It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 03:51

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 06 Sep 2018, 08:14 • #1 
Guide
Hi,
I am thinking about a line for my Epic Bandit. Need something to go really deep. This is about fishing Norwegian fjords, mostly slowly trolling. I have some experience with this. Used 30 ft of T14 on a mono running line, but my buddy had an old Teeny full sinking Spey line on his 8 weight that just went deeper and caught more fish. The Airflo Sniper Sink 7 that I also tried did not cut it. I am searching for something that might still be somewhat castable, so 250ft T-17 is rather not what I am searching for.
I searched around the internet and this forum a bit, but it did not help as much as I hoped. Therefore, I would like to draw on the hivemind of this knowledgeable forum with my specific question.
Which line goes down the fastest?

Post 06 Sep 2018, 08:17 • #2 
Piscator
Teeny. You can fish a TS-350 on an 8-wt, and won't have any problem shooting to the end of the line.

Post 06 Sep 2018, 14:21 • #3 
Sport
Fastest? A full-sinking line in which the whole line has a uniform sink rate.

I would have suggested that you consider a sinking line made with two sections that have different sink rates, like that Airflo Sniper you tried. That one, if I remember correctly, has something like a 25-30ish foot head that will sink at 3 or 7 inches per second, and then the running line is intermediate which will sink a little. Those kinds of lines are a lot more enjoyable to cast in my experience but since you already tried that it sounds like your only option is a full sinkif you gotta get down, you gotta get down. Your only option really is something like a Rio Deep 7. I don't know the Teeny line that bulldog mentioned but their website says it sinks at 7ips so the Rio would be about the same. Airflo's Sixth Sense line is also in that range, I think. Honestly I haven't heard of any sinking lines that would get down more than those. People who fish lakes have told me they get down like 30 ft with those lines.

If those don't cut it...I wonder if you could take something like a T-17 head and connect it to a lighter sinking line that would serve as the running line. Never heard of anyone doing that but I'm sure someone out there has played around with the idea.

Post 07 Sep 2018, 02:23 • #4 
Master Guide
I have a Teeny 300, it sinks pretty dang quick, and a few times I have hung it on bottom in 20-25 feet+ and thought I was going to loose the line, or snap it. It casts on an 8 weight. Usually one false cast then shoot.

Post 07 Sep 2018, 07:32 • #5 
Piscator
no one ever listens, though.
I caught suspended Snapper at an offshore platform on my TS-350.

It's not just the grain weight or published sink rate of the Teeny line.
It's the spliced long shooting head construction and the ultra fine diameter that makes All The Difference.
First thing a sinking line has to do is break the surface tension before it can begin to sink.
while the others are trying to sink, Teeny is already there.
The same way Teeny slices through the air, it slices through the water.

Airflo makes wonderful slime lines if you want to fish knee-to-waist deep.
The rest of the $$$$ on paper don't matter.
All that crap is just made to sell - Teeny is made to fish.
This means something.

These I targeted at 8' deep in a fast river on T-130 (they stack at the eddy above a submerged gravel bar - they also won't hit a stripped fly - I set up the drift to swing in front of their faces)

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 09 Sep 2018, 08:08, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Sep 2018, 09:08 • #6 
Guide
These are some impressive fish.

I noticed that the Teeny spey line my buddy caught fish on had a very thin diameter. Maybe it is indeed thinner than the Airflo I own. I will measure the airflo tonight, maybe we can compare?

However, my buddy's line was a full sinking spey line from Teeny. It casted surprisingly decently as it had some taper or at least a thinner running line. The thing is, I can not find those anywhere anymore. I could imagine that mhutchinson has a point that a full sinker might go deeper. The Teeny T and TS are fused to a floating or intermediate running line, right?

My buddy now fishes a Rio Deep7 full sinker in the fjords since the Teeny gave up and the guy at the shop recommended it for the purpose. He is up in Norway right now. I will ask him how that worked out when he is back.

Maybe it is the combination of Teeny+full sinking?

Bulldog, it sounds like you have had a chance to directly compare the Airflo vs Teeny? I mean, Airflo is raving about their “depth finder” as the fastest sinking line on the market. Not that much to it?

Thank you for the input

Post 07 Sep 2018, 09:43 • #7 
Piscator
no, that is not correct - I've fished full sinking lines, the only thing they add is they hang up around your feet. Too many of them sink at your feet before they sink at the tip - that breaking the surface tension thing.
used sink tip where they're appropriate, high-sticking deep chutes, which I can also do with a Teeny line.
But nothing goes down - or fishes - like a Teeny line.
I love my Airflo slime lines in the salt flats - my absolute favorite there, controlling depth mid-thigh deep over grass, and fish them more than floating lines, don't have to use a weighted fly, which yo-yo like bait never do.
but I don't have a reason to try the Airflo deeper sinking line, because I'm covered on Teeny to TS-450.
I've consistently shot my TS-250 140', including that much backing.

Contact Teeny and find out if they will ship to you.
http://www.jimteeny.com/
You should have already answered your own question by describing how your buddy's line fishes.

Subsurface fishing is entirely by feel. The larger the line, the greater the friction on the line, and the less you feel.
I often fish my teeny lines slowly crawling the bottom - there are fish that will follow and pick up the fly only at rest (white bass, trout), and can feel that with the teeny line.
and the fish hangs onto the fly because they don't feel resistance from the teeny line
I've caught 50 white bass on consecutive casts fishing this way (quit because the number was round), and 40 flounder on consecutive casts - could have caught more flounder, but it was cold and 10-mi boat ride back home - and my friends were getting tired of watching me.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 07 Sep 2018, 10:06, edited 4 times in total.

Post 07 Sep 2018, 10:10 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Having fished both 30' of T-14 and the Teeny T400 on my Bandit, my vote is for the Teeny. That said, for that rod, I prefer a shooting head in the 375-380 range, so if your not throwing monster flies, the Teeny TS350 as mentioned above would likely be a good choice. But if all you have is the T-14, cast, then throw a bunch of stack mends and it'll get down in a hurry, especially if you use a sinking running line.

There are also similar lines out there (Orvis Depth Charge which gets down in a hurry, SA & Airflo also have similar lines), but Teeny keeps the diameter of the sinking portion pretty thin which cuts through the water pretty good as well (edit: looks like Bulldog already touched on that). The only problem with Teeny lines I've encountered was two of the running lines breaking (kinda a big deal if you're not careful), which I've never had with anything not named Rio.

Cheers!

Post 07 Sep 2018, 10:15 • #9 
Piscator
new doesn't make it better - only the advertising is better

Post 07 Sep 2018, 10:20 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
only the advertising is better

although sometimes that's debatable...

Post 07 Sep 2018, 11:09 • #11 
Piscator
every time the topic comes up, people state/argue T-series lines are sink tips.
They have never used one, and really don't have a clue.
The tiny running line is buoyant around your legs when you're preparing to shoot, but the weight of the head takes it under, making a T-series line the straightest possible line from your rod tip to hook point.
Think about it - weight takes nylon monofilament under, which is just as buoyant.

Post 07 Sep 2018, 12:24 • #12 
Sport
herefishifishi wrote:
These are some impressive fish.

I noticed that the Teeny spey line my buddy caught fish on had a very thin diameter. Maybe it is indeed thinner than the Airflo I own. I will measure the airflo tonight, maybe we can compare?

However, my buddy's line was a full sinking spey line from Teeny. It casted surprisingly decently as it had some taper or at least a thinner running line. The thing is, I can not find those anywhere anymore. I could imagine that mhutchinson has a point that a full sinker might go deeper. The Teeny T and TS are fused to a floating or intermediate running line, right?

My buddy now fishes a Rio Deep7 full sinker in the fjords since the Teeny gave up and the guy at the shop recommended it for the purpose. He is up in Norway right now. I will ask him how that worked out when he is back.

Maybe it is the combination of Teeny+full sinking?

Bulldog, it sounds like you have had a chance to directly compare the Airflo vs Teeny? I mean, Airflo is raving about their “depth finder” as the fastest sinking line on the market. Not that much to it?

Thank you for the input

I have no direct experience with the Teeny lines and only a little experience with the other lines I mentioned, so keep that in mind.

