It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 06:35

New Topic Add Reply
outboard advice
Post 18 Apr 2018, 13:00 • #1 
Guide
I know I'm pushing the limits regarding subject matter, but when I go bass fishing in a boat it's with a fiberglass fly rod, so maybe I'm not off -subject after all.

Here's my question. I use a Grumman Sportboat, a modern version of a model Grumman's been making for decades; a perfect fishing boat. I fish it mostly with a 55-lb thrus trolling motor, but I'd like to pep it up a little with an outboard.

You read reviews on rods and most people have good things to say; you read reviews on small outboards, 2/12 hp to 4 hp range, modern four-strokes, and everyone seems to hate them. Merc, Honda, Yamaha--doesn't even matter the brand, people complain about hard to start, cranky with gas, expensive, heavy, etc. etc. I even looked at those Lehr propane models, but people seem to hate them, too.

Does anyone have a small outboard they can wholeheartedly recommend? I MUCH appreciate it.

Re: outboard advice
Post 18 Apr 2018, 13:52 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
If you bow mount your electric, you have many higher thrust options available at 24 and 36 volt. Even can get transom mounted 36 at 105 lbs. thrust.

Edit - I looked up the Grumman Sportboat and see it is a square stern, so disregard the bow mounted comment..

Last edited by jhuskey on 18 Apr 2018, 14:15, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Apr 2018, 14:07 • #3 
Sport
I use a 1.5 hp Evinrude on my 15' square stern canoe with no problem. It's a older 2 stroke motor with a self contained fuel tank and weighs about 15 lbs.

Post 18 Apr 2018, 14:48 • #4 
Guide
It may be too big for your needs, but I have a Briggs & Stratton 5hp 4-cycle out board. It's a just Briggs lawn mower engine mounted on a drive unit. Air cooled, easy on gas, and remarkably quiet for an outboard. This is not a high speed screamer, just a nice small unit that will just barley plane a 14 foot aluminum skiff with 2 people and gear. Uses 1/2 gallon per hour at full throttle so a 3 gallon tank is ample for a days outing.

FYI - this motor weighs in at 56 lbs.

Last edited by cjtarbox on 19 Apr 2018, 14:57, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Apr 2018, 15:43 • #5 
Guide
Thanks for the remarkably quick responses. Yeah, there are some dealers in NH who specialize in restoring 2-strokes, which are lighter than the new ones, so I've been thinking of going that route, too. But for $1,000 for a new small outboard, you think they would be perfect, which apparently they're not, with people saying the outboard guys have perfected the big 4-strokes, but can't figure out small ones, which are very sensitive to damp and/or old gas. Maybe I should choose one based on color: a Honda would match my aluminum boat, and look nice with my Heddon Mark IV.

Post 18 Apr 2018, 15:46 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Placement of this query isn't that important, but I figured it would get a more attention in Fishing--a classic small craft rig going well with class 'glass--than in collecting.

That's a great boat for prowling ponds and rivers. With an outboard, I'd want enough to make slow upstream progress in fairly stiff river currents. But as a fishing craft, it will be better not laden with too large a motor, plus I'd want to be able to lug it easily. I think that's well under 10 hp The other thing I'd do is check for any horsepower restrictions on the waters fished and be sure to stay under that.

Post 18 Apr 2018, 17:58 • #7 
Master Guide
I've owned many outboards on small boats (too many according to my wife). My last one was a Tohatsu, one cyclinder 5 horse; couldn't kill that engine.

Post 18 Apr 2018, 18:04 • #8 
Sport
I acquired a Sportboat several years ago. It came with an old 1971 Johnson 6 hp motor. While the motor ran pretty well, it was more horse power than the boat needed and it was due for some maintenance. After extensive research, I bought a new four-stroke Suzuki 4 hp motor. The reviews on this motor were very good. It has a higher displacement and better corrosion resistance than the others you mentioned. I have put about 30 hours on the motor and have thus far been very pleased with it. It pushes the boat just as well as the 6 hp did and starting has not been a problem. I have had no problems with the gas but I run the 89 grade gas and treat it with the blue Sta-bil Marine. So, I can recommend this motor to you.

Post 18 Apr 2018, 20:02 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
The briggs may be an option ,They have been building air cooled small 4 strokes forever.I know a couple guys that use them on small john boats to get to their duck blinds.I hear that sta-bil makes the 10% ethanol added gas we use here fix some of the problems with 4 strokes.I like riding in a boat with a 4 stroke as you can actually talk and hear while running full throttle.Looking at pics i think you could rig a bow mount.Just dont forget to rig a fixed rudder on the stern.

Post 19 Apr 2018, 08:02 • #10 
Guide
Thanks to all for the good advice, which is something I've come to value about the Forum.

