It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 20:29

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 24 Nov 2017, 10:27 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Hope everyone on this board had a good Thanksgiving. I certainly am thankful from all the knowledge and entertainment I've found here.

I was stuck home, on a nasty cold rainy day, under orders to baste a turkey once an hour. Between some bastings, I thought I might paddle up to the whitewater park and fish a bit. The park saw 165,000 tubers float through it this summer, and even now the hard core surfers are out there, but on a rainy Thanksgiving even an urban stream can be just you, and the spawning mountain whitefish.

The whitefish is slowly gaining respectability. A native salmonid fish which lives in cold water and takes flies, it has the misfortune of being boney and looking like a sucker. Not my photo, but a nice one the NPS put out:

People used to throw them up on the bank, but now are realizing they are an important fish, and their eggs feed the trout more food than they steal in bottom nymphs. Plus, they are fun to catch. I had a great day this week on a different river, catching trout after trout on a #20 glo-bug, and then finding fat whitefish upstream.

This Thanksgiving I grabbed the Fenwick I leave strung up in the boathouse (thankful for advice here on finding great rods cheap) and paddled up to the park. Fished 30 minutes with a tungsten frenchie and the micro glo bug. Hooked five whiteys and a trout, landed four of the whites, the trout did a magnificent leap and spit the fly in my face. Then I paddled home, thankful for a great little break, and basted the bird again.

Post 24 Nov 2017, 11:09 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Yep, I never begrudge a whitefish either!

Post 24 Nov 2017, 12:32 • #3 
Guide
We have a lot of whitefish here in Vermont, but it's amazing how many people don't know what they are or appreciate it when they catch them. I like to wade the shallows of Missisquoi Bay on Lake Champlain in the spring and fish them "flats style". Kind of like a VT bonefish. :)

I didn't get to fish on Thanksgiving, way too cold and snowy here and most of the rivers near me are closed to fishing now anyway. But I'm definitely jealous of anyone that got out with a fly rod yesterday.

Post 24 Nov 2017, 13:29 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
They fight very hard.
I think they look like a bonefish!

Post 24 Nov 2017, 16:34 • #5 
Guide
I enjoy whitefish. I don't have any near where I live, so I look forward to my trips across the Cont. Divide to the White River in Meeker and get my fill of them.
They are tanks, and because of that the fight is something to respect. I find them to be a delicate fish, even as powerful that they are, so I try not to play them too much and keep them from getting below me. Easier said than done.

No one throws them on the banks or treats them like a trash fish in any way on that river. They really are fun to catch and are so plentiful. The trout don't seem to be bothered by them, and it doesn't look like they compete with the other fish driving them out.

Last edited by Scotty Macfly on 25 Nov 2017, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post 24 Nov 2017, 17:13 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Those whiteys really do help with the "November Problem" Too cold and wet for biking, not enough snow to ski, days too short for camping. Dry flies frozen out. What to do?

Their active spawn keeps the trout hoppin', and they are fun to catch in their own right. Here in Oregon they are hardy and plentiful, and the whitefish spawn is one of my favorite times of the fishing year. They are broadcast spawners, so there is no redd to disturb.

ODFW has no limit on size or number kept, but their populations are quite stable here, more stable than the trout.. The mountain whitefish is not as tasty as the whitefish that smoke up so well in the mid-west. They have not found a case where decreasing the number of whitefish ever resulted in an increase in trout: the populations go up and down together.

Last edited by Newfydog on 25 Nov 2017, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

Post 24 Nov 2017, 18:34 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
ibookje wrote:
They fight very hard.
I think they look like a bonefish!

Yup, a poor mans Bonefish. :) Gotta love'em. They have saved many a day for guides around here in Big Sky country. Most "Sports" just want a bent rod now and again and the "Whitey" has done that for thousands over the years.

Post 24 Nov 2017, 19:25 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I had of course heard of whitefish, but never knew much about them. Then I spent a week on the Henry's Fork a couple of months ago and caught quite a few. I can't say that I was thankful at the time as I was really hoping for a large brown or rainbow when my line went tight, but most were quite large and still fun to catch. One thing that apparently was quite unusual was that I caught one on a streamer (all of the others on nymphs). The guide, who was not an old-timer but by no means a newbie, said he had never seen a whitefish take a streamer before.

So glad you were able to find time to multi-task during your basting assignment.

Post 24 Nov 2017, 19:37 • #9 
Master Guide
Sounds like a whole lots of fun!

Post 24 Nov 2017, 20:21 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
I've caught my fair share of whitefish in Montana. A few were 20"+ and quite a fight. Where I fish, the spring creeks have suckers. It's a sign that the water is really good. The spawn is also a trout favorite (a fly most every fly angler in our region fishes) I've landed some beasts. On the water I frequent, we call them NATIVES.
Years ago, I landed one that measured 24". I ran into another "regular " who was speaking to a couple of young men who had never fished there before. My buddy asked what was up and I started with my landing a lunker "native". Those two guys started drooling out loud with envy. We both kept straight faces. We didn't explain the slang. LOL!

Post 24 Nov 2017, 20:23 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
WNCtroutstalker wrote:
The guide, who was not an old-timer but by no means a newbie, said he had never seen a whitefish take a streamer before..

I have seen them caught on mepps spinners, and good sized stonefly nymphs, both a surprise with that little mouth. The classic fly is a prince nymph. I've done well on the rainbow warriors or frenchies I used as an anchor fly, but most I catch on a very small glo-bug egg pattern.

Post 25 Nov 2017, 07:53 • #12 
Piscator
Our tailwater is a "trophy" redhorse sucker fishery. This cyprinid has twice the IQ of a trout, and if you're catching redhorse, you're matching the hatch. The concept of trash couldn't be farther away.
We call them Guadalupe redfish, they make blazing runs, and they just plain have shoulders.
On our tailwater, the trout follow them to pick up grazing fallout, similar to stingrays and redfish, or Kenai rainbow and sockeye.
Their keen sense of danger is a big part of their charm, and the hill country endemic bass also school on them.
Plus March is a great time to fish sucker spawn attractors.

Most fun I ever had with a flyrod was hooking up a 30-lb black buffalo on a Tonka Queen and Hardy St. George.
The fish made two runs into the backing, porpoising the entire time, coming and going - I was plenty happy when it spit the hook, because there was no landing it.

If you really want to test your angling skills, target carp with a fly rod.

Another fun fish - I've llanded 10-lb gaspergou, fresh-water drum.

Post 25 Nov 2017, 08:11 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
For unpretentious angling, carp on the fly is fun and requires a level of skill. They spook easily and can make your reel sing. If they had the silvery shine of bonefish or the mouth of a redfish then they would be a far more popular query, IMO.

I heard red horse suckers were an indicator of high water quality.

Post 25 Nov 2017, 08:44 • #14 
Piscator
The TX hill country has no shortage of that
native cichlid
Eric, I know you're fishing around Ft. Worth this weekend. It's hard to recognize that 4 hours south, I'm 1000' higher than where you're fishing now.

I've targeted carp in the cottonwood seed fall, tying a cottonwood seed fly on size 18 egg hook, tufts of waste white marabou and brown thread - sight fished.

Post 25 Nov 2017, 09:04 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Ron, you are blessed to have such an ecosystem like that of the hill country. Every area has their own unique fishery, I like going out and finding it to then appreciate it. I discovered a lot during my ft worth expedition yesterday and met some interesting folk.

I still have fond memories of going after creek chubs in the small water trickles of Ohio during the fall/winter time. No all-around 6wt needed but what I had during my early fly fishing years.

A lighter outfit like this 2-3wt bears Den pack rod, a pack of food, and explorer curiosity made for a great adventure. Especially for these "trash fish"

While an invasive species in the guadaloupe, the Midwest environment for smallmouth is beautiful.

I prefer other fish then these.

Last edited by ARReflections on 25 Nov 2017, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

Post 25 Nov 2017, 09:09 • #16 
Piscator
agree - I've managed to find good water and fish in any state I've tried - any weekend-over on business trips I always pack a fly rod and go with a plan.

Post 25 Nov 2017, 10:38 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Anyone know the Northern Pike Minnow? They are native to the PNW, and don't have a huge range.

They take flies nicely and can be pretty big for a "minnow"

Oregon Fish and Wildlife offers a bounty on them, because they eat salmon smolt. The top pikeminnow fisherman last year earned $83,000 catching 10,277 pike minnows. Interesting to note that brown trout and brook trout have no limits now, because they are "non-native invasive species". Guess a true trash fish is one which is native but still gets a bounty.

I first caught one on a steelhead trip. The steelhead had quit but there was something rising near the banks "just a bunch of pikeminnows" I was told, but I had a good time catching them. The my partners were not impressed, but I was happy with a new species. Since then, I've caught some nice ones fishing for smallmouth. They fight so well you don't know they aren't a bass.

I've heard the lower Crooked River has some places where big pikeminnows take dry flies. Might be worth an expedition.

Post 25 Nov 2017, 10:52 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
The top pikeminnow fisherman last year earned $83,000 catching 10,277 pike minnows.

Wow. I'd hate to ruin a perfectly good hobby, but I wonder how the bottom 50 percentile did?

Post 25 Nov 2017, 10:59 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
I've only caught one Sacramento Pikeminnow -

I saw it swimming around in a pool in Coyote Creek in the springtime. I had no idea what it was, but it was the largest I'd seen and there were a number of others in the pool. I tossed a small olive woolly bugger in first -- no response. But a UV crawdad (smallmouth) got its attention.

Post 25 Nov 2017, 11:00 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Last year the 20th ranked angler made $18,777. Other years have been similar, though I saw one year there was a top winner of $119,000. Pretty much all day every day, with a boat.

http://www.pikeminnow.org/catch-data/to ... ty-anglers

Post 25 Nov 2017, 13:15 • #21 
Piscator
that's one way to fish for a living

Post 25 Nov 2017, 14:13 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
Very interesting fish. Never seen one before. Were those pikeminnows there long before the human salmon gauntlets and habitat modifications/destruction?

Post 25 Nov 2017, 14:32 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Yeah, the pikeminnow has always been there, but the justification for the bounty on them is that the dams have made the salmon smolts far more vulnerable, and a population reduction will push the ecosystem back towards a more balanced system. It helps that they bill Bonneville Power for the costs. I guess it works, they have not by any means wiped out the pikeminnow, but they have reduced smolt predation by 40%. So they claim.

Post 25 Nov 2017, 15:40 • #24 
Guide

We don't have pike minnows here in VT, but we do have fallfish.....and LOTS of them! I'm not the least bit ashamed to admit that I love catching those things. They fight hard, tail dance and jump like crazy, and are just plain fun to catch. Not to mention if you catch 1 chances are you'll catch 20 more. My wife Becky likes to deep fry them for supper, and I don't mind bringing these home. Some parts of the upper Missisquoi River hold as many as 12 fallfish per cubic yard of water.....which amounts to LOTS of feed for the bigger browns and rainbows.

Oh and Becky caught our state record back in 2002, but that has since been bested 3 or 4 times.

Post 25 Nov 2017, 17:11 • #25 
Master Guide
I've caught scrappy Pikeminnows (formerly Squawfish) in roadside lakes on big caddis dries, giving much needed recreation on long drives, and I get the occasional smaller one on my local urban river. They whack a dry with gusto and put up a good tussle, so I'm happy they are there.

1, 2, 3  Next New Topic Add Reply