It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:49

New Topic Add Reply
Post 07 Dec 2017, 15:21 • #1 
Guide
Hello all,

As I sit in the office and watch a few flakes fall (snow not dandruff ; )), my mind slips off to dream of an upcoming trip to Florida with the family. We are going to stay in Cape Coral for about 10 days and fishing is at the top of the list of priorities. If anyone has suggestions on species to target, gear, flys and rigs to bring I have never fished Florida and any info is greatly appreciated. The condo rental has kayaks and we can use them to fish the canals, but I think we may also try a few piers (not ideal for fly rods I would guess) and surf spots.

Dave

Post 08 Dec 2017, 06:17 • #2 
Guide
you should checkout the floridasportsman.com
I would bring 6-8wt rods ...also you can catch bass on the fly down there in the ditches around cape coral (watch for gators)
size 1-1/0 gurglers,clousers,sliders or shrimp /crab flies ( toads, kwans)
do a search on
sanibell area beach,causeway Norm Zeigler's Fly Shop
..and ding darling

Post 09 Dec 2017, 01:45 • #3 
Guide
My recommendation is to go with a guide your first time. I went down to Bradenton back in April and went with a guide to fish the mangroves and flats for my first tropical fly fishing venture. I learned a lot. Next year I'll be renting a kayak. You'll definitely need a 7 or 8 wt. for fishing in salt. And like Sport said, do watch for Gators. I remember as a kid fishing the canals with my grandfather and those Gators can be huge and are not shy of humans.

Post 10 Dec 2017, 09:03 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
You don't mention when exactly you are going but sounds like soon so expect the beaches to be slow overall as the fish will move inland as the water temperatures cool. You have to remember even if the water temp at the beach is 70 the fish are used to it being much warmer. So that being said the canals could be very productive.

If you do any freshwater I have done very well with a chartreuse over white 'cat's whisker' fly for largemouth in FL.

Post 11 Dec 2017, 00:11 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
If you want to get some different species on your life list, check out the little white road in the SE part of this map. (rt 94, "loop rd , Big Cypress Nat'l Preserve.) There isn't much there to interest the locals, but to a visitor it can be fascinating. Little swamp creeks pass under the road, and there are pools at each crossing. With a light rod and a small yellow streamer, in a few short stops driving through I caught bass, bluegill, red ear sunfish, chain pickerel, mayan cichlids, oscars, and a small alligator. The 'gators are actually very friendly and I just hope I didn't hurt him leaving a fish and fly in his mouth.

Post 11 Dec 2017, 09:08 • #6 
Guide
Thank you very much for the replies; I will get busy with some more research and on the tying bench. There are definitely some species that are cool and interesting that I would like to add to my list. We are looking forward to the trip, I think we will be there for about 10 days at the end of January early February.

Dave

Post 18 Dec 2017, 13:47 • #7 
Guide
Wild nature and great pictures!

Post 18 Dec 2017, 21:09 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Newfydog, that is great info and awesome photos!

Post 19 Dec 2017, 06:47 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Those Mayans fight like heck too! I call them turbo charged panfish.

Post 19 Dec 2017, 08:36 • #10 
Guide
We are getting excited! Those pics are awesome, when I showed the boys they couldn't wait to get there. jhuskey I saw a post about some flats flys that I may try and tie up, anyone think a steelhead fly would work? Thanks for all the info.

Dave

Post 20 Dec 2017, 13:52 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
For flies, check out Captain Bert's Okefenokee Swamp Sally. They are available anywhere in So. Georgia which advertises beer and worms, but if you look at the pictures you'll get an idea of what to tie.

Post 26 Dec 2017, 20:19 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Gonna bring that System 7? ;)

New Topic Add Reply