=115998

Post 02 Oct 2018, 18:35 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
So the lead core will cast if the running line will shoot? I have an older level 5wt line that I had intended to use with this and rig for a 7wt rod.

Post 02 Oct 2018, 20:14 • #45 
Piscator
yes, if you get good at building up line speed before you shoot (a running line), 150' is possible.
But it won't be the level 5-wt, because it's not made to shoot, it's made to turn over leader and fly.

People who have never handled a Teeny line are really are short on clues about what they are.
A running line, including the line spliced to the back end of the teeny, is smaller diameter than the shooting head, not larger diameter.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 03 Oct 2018, 06:51, edited 2 times in total.

Post 02 Oct 2018, 21:49 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
Thank you, at this time I'll probably never do it but it is why I bought those lines.

Post 09 Jan 2019, 18:12 • #47 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
I saw this thread and thought I would let everyone know that Jim is also out of stock on his lines. I heard from a dealer recently that spoke to him and he is apparently running more lines in the next 6 weeks. The dealers should have lines in stock again in the next 8 weeks or so.

The Bears Den fly shop just posted that the Teeny lines are back in stock so anyone that was wanting a new Teeny line can order again.

https://www.bearsden.com/page79.html

Post 18 Jan 2019, 23:48 • #48 
Sport
This shop's website says they have 12 T-350's in stock. They also have 12 T-250's available as well.

https://www.bigyflyco.com/TeenyTS-Series-detail.htm

You might check and see about availability.

Good luck,
Coach

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply