It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 08:02

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Re: December Brookies
Post 06 Dec 2017, 11:08 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
Interesting, and thanks for the tying tips. I have some orange beads coming in the mail :) I kind of wonder if there is some kind of October Caddis connection.

I've noticed that sometimes in summer brookies in Sierra lakes will pursue beadhead scuds with gusto. Gray or olive with flashback has worked at times, so I usually carry those. Have also caught a few goldens and rainbows on scuds, too.

Post 06 Dec 2017, 11:22 • #27 
Guide
Odonata wrote:
Interesting, and thanks for the tying tips. I have some orange beads coming in the mail :) I kind of wonder if there is some kind of October Caddis connection.

I've noticed that sometimes in summer brookies in Sierra lakes will pursue beadhead scuds with gusto. Gray or olive with flashback has worked at times, so I usually carry those. Have also caught a few goldens and rainbows on scuds, too.

Tonight I will post a few pictures I what I have and used.

When I was in the sierras this year goldens hammered this fly.
ImageCalitripoct-26 by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Post 06 Dec 2017, 12:31 • #28 
Glass Fanatic
What an incredibly gorgeous fish!

Post 06 Dec 2017, 20:00 • #29 
Glass Fanatic
Nice outing ! Hey what's with the cars in the background of the last photo ... is that also a popular hiking trail along the stream ??

Pecos

Post 07 Dec 2017, 06:26 • #30 
Guide
pecosjuan wrote:
Nice outing ! Hey what's with the cars in the background of the last photo ... is that also a popular hiking trail along the stream ??

Pecos

Yep! There are a few creeks/streams on this path that fork off. Normally one of the few there with a pole.

Post 07 Dec 2017, 07:52 • #31 
Guide
beautiful brookies!!
x2
trout always put a smile on my face..great trip!

Post 07 Dec 2017, 08:34 • #32 
Master Guide
Lovely fish.

Post 07 Dec 2017, 13:55 • #33 
Guide
My latest rainbow here in NH was on Dec. 15 two years ago--temps in the 60's, and fish rising to midges on our local pond. That was quite a month. On Christmas, fifteen of us, sort of a "flash mob," went swimming in the same pond, and we have the pictures to prove it.

Every year I vow to fly fish all winter, but, truth be told, the chances to do it in northern New England are pretty limited, unless I'm missing something. You hear rumors about sea-run trout in Maine and coastal NH, but it's hard to get anything definite on it.

Beautiful, those brookies!

Post 07 Dec 2017, 15:07 • #34 
Glass Fanatic
@WD68, Think Rye + browns=searuns
Look at this report and any stream stocked with B trout that connects to the ocean has good chance of sea run trout returning to spawn. Should be there in late fall/winter.
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing ... l-2016.pdf
They will be very spooky in the day time.

Post 09 Dec 2017, 18:28 • #35 
Glass Fanatic
Gorgeous colors on that first one! Very cool!

Post 09 Dec 2017, 20:04 • #36 
Master Guide
Beautiful golden! They are definitely on my bucket list right next to cutties and grayling.

Post 10 Dec 2017, 08:54 • #37 
Guide
Beautiful pics, nice job. What state?
Love the grip on your rod, what is the material?

Post 10 Dec 2017, 11:05 • #38 
Guide
cappy wrote:
Beautiful pics, nice job. What state?
Love the grip on your rod, what is the material?

VA. We normally fish NC/VA boarder. The material is a black foam that Chris found for this rod and my 8/9wt. I really enjoy the material over cork.
Char Hunter wrote:
Beautiful golden! They are definitely on my bucket list right next to cutties and grayling.

Thanks! I really want to chase cutty's this year. :)

Post 10 Dec 2017, 13:12 • #39 
Glass Fanatic
If you want to chase Cutties I would suggest coming to the MT Clave

Post 10 Dec 2017, 15:11 • #40 
Guide
WOW brookies in December....I'm seriously jealous! I don't have that opportunity here in VT. Well done! nice pix and fish! :)

Post 11 Dec 2017, 10:26 • #41 
Guide
dustdog12 wrote:
If you want to chase Cutties I would suggest coming to the MT Clave

Awesome! Can you give me details?

sgoodroe wrote:
WOW brookies in December....I'm seriously jealous! I don't have that opportunity here in VT. Well done! nice pix and fish! :)

I know. We are very lucky around these parts.

Odonata wrote:

Pictures will be up tonight. I have been a little busy!

Post 11 Dec 2017, 14:38 • #42 
Glass Fanatic
My orange beads and yarn came in, so I tied some yesterday in 12 and 14, on caddis pupa-style hooks with gold or copper wire ribbing. Never thought I would use orange beads for trout flies :) but they look quite fetching, we'll see what the trout think about them in the spring. Might try tempting bluegills with them in the meantime ...

I figured you had other things to do, but pictures of your creations would be great !

Post 12 Dec 2017, 13:10 • #43 
Guide
Odonata wrote:

Trev wrote:
Beautiful fish. Good pics. Frank Sawyer had a Killer Bug that I used to use a lot, is yours the same except the bead?

Here are a couple pictures of what I usually tie with.

12/14/16 Czech or wide gap hook ( I will be using all FireHole sticks once I am out ) - Or jig style hook
Oyster or Salmon Thread
Orange/Red/Green for the hotspot
Orange/Black bead or thread head
Green/Copper/Pink thin wire for outer body
Thick UV if I want these to go deep or a dab of zap gap for normal

ImageUntitled by Dave Fason, on Flickr
ImageUntitled by Dave Fason, on Flickr

Hope this helps! They just work!
-Dave

Post 08 Jan 2018, 09:35 • #44 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks again for the tips. Got out in the packraft yesterday in between winter storms. Bluegill seem to like these too :)

Tied this one on a #12 barbless emerger-style hook. I did a bit of testing with some jig-style bugs on local streams, and noted that the paint on the orange beadheads I bought tends to chip rather easily. Do you find that to be the case ? Perhaps it is only the cheap ones...

Post 08 Jan 2018, 14:50 • #45 
Guide
Odonata wrote:
Thanks again for the tips. Got out in the packraft yesterday in between winter storms. Bluegill seem to like these too :)

Tied this one on a #12 barbless emerger-style hook. I did a bit of testing with some jig-style bugs on local streams, and noted that the paint on the orange beadheads I bought tends to chip rather easily. Do you find that to be the case ? Perhaps it is only the cheap ones...

Heck yea! Glad to see it works for them too. Mine have not chipped.

Post 11 Jan 2018, 22:02 • #46 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful brookies but, the Golden is spectacular. Interesting take on the Killer Bug. I’ll ha e to try the orange beadhead

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply