It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:12

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Nov 2017, 09:37 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Maybe I am looking for something that doesn’t exist, but I have a need for a wading shoe with a felt bottom but I really don’t want an ankle high boot regardless of weight. Compactness is a primary goal and I want to avoid rubber bottoms if I can help it because I don’t want to use studs. I use felt bottomed zip-on booties with flippers when float tubing, but they don't have enough sidewall protection for rocky streams.

I was hoping for something “sneaker-like” similar to the Chota Hybrid Felt Sole Wading Shoe but when I tried those on, they felt MUCH too narrow for my foot, which isn’t particularly wide.

I also looked at but didn’t try on the Simms Riprap Shoe & Sandal. My reservation with that product is the felt doesn’t extend all the way to the edge of the shoe, which in my experience means bad toe grip and edge slipping which can be a big deal in streams with slimy rocks.

Does anyone have experience with either of these products in regards to fit and performance or know of another product I could look at?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Post 22 Nov 2017, 12:21 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I recently purchased the Simms RipRap with the felt sole. I have used them with and without studs, with studs being superior. Grip without studs is still good. As for sizing, I wear a 10 1/2 D shoe and the Simms Size 11 fits very comfortably. Roy

Post 22 Nov 2017, 15:57 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks!

Post 22 Nov 2017, 17:40 • #4 
Piscator
Patagonia are the lightest-weight felt-sold wading shoes I have ever owned

Post 22 Nov 2017, 19:39 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
They look like really nice shoes, but maybe a bit bigger than what I am after. I need whatever I get to pack as small as possible.

Thanks for the suggestion regardless!

BTW - the Patagonia Neoprene Socks with Gravel Guard look great for wet wading which I do a lot of. They are very similar to the Simms version that Simms redesigned and screwed up in the process. I'll have to find a dealer to try them on for size.

Post 22 Nov 2017, 20:40 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Yes, a good wading sock (preferably combined with gravel guards) is money. By far, the lightest and most comfortable wading boot I've ever owned were the Patagonia's...they didn't last nearly as long as others, but they WERE light and super comfortable. My Korkers were comfortable, but weren't as light and never have lasted very long, so they're now out of my equation. The addition of wading socks (I now use a pair from Orvis that seem a bit better than the Simms ones I used to have) make things far better. If it were me looking, I wouldn't even consider a sandal because I hate picking pebbles out of them but your needs may be different.

Post 22 Nov 2017, 22:23 • #7 
Piscator
my best wet-wading boots are New Balance Abyss OTB boots
They're extremely lightweight, good grip, great hiking boots in addition to wet-wading.
They were developed for the Navy Seals.
They drain through the soles, very quickly. They get really good traction in spite of not being felt soles - the compound soles will stick anywhere felt will.
I wear them with lycra scuba socks.

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 23 Nov 2017, 08:42, edited 1 time in total.

Post 23 Nov 2017, 08:04 • #8 
Sport
bulldog1935 wrote:
my best wet-wading boots are New Balance Abyss ATB boots
They're extremely lightweight, good grip, great hiking boots in addition to wet-wading.
They were developed for the Navy Seals.
They drain through the soles, very quickly. They get really good traction in spite of not being felt soles - the compound soles will stick anywhere felt will.
I wear them with lycra scuba socks.
Unfortunately like a lot of good things discontinued by New Balance

Post 23 Nov 2017, 08:52 • #9 
Piscator
misnomer - they're OTB boots - found two pair on ebay, but only a size 6 and size 10

Keen did that with my favorite kayak shoe, which doubles up as a great wade/hike shoe
Hood River boots - these also drain instantly through the bottom of the soles.
I managed to find two pair of these, and have glued the bottoms a couple of times.

I have these backed up with a pair of five ten (high top) water tennies, also with lycra socks.
5tens are famous for their sticky rubber.
These drain well, but are very narrow and will work for my ice-skate feet. Probably not good for our OP.
I bought them to have something at the coast in case my Hood River boot came apart. So far I have not waded in them, but they were great dry shoes when we drove home two weeks ago in 50-degree weather - my only other dry shoes were open sandals.
One more choice is search canyoneering boots, search and rescue gear, which are supposed to be made to fit inside a kayak, and give you good traction for portaging a kayak in the roughest wet terrain. These are 5ten

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 23 Nov 2017, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

Post 23 Nov 2017, 11:12 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Bamboozled, do you really want felt shoes without any ankle support? The felt will raise you up a bit and I would be nervous without a tiny bit of support (Sort of like the boots that Bulldog posted above). I've given up felt, but just because my state outlawed it. Maybe they will reconsider.

I don't have any advise on the felt side, but I did follow Bulldog's suggestion on wading shoes. I found some wading boots (either the Abyss or something very similar) and use lycra scuba socks. The lycra socks are great. I also found a pair of slightly larger scuba sock that comes up the calf. This provides a bit of insulation when the water is a bit colder and you have to stand in it a while.

Post 23 Nov 2017, 18:57 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
carlz wrote:
Bamboozled, do you really want felt shoes without any ankle support? The felt will raise you up a bit and I would be nervous without a tiny bit of support.

My present favorite wading shoe is the Chota STL and before that it was the Russell Moccasin Wading Shoe.

Both feature a stuff heel counter and hard wide toe box to protect against rocks but are soft and pliable around the ankle, which is why I like them.

I hate most other modern wading shoes with stuff uppers and ankle support I honestly don’t need. They feel like a ski boot to me and I find them extremely uncomfortable to walk in and especially to crouch or kneel in for long periods of time.

I just don’t get the need for all of that hard ankle support but then again I was the kid ice skating on the pond with the perfectly straight ankles.

Never sprained one either...;)

As for felt, I can use it in PA and I prefer it. I have yet to find a rubber solution without studs that grips as well where I fish.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far!!

Post 23 Nov 2017, 20:20 • #12 
Piscator
the problem with low-tops is getting quicksand around your soles, though lycra socks will help.
Also leaving your shoe in the quicksand - high tops hang on better in addition to giving ankle support.
If you get fine sand beneath your feet, any hiking in the shoes will take the skin off your feet.
After a day of wade-fishing at the coast in running shoes, my buddy's feet were bloody.

I do have some very nice Chaco sandals with built-in short-top neoprene socks - I wear these for kayaking that doesn't involve any mud wading (my daughter has a pair, too), and they're perfect for that. But I would never wear them for wade-fishing.
The trick with a kayak is finding shoes with a small enough footprint to fit in the footwell.

I just looked over what NRS has to offer, which is where I found the OTB boots to begin with.
https://www.nrs.com/category/2582/men/water-shoes
Most of these are just variations on your basic neoprene bootie.
I don't know how they drain, but a shoe that looks decent is the Astral Hiyak - worn with lycra socks.

Our niche is getting tougher - I just went through everything Backcountry offers, and only the 5ten water tennies look worthwhile.

Just went through ACK, where I bought my 5tens with discount, and found these, which look pretty good, made for fly fishing, with very nice drain vents in the soles
https://www.austinkayak.com/products/23 ... e-Men.html
I think these would pass my tests, but still with lycra socks
Soft Science Terrafin Water Shoe - discount direct from the maker, though ACK will offer free shipping (and I can share a discount code) http://www.softscience.com/mens/terrafin.html

Post 23 Nov 2017, 20:39 • #13 
Guide
..... back in the day, we use to just glue some carpet on our old Chuck Taylors.

Post 24 Nov 2017, 07:01 • #14 
Guide
the big C store has their boots on sale for 19 bucks- I have a pair- really excellent for the money.
very comfortable.

Post 24 Nov 2017, 07:40 • #15 
Piscator
I guess I'll add one point about my requirements.
My wet-wading shoes are for bust/wade 5 miles. I want them to be good hiking shoes, good wading shoes, and to drain my feet completely when I step on dry land.

Post 24 Nov 2017, 11:08 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
My first two pair of wet wading shoes were Merrell water shoes. While not intended for wet wading, they were light, drained well and were very compact. I literally walked for miles in them when fishing in YNP backcountry. Yes, they slipped mossy rock occasionally, but the advantages outweighed the negatives. Then I moved on to a pair of Cabela XPG water shoes, no longer being offered. They had a soft Vibram sole. They had the same attributes as the Merrells, but were a little stickier. When I first purchased the Simms, Inwent for the rubber sole. In my opinion, even with studs, they were dangerous when in water. Sent them back to Simms who returned a pair of the felt soles. I find them slightly heavier than either the Merrells or the Cabelas. There is no comparison in terms of grip. They are vastly superior. They are also comfortable to walk/hike in.