Post 19 Apr 2018, 10:29 • #11 
Guide
I found a (mfg 1980) Johnson 2.3 hp on the local classified app. The seller had bought it new as a backup for his sail boat and had never used it. I picked it up for a 100 bucks and it has run very well rain or shine heat or cold for 3yrs now. The only thing I have to watch is gas with ethanol, a little additive and gas without ethanol and she is a gem. I think there are some great deals to be found out there. Good luck.

Post 19 Apr 2018, 18:48 • #12 
Inactive
I have a 4 hp Mariner purchased in 1985 that is still going strong. I believe they were made by Johnson.

Post 19 Apr 2018, 21:05 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Mariner is Mercury.

Key with ethanol containing gas, is to use fresh gas. Never let it sit for long - dump it into your car where it will be diluted and used up, then buy fresh gas for the outboard, mower, etc. Gasoline without ethanol can be found, but not at many places.

Post 20 Apr 2018, 04:17 • #14 
FFR Founder
I have a Grumman Sportboat as well! My experience has taught me that a 2 stroke, 2 cylinder, short shaft 4 or 5 hp Johnson or Evinrude is the best bet. The modern 4 stroke outboards are too heavy for solo excursions in that your bow will ride way too high without bothersome ballast forward. Additionally, if you trailer the Sportboat it is not recommended that you keep the engine on the transom. I stow my outboard in the back of my truck and put it on the boat when I launch. 2 strokes are considerably lighter and make this a much easier task.
For a while I had a modern Nissan 3.5 hp 4 stroke and it was an abomination at idle and low speed trolling. Wide open it was fine, but what good is that to a fisherman?
I am aware of the ecological benefits of a 4 stroke and I don't mean to dismiss them out of hand, but for really small engines, which is what is called for on a Sportboat, I find a 2 stroke to be too dependable, lightweight and inexpensive to both purchase and operate to resist.
I do paddle and row it a lot too.

Post 20 Apr 2018, 12:23 • #15 
Guide
Flytackle--Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I had a 3/12 outboard on it, Evinrude, built in Milwaukee in l954!!! Had it restored and it worked fine until it didn't. I think I may take your advice and buy an older 2-stroke, but not one 64 years old this time.

That Grumman Sportboat is some boat, eh? I think Small Boat Magazine once put it in its top five small boats ever made. It rows like a dream, and you can paddle it okay, at least when you're working a shoreline; older models had sailing rigs with them. I never thought I'd own an aluminum boat, but there's zero upkeep involved, and it's indestructible. There's something about its lines that get people to stop and ask about it; I believe it was modeled on those squareback Grand Lake Stream canoes in Maine. In fact, a guy who lives in Grand Lake Stream told me that the most famous current builder of Grand Lakers actually has a Sportboat as his main fishing boat.

Post 20 Apr 2018, 17:13 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
How about 24v electric?

Post 21 Apr 2018, 04:48 • #17 
FFR Founder
WD68 it is a great design. I love my Sportboat!

Post 21 Apr 2018, 13:35 • #18 
I too, have a Grumman Sport Boat, picked it up used in the late 70's.It came with a 10 hp, 2 stroke Mercury outboard, worked great in the big rivers (Yukon & Tanana) up here. I got a good deal at a sport show on a 2 hp, 4 stoke Honda, starts easy (like all Honda products I have had), sips gas, easy on and off, as it is very light, great for lake trolling at high idle and pushes the boat right along wide open with two fisherman and overnight camp gear. Haven't tried it on the big rivers yet or any river for that matter.
Can't say enough good things about the Grumman Sport Boat either.

Post 22 Apr 2018, 12:39 • #19 
Guide
After the excellent feedback, I'm leaning toward buying a 2 1/2 hp. Suzuki four-stroke. Not too heavy, so I can lift it on and off, and most of the time when I have the outboard attached there will be someone in the bow to act as ballast (as well as listening to my fish stories.) Times when I'm out alone, I'll probably stick with the 55-thrust trolling motor on the stern, which does the job on the rivers I fish most...As is evident from the responses, the Grumman Sportboat is the fiberglass fly rod of all small fishing boats!

Post 22 Apr 2018, 19:40 • #20 
Master Guide

Enjoy four stroke motors for environmental reasons and a noted above they are quiet. Buy fresh high grade or sport gas and you should be all set. Biggest complaint on vintage Honda four stroke is that it does not allow me to troll as slowly as I would like at times for the light canoe shown above. Heard this issue has been addressed with newer model small Honda four stroke motors, yet no first hand knowledge.

Have used two stroke motors on all manner of small craft with great success in the past. A traditional sporting camp I know of seeks out vintage two stroke motors as the owner feels they are superior to the latest offerings and four stroke motors in general.

New Topic Add Reply