The diameter component that bulldog mentions makes sense, in my mind, in terms of physics. It is not simply the weight of an item but the density (mass over volume). To elaborate, for anyone that cares, recall that old high school physics trick where you take a piece of paper and drop it, and it drifts down like a feather. But then when you crumple the same piece of paper (same mass) into a ball it drops much faster. That experiment was used to explain air resistance but the same basic thing applies under water. A smaller diameter line will have less resistance from the water. True, shape and density are not the same thing and they both factor into resistance and this whole concept is more complicated than I'm making it here but for the sake of this discussion it is density that really matters.

Sounds like that Teeny line might be worth searching for.

Post 07 Sep 2018, 13:14 • #13 
Sport
bulldog1935 wrote:
every time the topic comes up, people state/argue T-series lines are sink tips.
They have never used one, and really don't have a clue.
The tiny running line is buoyant around your legs when you're preparing to shoot, but the weight of the head takes it under, making a T-series line the straightest possible line from your rod tip to hook point.
Think about it - weight takes nylon monofilament under, which is just as buoyant.

I was mostly speculating when I said a full sinking line might take you deeper so that could be easily be wrong.

But here's something to consider, and I bring this up not to be argumentative but because I'm genuinely curious. I figured that a full sinking line, or at least a sinking head/intermediate running line might give you a straighter connection between fly and rod tip which would get your fly deeper for a given length of line.

Throw out the full sinking line for now and just consider a floating vs intermediate running line, for the sake of this discussion. The fact that the Teeny's running line is floating rather than intermediate is the only reason I wonder if a different setup could get you deeper.

With a sinking head/floating running line, the buoyancy of the running line will be pulling the sinking head up at least a little. Consider the Rio MOW tips for you spey casters out there. For those who are unfamiliar, they are designed for skagit setups and basically consist of some section of sinking line spliced to some section floating or intermediate line. The sink/float tips basically end up with kind of a bow shape between rod tip and fly. Sinking section wants to sink, floating section wants to float. This was by design so you could do things like swing a fly through a bucket behind a rock without your line getting hung up on the rock. The sink/intermediate tips give a straighter connection between the rod tip and fly because the intermediate section is not fighting the sinking section as much. That is obviously not a technical explanation at all but I can't think of a better way to put it.

There's a diagram in this article that shows the idea:
http://outdoorsandnature.com/fishing/imow-mow-tips/

But...those MOW tips are like 10' in total length so they'll be, for example, 7.5' sink/2.5' float/intermediate. And perhaps more importantly the sinking and floating sections are about the same diameter and mass. So not a great comparison, perhaps. With a 30' sinking head and super thin running line maybe the running line's buoyant force is negligible, especially if you're only trying to get down like 20'. The more I think about it the more correct that last sentence sounds.

Gah, I might have to get one of those Teeny lines myself just to experiment with. It's all speculation without real data, after all.

Post 07 Sep 2018, 14:24 • #14 
Piscator
The bane of good casting/shooting out line is hinge. Hinge also bites you after you get the line out and are trying to fish.
Weighted flies hinge, sink tips hinge. Fly lines are not made to turn over heavy weighted tips in front of them.
I have done this before, and made up my own 10' deep-water express loop-on tip for snagging sockeye - it worked at correct sockeye snagging distance (close in), but it's a pain.
(I guess it's no more or less of a pain than any other sockeye-snagging rig)

Sinking lines designed like less-buoyant WF flylines are wrong, and everything is wrong about a sink tip.
Where sink tip works is getting it out normal trout-fishing distance (maybe twice your rod length), and high-sticking - also where you're using this, the water is fast enough a fish is going to hook itself.
The big exception is an intermediate density line, where your goal is not to get to the bottom, but hover mid-column in waist-deep water (or countdown in still water and get a little deeper). These basically end up being wind-cheating WF lines.

Sinking shooting heads work. Nothing about them turns to the side - they cast better than WF floating lines - they build up line speed instantly, loop perfectly and shoot beyond perfectly.
I have stood there looking at my Teeny line shooting through the guides and wondering if it was ever going to stop.

I have consistently shot my TS-250 140' in the surf, which includes 25' of backing - I tie clean Allbright knots - I was using a basket. I'm talking every cast.
If you're only shooting out 60-70' with a T-130, etc, it's virtually effortless.
I've done this before, and have 40 years of not speculating, but results.
A T-series line is the straightest possible line between your rod tip and hook point.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 08 Sep 2018, 08:37, edited 3 times in total.

Post 07 Sep 2018, 17:01 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Sadly, the teeny lines have been out of stock at most shops for a long time. I recently had to replace my t-130. I managed to find one, but doesn’t seem to sink as fast as the old one.

Post 07 Sep 2018, 17:06 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
One of the problems with the T14 head that I have is when the fish takes the fly and then goes to jump. The line from my tiptop is going down and the fish is 3 ft in the air. The shape of the line is like the suspension line of the Golden Gate Bridge. I don't know if the Teeny line fixes that, but I'm going to have to try it next spring.

Post 07 Sep 2018, 23:15 • #17 
Piscator
something else with sinking lines, you shouldn't be using long leaders - 4-5', maybe add 18" tippet.
Teeny makes great 4' tapered T-series leaders - in freshwater, I attach them with a zap splice, and the line glides over any bottom.
In the salt for toothy fish like jacks and mackerel, a 5' butt of 30-lb Mason with 2' of 12-15-lb braided wire works great - attach your fly with a crimp sleeve.

Post 09 Sep 2018, 21:15 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Methinks Bulldog has this pretty squared away...

So, if a person was only to buy one sinking line to use on a 5 or 6 wt...which Teeny line would it be?

Some years back I bought a Cabelas fast sinking sink-tip line and it hinges badly. Never fish it.

Post 09 Sep 2018, 21:54 • #19 
Master Guide
I have found the T-130 to be the most useful all around Teeny line in the 5-6 wt range. I have used this line for years for everything from White bass in central Texas to bottom hugging browns in Montana.

Post 09 Sep 2018, 23:56 • #20 
Piscator
Donny, T-130. T-200 can fish on a 6-wt, but is really too heavy for a 5.
Get Teeny's 4' tapered leaders also. I usually buy 3x and tie on 4x tippet on a T-130, though when I was targeting stripers, rigged with 2x leaders and 12-lb Seaguar tippet.
Also think backing - the full line only takes up 1/4" on a spool.

Post 10 Sep 2018, 00:44 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
Where can you get these Teeny lines? their site says 'out of stock' and doesn't indicate that they intend to restock?

Post 10 Sep 2018, 07:29 • #22 
Piscator
the site does show their leaders are in stock. I sent and inquiry, and will post if I get a reply.

Post 10 Sep 2018, 08:54 • #23 
Guide
There is news from my buddy from Norway. He used the Airflo sixth sense Di8 full sinking. He said it was going down faster than the Teeny spey line and that it was great from the belly boat. It did not cast very well though because the sinking running line was so heavy. He said he would not like to fish it from shore, but from the boat it was the fastest sinker he has had so far.

I think I understand the points made above. It totally makes sense that a floating running line might slow down the sink. However, maybe the Teeny lines still sink faster than most because Teeny somehow managed to keep the density of the head higher and the diameter smaller than the others and the small diameter running line might not matter much for average density. Regarding diameter, a smaller diameter at the same weight has a twofold effect, it increases density and reduces friction. Might especially play a role when trolling because friction increases with speed. In order to smartass: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stokes%27s_law Cylinders (fly lines) are of course no spheres, but I think it is a starting point.

That the Teeny lines cast very well seems common ground. That was also my impression from the full sinking spey line that casted surprisingly well on the single hander. They seem to be tough to come by though. Seems to me that they are not produced any more.

Anybody in for buying all the fast sinkers and doing a shootout? I think direct comparison under fairly standardized conditions is the way to go. Yellowstone Angler's, are you listening? :)

Thanks for all the input

Post 10 Sep 2018, 09:16 • #24 
Piscator
thanks for the update

Post 10 Sep 2018, 18:16 • #25 
Guide
I wonder how all the previously mentioned options compare to the old trick of using a length of lead-core trolling line to make a shooting head. Of course it is an abomination to cast, but it does sink fast.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply