It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 08:48

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply
Post 30 Nov 2017, 11:29 • #51 
Master Guide
Some of the most fun you'll have on a fly rod...

Here's a big ol' upper Niagara River carp on the Lowcountry Flats Glass prototype.

Post 30 Nov 2017, 13:04 • #52 
Glass Fanatic
Marty that looks like an awesome fly rod gamefish!

BD, I agree with difference between invasive species. As much as I love smallmouth bass, I would not introduce to waters in Texas with native trout or other native bass. I think largemouth bass is invasive.

Post 30 Nov 2017, 15:09 • #53 
Glass Fanatic
Some people are even thankful for invasive trash fish. Of course, here in Oregon they have moved things like brown trout and brook trout to that list. There is a fascinating book in defence of invasive creatures:

The New Wild: Why Invasive Species Will Be Nature's Salvation
by Fred Pearce
https://www.amazon.com/New-Wild-Invasiv ... s=new+wild

Post 30 Nov 2017, 16:58 • #54 
Glass Fanatic
Although in my lifetime things have changed drastically for the better,"trash" fish were the only ones thriving in my area.Used to repeat the phrase"we destroy the water quality to the point that only carp can live in it,then we blame the carp.As the heavy industry has all but gone,water quality has improved at an amazing rate.the carp are still there,so are the drum.But so are the smallmouths white bass crappies walleyes sauger pike musky bluegills perch gars suckers redhorse buffalo and all the little fish and creatures they feed on.i remember years ago when a very polluted stream started coming back we could catch pike in a discharge all winter.An old guy,a regular at this spot told about his catch of some nice crappies ,unheard of at the time in this river.Said he took a few home for dinner.Asked him how they tasted,he replied"fabric softener".

Post 30 Nov 2017, 19:41 • #55 
Guide
Here in Vermont, about 20 years ago white perch started showing up again in Lake Champlain. The guys that like catching yellow perch by the bucket load had a fit and complained that they were invasive destroying the fishery. While talking to several older anglers (in their '80's and '90's) I found out the white perch were there when they were young, but had disappeared probably due to pour water quality and over fishing. Well now here we are in 2017, the commercial fishing is long gone from the lake (except for yellow perch and smelt through the ice) and Champlain is one of the cleanest lakes in the country.......But the once native white perch, who were once gone but now thriving once again are considered invasive and evil. Go figure.

Post 30 Nov 2017, 19:49 • #56 
Glass Fanatic
No sense to it. But a good feed of white perch is something I miss from my youth.

Post 01 Feb 2018, 00:13 • #57 
Master Guide
ImageImageImageImage

What’s a trash fish? I guess it depends on one’s perspective. I like catching catfish on the fly. They fight hard and are very abundant out on the lake next to my house. They’ll eat a bugger, a crawfish pattern, even a deer hair diver. They often save the day when I want something to tug at my line. Image

Gar are fun, but I like it when they do the long distance release.
Grass carp are a tough sell and make for excellent target practice. Tilapia in all sizes were common in the lake until the last cold snap. Thousands are now rotting in the lake. They are also tough to get to take a fly.

Hard head catfish are the ultimate trash fish in the saltwater. Not good to eat, not big, dangerous spines. Gaff-topsail catfish are nearly as bad and way worse for sliming up line. I hate ladyfish and will change locations if they show up or just not fish when they are in the water. They stink, they’re ugly, they tear up flies and tippet. Atlantic Cutlassfish are another fish I hate to see on the line. Gruesome looking and teeth destroying flies.

Post 01 Feb 2018, 18:41 • #58 
Master Guide
8 pound channel caught today off the dock on the 5/6 CGR. 17 days removed from hip replacement surgery, I'll take it!Image

Post 01 Feb 2018, 19:15 • #59 
Glass Fanatic
Some good eatin', too -- way to go!

Post 01 Feb 2018, 20:34 • #60 
Guide
I guess I've never caught anything I would consider a trash fish. Sure I'm disappointed to hook a yellow perch when I'm pike fishing, or a creek chub when I'm after brookies.....but to me any fish is better then no fish, and they are ALL fun to catch. :)

Post 02 Feb 2018, 09:06 • #61 
Glass Fanatic
I went to a fly fishing club meeting last night and the presentation was by the Colorado Department of Parks and Wildlife. One series of slides showed that Spinney Mountain Reservoir, a renowned big-trout lake that also holds pike, has a large (and growing) population of yellow perch. Now I'm mainly a trout fisherman, but I'm going to go out there and see if I can catch a mess of perch for dinner! A pike is on my list too, but they're considered gamefish anyway.

Post 02 Feb 2018, 10:26 • #62 
Glass Fanatic
Tomah wrote:
Spinney Mountain Reservoir, a renowned big-trout lake that also holds pike, has a large (and growing) population of yellow perch.

When ever I see these signs in France, I think of Spinney Mountain. The trout people were apoplectic when the pike bloomed forth. This sign says, "catch and release only for pike, five fish a day limit for trout."

Post 02 Feb 2018, 11:38 • #63 
Glass Fanatic
That's good! Different places, different values...

Post 02 Feb 2018, 12:14 • #64 
Glass Fanatic
Tomah wrote:
I went to a fly fishing club meeting last night and the presentation was by the Colorado Department of Parks and Wildlife. One series of slides showed that Spinney Mountain Reservoir, a renowned big-trout lake that also holds pike, has a large (and growing) population of yellow perch. Now I'm mainly a trout fisherman, but I'm going to go out there and see if I can catch a mess of perch for dinner! A pike is on my list too, but they're considered gamefish anyway.

interesting, you'd think all those pike would keep the perch down..

fished Spinney for pike about a decade ago, caught half a dozen and realized a float tube is not a proper vessel for dealing with large toothy pike.. killed all the pike as the biologists request, made a heap of quennelles de brochet.. been meaning to go back but every year some new thing occurs and I haven't made it.

Post 02 Feb 2018, 12:33 • #65 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah, I was surprised too. Part of the presentation was about how the DPW changed stocking practice because the pike ate the stocked rainbows. They now stock in the winter, on the theory that the trout will grow beyond eating size while the pike are dormant. When the pike get active in the spring, the rainbows are too big to eat. I don't know if this actually happens.

re perch: population growth is crazy. They went from a small percentage of sample to, I think, 40+ percent in just a few years. Let's go fishin'!

Post 02 Feb 2018, 13:07 • #66 
Master Guide
That last pic of a Pikeminnow looks a lot like the Fallfish we have in PA. They save me from getting skunked sometimes in the winter months - take a fly very well.

Post 02 Feb 2018, 14:56 • #67 
Glass Fanatic
There are times when fishin' for fish beats anything for me, those occasions when I am either sitting in a chair on the bank or in a boat with a bobber and a worm.

I’m glad that on those days, the magic & mystery of what I will reel in is as exciting for me now as it was before I even knew what fly fishing was. Even today, a catching a yellow perch will always bring a smile to my face!

Fishing for fish brings back wonderful memories of being a kid, catching whatever during a warm summer’s day or the nights when a "catty" or an eel was the most exciting thing you could have on the end of your line.

Even when fly fishing, there are days when fallfish & sunnies have been some of the best trout caught that outing before I realized they weren't trout.

Cheers to "trash fish!"

Post 03 Feb 2018, 14:05 • #68 
Glass Fanatic
No such thing as a trash fish.

Post 04 Feb 2018, 14:14 • #69 
Glass Fanatic
Tomah wrote:
Yeah, I was surprised too. Part of the presentation was about how the DPW changed stocking practice because the pike ate the stocked rainbows. They now stock in the winter, on the theory that the trout will grow beyond eating size while the pike are dormant. When the pike get active in the spring, the rainbows are too big to eat. I don't know if this actually happens.

re perch: population growth is crazy. They went from a small percentage of sample to, I think, 40+ percent in just a few years. Let's go fishin'!

Pike are absolutely not dormant in the winter.They often spawn while there is still ice.Trout are soft rayed while perch are not.

Post 05 Feb 2018, 16:55 • #70 
Guide

I catch plenty sculpin in the estuary; they're greedy enough to grab a no. 4 clouser.

Post 05 Feb 2018, 19:06 • #71 
Glass Fanatic
I wouldn't call it a trash fish, but it isn't a game fish.

Post 05 Feb 2018, 19:26 • #72 
Glass Fanatic
carlz wrote:

But if they grew any bigger, none of us would be safe in the water!

Post 05 Feb 2018, 21:04 • #73 
Glass Fanatic
carlz wrote:

Micro fishing?Crazy what a fish thinks it can eat.I spent a few evenings following links to the micro fishing sites.Size 30 something flies on little tiny homemade rods and key chain size reels.Lots of species that never exceed 2 inches.Lots of fishing in culverts and drainage ditches.Quite fascinating.

Previous  1, 2, 3 New Topic Add Reply