Bamboozle, you mentioned a concern about the sole not going all the way to the outer edge. If you look at the rubber on the felt sole vs the all rubber sole, you will see a difference in compound and design. I believe the outer edge of the felt sole rubber is not a disadvantage, but remains very sticky. Personally, I have never felt at a disadvantage wading in a low cut shoe nor have I had much of a problem with debris getting in. I do not wear neoprene wading socks, just low cut sport socks to reduce the possibility of rubbing the toes bloody. My 7 cent take on wet wading. Roy

Post 24 Nov 2017, 18:09 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
retiredfisher1 wrote:
Bamboozle, you mentioned a concern about the sole not going all the way to the outer edge. If you look at the rubber on the felt sole vs the all rubber sole, you will see a difference in compound and design. I believe the outer edge of the felt sole rubber is not a disadvantage, but remains very sticky. Personally, I have never felt at a disadvantage wading in a low cut shoe nor have I had much of a problem with debris getting in. I do not wear neoprene wading socks, just low cut sport socks to reduce the possibility of rubbing the toes bloody. My 7 cent take on wet wading. Roy

I own a pair of the Korkers where the sole doesn't completely cover the bottom of the sole and I have had issues when trying to get a toe grip compared to the felt. I adjusted the way I wade to compensate but regardless, I don't like a felt sole that doesn't cover the entire bottom of the shoe.

Call me a total NON-fan of rubber bottomed wading shoes. If my state banned felt, I'd buy a boat...

In regards to high tops versus low, these shoes will be used with either a gravel cuffed hipper or a gravel cuffed neoprene wading bootie so gravel/mud/quicksand won't be an issue.

Bottom line, if I find what I am after they will be a back-up pair that will live in my vehicle along with a pair of Chota Hippies and my ever present Tenkara gear & UL spinning rod. They will be used VERY infrequently, mainly for those fishing opportunities that pop up when I am driving about and see a place I want to fish for an hour or so with the gear I have in my car, hence the desire for something small & packable.

As far as wading shoes for all the rest of my fishing, I already have that covered.

Again, thanks all for the suggestions!

Post 24 Nov 2017, 18:26 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
My favorite was a pair of Patagonia I bought over 20 years ago looked like a old converse basket ball shoe with felt glued on.......aurelio

Post 24 Nov 2017, 19:14 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
All this talk has me wondering? is a pair of converse, some felt or astroturf, glue and rubberbands not a decent option?

We used to re-felt our boots that way, so maybe it would work well.

Post 25 Nov 2017, 10:12 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
It's an option I am considering...

Post 03 Dec 2017, 14:59 • #21 
Guide
carlz wrote:
All this talk has me wondering? is a pair of converse, some felt or astroturf, glue and rubberbands not a decent option?

We used to re-felt our boots that way, so maybe it would work well.

Let me take up this disussion here, rather than start a new thread. One of my upcoming projects is to resole a pair of "felt"-soled wading boots. In fact, the present "felt" soles on them seem to be some kind of synthetic. That makes me wonder if modern "felt"-soled boots have organic wool felt or synthetics as their material. My purchasing attempts came up with two options. One is 8mm thick polyester felt and the other is an industrial abrasive, like the back side of a Scotch-brite sponge, also about 8mm thick.. Which one do you all think would work better on slimy moss-covered rocks?

Post 03 Dec 2017, 16:21 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
The Scotchbrite might actually grip better, but I would be concerned about its durability. Based on my experience using it both as kitchen scrubber and sandpaper, I think it might disintegrate rather quickly under the weight of a fisherman negotiating rocks. I have no actual experience using it as sole material, though.

I am pretty sure the modern felt is synthetic fiber. I put a heel piece on one of my shoes a few years back, and the material doesn't strike me as being wool.

Post 03 Dec 2017, 19:26 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Tomah wrote:
I am pretty sure the modern felt is synthetic fiber. I put a heel piece on one of my shoes a few years back, and the material doesn't strike me as being wool.

There is only one wading shoe made (Russell's) with real wool felt and this has been the case for at least 30 years or longer.

As the owner of a couple of pairs, I can tell you the difference in grip between wool felt & synthetic is significant, but the wool doesn't wear as well as synthetic which is one of the reasons Russell soles are thick.

Last edited by Bamboozle on 05 Dec 2017, 12:52, edited 1 time in total.

Post 05 Dec 2017, 03:46 • #24 
Guide
Tomah and Bamboozle, thanks for your input.

Post 05 Dec 2017, 08:21 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
You're welcome. Good luck in your search for a suitable material!

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply