It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:40

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Montana Clave
Post 05 Apr 2018, 12:09 • #101 
Glass Fanatic
tabornatives wrote:
funny you write bozeangeles, that is what I called it last July when visiting Doug and Ken. I thought I coined the term. loving it to death. I feel for you long timers.

I call my hometown Denver, LA by the Rockies.. it's got the traffic problems, brown cloud of pollution, etc.. so it goes.

Post 05 Apr 2018, 13:16 • #102 
Glass Fanatic
Yea, another 365 unit subdivision was just proposed just west of the Bozeman airport. Funny thing is that no one can figure out where everyone is working. There simply aren't enough places to work her. Strange and sad. Another five years I'm outta here. I'm glad I lived here when I did. But the "Last Best Place" it is no longer.

Post 05 Apr 2018, 14:13 • #103 
Master Guide

Last edited by Del Gue on 05 Apr 2018, 17:49, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Apr 2018, 14:45 • #104 
Master Guide
Hellmtflies wrote:
Yea, another 365 unit subdivision was just proposed just west of the Bozeman airport. Funny thing is that no one can figure out where everyone is working. There simply aren't enough places to work her. Strange and sad. Another five years I'm outta here. I'm glad I lived here when I did. But the "Last Best Place" it is no longer.

Very unfortunate and sad. The exploding population in Rockies appears to be unstoppable and Colorado has been ground zero for awhile now. Solitude, or at least peace and quiet, has become harder to find. The only thing we can do as Westerners or those who vacation and play in the West is to support efforts and organizations to keep public lands in public hands. Too many sportsmen are unaware of the effort to take away federal protection for our national forests, etc. putting our fishing and hunting lifestyle in jeopardy. You can find good non-partisan info here https://www.backcountryhunters.org/

Post 05 Apr 2018, 16:33 • #105 
Glass Fanatic
Del Gue wrote:
Out of here...to where? Where you lookin' to go to?

I'm not saying. :) I'm keeping that to myself. :)

Post 05 Apr 2018, 18:04 • #106 
Glass Fanatic
Robert wrote:
Very unfortunate and sad. The exploding population in Rockies appears to be unstoppable and Colorado has been ground zero for awhile now. Solitude, or at least peace and quiet, has become harder to find. The only thing we can do as Westerners or those who vacation and play in the West is to support efforts and organizations to keep public lands in public hands. Too many sportsmen are unaware of the effort to take away federal protection for our national forests, etc. putting our fishing and hunting lifestyle in jeopardy. You can find good non-partisan info here https://www.backcountryhunters.org/

yep joined them as soon as I found out about them ;-)

Post 05 Apr 2018, 20:01 • #107 
Guide
went to the Lower Madison today and was fishing dry flies to rising trout,just my fishing buddy Bob and I and we ran into Larry who fishes every weekday, we had the whole river to ourselves , of course it was 35 degrees and snowing with a cold breeze blowing out of the North,just have to suffer to get the peace and quiet, snowing the next five days than all of Bozeman will show up. water temps still in the 30s. midges and BWO drys

Post 05 Apr 2018, 23:51 • #108 
Inactive
Hellmtflies wrote:

Developments look fine out east, with trees breaking up the pattern, it's not a good look in wide open spaces, just looks like a cluster of homes huddling together in fear of the next tornado.

I think it's the people that make a huge difference, those that moved into colorado have changed the social cultural fabric. Are these the same types moving into montana, to escape the crap they built in California and elsewhere out there?
I spent a small part 9f my childhood in greeley, but back then there weren't many jobs so back east my parents went. We still have land out there. Just a small plot.
Don't Californicate Colora... errr... montana

Post 06 Apr 2018, 09:28 • #109 
Glass Fanatic
the abandoned brane wrote:
Hellmtflies wrote:

Developments look fine out east, with trees breaking up the pattern, it's not a good look in wide open spaces, just looks like a cluster of homes huddling together in fear of the next tornado.

I think it's the people that make a huge difference, those that moved into colorado have changed the social cultural fabric. Are these the same types moving into montana, to escape the crap they built in California and elsewhere out there?
I spent a small part 9f my childhood in greeley, but back then there weren't many jobs so back east my parents went. We still have land out there. Just a small plot.
Don't Californicate Colora... errr... montana

Yup, Ya don't want to mention your from California to the locals here. Or, any coast for that matter. It took me about two years or so to find my place here and be welcomed in. Montanas are wonderful folks. Slow, very slow, to take you in. But once they do they are awesome people. Unfortunately they are completely out numbered any longer.
On a positive note, depending on your position on this, the land and home prices have soared again. Good for me as I've been here for thirteen years. Bad for those making ten bucks an hour or trying to move here. The locals, again, blame the Californians for this tremendous increase and driving the property values to incredible heights.

Last edited by Hellmtflies on 08 Apr 2018, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.

Post 07 Apr 2018, 09:36 • #110 
Master Guide
I'll allow a few of ya to move to the Midwest. Lol. Still pretty peaceful here. And you don't have to break your back to live here either.

On another note, I'm planning on making the trip for the conclave. I plan on road tripping out there. So any suggestions on the best ways to dirt bag it... ie: cheapest accommodations possible. Let me know. No issues with sleeping out of my car. I'll bring some good ol Wisconsin cheese with me as well :)

Post 07 Apr 2018, 10:16 • #111 
Glass Fanatic
It sounds like there is going to be enough attendees that name tags might be required :lol

Post 07 Apr 2018, 10:17 • #112 
Guide
All the good people are fleeing their states as America turns into a third world country. Hell I just ran from Colorado to Idaho only to see the same transformations happening here. This is not because of people having babies. With the Rockies being the last pristine wild area of the lower 48 left, it's pretty sad to watch. Terrified there will be nowhere to run in 15 years

Post 07 Apr 2018, 19:38 • #113 
Master Guide
I suppose there's Alaska, but the cost of living up there prolly isn't too good for retirees.

Post 08 Apr 2018, 14:08 • #114 
Glass Fanatic
nativetrout wrote:
All the good people are fleeing their states as America turns into a third world country. Hell I just ran from Colorado to Idaho only to see the same transformations happening here. This is not because of people having babies. With the Rockies being the last pristine wild area of the lower 48 left, it's pretty sad to watch. Terrified there will be nowhere to run in 15 years

Yup, we had the best part of this place. As I say to my wife "I'm glad I'm going to be dead when I'm going to be dead 'cause I don't want to be here in thirty years." There won't be much left to enjoy.

Post 09 Apr 2018, 07:11 • #115 
Guide
The Place is being loved to death. I've lived in Montana twice. I really don't want to drive up or down the Bitterroot Valley anymore - just makes me sad, almost cry to see how it's changed since the 70's. The last time I went to Kalispell, about 5 years ago, I thought I was in Las Vegas with all the signs and billboards. But I still remember it as a cowboy town so again it's sad to go back. Hell, you can hardly find locals to talk to = nobody there is from there. MIssoula - it's worse than big city driving now.
You know how you explored when you first started fishing - it's that time again. Exploring is what it's all about anyway. Going to new areas is fun and there is still lots to discover, even if you are not the first.

Post 09 Apr 2018, 09:12 • #116 
Guide
theres really not much left....when the rural spots of wyoming and montana are flooded with fisherman...and they are.....we should realize its the start of the end of that type of fishing. my grandfather told me stories about growing up in new jersey. Told me when he was a teenager he used to fish a stream on his families farm. He would catch large trout and lots of em he said. he showed me where it was when i visited him. There was not a single remnant of a stream there, only the moorestown mall, a highway, and apartment complexes. progress I guess. Didn't seem that bad back then because I knew the rural rockies still existed for sanctuary, now that I'm here, i realize....not for too long. 20 years and our rocky mountain rivers will look like opening day on a pennsylvania stocked trout stream. 5000 yahoos fishing for a few dozen mutant stocked trout with no tails, missing fins. am I over exaggerating.....yes. but it is getting to a sad state when the west is now covered in track homes. i wonder how bad it needs to get before men grow the huevos to take a stand. the beautiful east coast town i grew up in which was the quintessential american town now resembles a town in somalia with a healthy smattering of brazilians. not a single store left in town with english lettering on their signs. everyone i once known has fled, yet nobody has the courage to say WHY therefore, the rockies will continue to vanish.....

Post 09 Apr 2018, 12:36 • #117 
Glass Fanatic
I'm not going to debate much of this because we are off topic. The reason I am holding a clave here is because I live here and it's still the best fishing in the lower 48 and if you prefer dry fly fishing it's still way better than Alaska. Does Bozeman have a problem of trust funders and retirees moving here from places with higher housing prices. Yes. Is that causing property values (especially for starter homes) to rise to unreasonable levels in a place without a lot of economic opportunity. Yes. Does the west side of Bozeman look like suburbia. Yes.

That being said Montana is almost the size of Cali, we have 1 million people here. Even in the middle of Suburbia in Bozeman (population 43k) it takes me less than 10 minutes to be out of town and in the country. There is still an absolute ton of room to fish here. Other than a few days a year on some famous floats I am rarely crowded. Most of the time it's due to people from other places here on guide trips or vacation fishing on their own.

During the clave you will have fun fishing phenomenal trout waters and you will be able to get away from people.

Post 09 Apr 2018, 12:50 • #118 
Master Guide
I like my dog better than most people (present company excepted, of course.)

Among other reasons I'm fleeing Florida after I retire is the number of people here. Jam-packed roads, way, Way, WAY too many people here, bad crime.

I'm just lookin' to move to a small town and camp and fish until I die. That's all. The political environment that has taken root in Denver has removed Colorado as an option for me.

If the arthritis the doc tells me I have in my knees prevents me from staying in Montana due to the winters, then I'll prolly drop down to Utah.

I'm still eye-ballin' Dillon pretty hard as a final destination, though.

Post 09 Apr 2018, 12:54 • #119 
Glass Fanatic
I for one am very excited to be making my first trip out to MT this summer. I've got a lot of friends out there and some grew up there and some got there as soon as they could. I don't plan on staying but from what I hear I'll be tempted to.
The overarching thing to me in most of what's been said here recently is the aspect of pessimism. What's surprising to me is that this is supposed to be about FISHING. And if fishing is about anything, it's about hope and the experience of getting to hope.
Lots of fatalism going on in here that I think is best left to other venues. Not here.

Post 09 Apr 2018, 13:44 • #120 
Guide
dustdog12 wrote:
I'm not going to debate much of this because we are off topic.

True this statement and I apologize for my off topic contribution but it did strike a sensitive cord with me. And yes - it is a big state and hence my statement to keep on exploring. Nothing stays the same as places get discovered - we all know that and have to deal with it.
Montana is so beautiful and first timers are in for a real treat. The farther you come from the longer you should stay.

And - no fatalism going on here - quite an assumption?? I am going to Montana twice this year. Don't read too much into a little venting once in awhile.

Post 09 Apr 2018, 14:34 • #121 
Glass Fanatic
Guys, come visit me here in Holland and I can show you crowding and unaffordable housing! :)

Post 09 Apr 2018, 15:13 • #122 
Glass Fanatic
ibookje wrote:
Guys, come visit me here in Holland and I can show you crowding and unaffordable housing! :)

I sat next to an engineer from Holland while on a flight from Portland, OR to Denver. Over southern Idaho, he expressed amazement at the uninhabited expanse below.

Still off topic, sorry -- I'm looking forward to attending this conclave, and fishing whatever water I can find. I do have it on good authority on this board, however, that there are no fish up there. :-)

Post 09 Apr 2018, 16:42 • #123 
Inactive
I'm excited too. We'll continue this discussion over beers in montana as we lie about the size and number of fish we caught.

Post 10 Apr 2018, 11:29 • #124 
Guide
You'll like it out here. Unless you go to Yellowstone Park or the Madison there's plenty of water to fish. Even then there's plenty of open water. Walk more than 1/4 mile from the road and you are alone. I can personally let you in on almost 15 miles of water on one creek alone that is basically fished by locals and that's it. A crowded day is when you see one or two cars so don't be too concerned about finding water - it's all around you. Plus I'll be floating the Yellowstone most days if anyone wants to come along. The trick is to let the guides go down first, wait a couple of hours and the river is all yours.

There's more water out here than you could fish in a lifetime.

Tom

Post 10 Apr 2018, 11:36 • #125 
Guide
Me again,

Just thought I'd throw this out. There is a new company in town, Hatch Adventures, http://www.hatchadventures.com. They rent out Wranglers and Tacomas with an attached roof extension that turn into sleeping quarters. Not the cheapest rentals but factor in room cost and car rental it's pretty much a wash. You can park pretty much anywhere and stay as long as you like.

Tom

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next New Topic Add Reply