It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 07:59

New Topic Add Reply
Help spend my money
Post 18 Nov 2017, 15:12 • #1 
Need to put together the Christmas list and am looking for suggestions as I'm relatively new (spent the summer spin fishing). Mostly fish smaller Colorado creeks and rivers, with the max being 30-40feet wide. Shooting to get something in 7-8' 4wt as a do-it-all rod. I've got a buddy's Hardy Sirrus in 3/4 that I like a lot. Tried the Scott G2 and found it too noodly. Budget is roughly $400. Considering Echo, a Butterstick, and anything else you all suggest, but don't have a ton of spare time to go hit shops, so I'm hoping to target things a little. Many thanks!

Re: Help spend my money
Post 18 Nov 2017, 15:29 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
If you find the Scott G2 4wt too noodly, you're most likely not going to find any 4wt fiberglass rod less so. The Butterstick is way slower action than the G2. The Orvis Superfine Glass 7'6" 4wt is right in your price range and is faster action than most fiberglass 4wts of that length but you really should try it out before buying.

Post 18 Nov 2017, 16:10 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I totally agree with tiptop and fortunately an Orvis encounter should be easy to find. Good luck.

Post 18 Nov 2017, 16:52 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
If you’re willing to wrap your own, the Epic 476 ready to wrap kit is $406US. Haven’t cast that particular one but I understand it’s a fast taper. And the Epics are about the least noodle like glass there is.

Post 18 Nov 2017, 16:57 • #5 
Noob error-i think the Scott was a F2, not a G2. It was their fiberglass rod. Thinking seriously about building an epic, but my 10yo son and i are both getting rods so it's be fun to get finished rods together. Totally willing to wrap my own.

Post 18 Nov 2017, 17:11 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
mortimersnerd wrote:
Tried the Scott G2 and found it too noodly.

G2 or F2? If you did in fact mean the G2, I agree with tiptop and think you may want to focus on a different material.

I also haven't cast the traditional 4 pc Epic 476, but I do have the 5 pc and like it. You also might look at Leland's Red Truck 7'6" 4 wt. I had one briefly, and though I sold it I did like how it cast--my recollection is that it was relatively fast for glass. The grip shape is rather unusual, and so you'd need to decide if that makes it a non-starter. I think it lists for $295. Given your budget, and assuming you don't want to build your own rod, that would be my choice, if you can live with the grip (well, actually I'd look for something like a used Steffen or Barclay, but it sounds like you're looking for a new production rod that someone can order easily).

Finally, I don't know if I would consider any 7' rod to be a do-it-all rod, but the Fenwick Fenglass 7' 4 wt has received many positive reviews on this board. I think it goes for around $200.

Good luck to you.

Post 18 Nov 2017, 17:20 • #7 
I'd be open to used. I like buying my own presents. I fish a ton of tight, overgrown stuff. The friend I fish with often brings his 4' 1wt.

Post 18 Nov 2017, 17:31 • #8 
Master Guide
Hello, another vote for the Orvis SFG 7’6” very nice all round small to medium water rod. I also really like the Orvis SFG 7’ 3 wt. Another great small water rod. Personally I have never cast one of Chris Barclay rods but they get rave reviews and come up for sale on this board quite often. Further Steffen and James Green rods are also wonderful.

Post 18 Nov 2017, 17:41 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
If you can find a Barclay 70p within your budget, jump on it. It's a phenomenal 4wt that will do just about anything you ask.

An Epic 476 is a great fast (for glass) rod. The 480 is what everyone raves about, tho. A little slower but very smooth. You don't see many 480s for sale, tho.

Also, you'll see the occasional Steffen pop up, and should be strongly considered.

Post 18 Nov 2017, 17:45 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Barclay, Steffen, Bozeman or Kenney.

Post 18 Nov 2017, 18:53 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
mortimersnerd wrote:
I'd be open to used. I like buying my own presents. I fish a ton of tight, overgrown stuff.

I like buying my own stuff too -- that way I get what I really want. Given that you're open to used, then I would just watch the classifieds section pretty closely. You should be able to find a very high quality used rod for $400 or less. Some suggestions....

You mentioned you want an all around rod, and you don't want something too slow. For me, all around rods are longer. I know you fish some tight waters, but if you think an 8' rod is not too long (and from your original post it sounds like it wouldn't be), then I would look for a Steffen 8' 3/4 (or even a 4/5). Another good choice would be the Epic 476--the 480 mentioned above is very nice, but it is slower and personally I think of it of more as dry fly specialty stick, though when I had mine I did nymph with it and even throw streamers (but I also have a Steffen 8' 3/4 and opted to keep it over the Epic 480 because I thought the Steffen was a better all-around rod). I can't compare the Orvis mentioned above to the Steffen or Epic as I've never cast one (I won't buy Orvis rods and so don't bother to test cast them), but they do get very good reviews here and would probably be the easiest to try/cast before you buy.

If you decide to go really short, then I would look at the Barclay 70p that JoeFriday mentioned, or even a 64p (6'4"). They are really special rods. I generally prefer faster glass, but have a 64p and absolutely love it.

Post 18 Nov 2017, 20:03 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
So, are you looking for a factory rod or are you maybe looking for something to build?

Post 18 Nov 2017, 20:06 • #13 
Great suggestions! Please keep them coming. An 8' rod is an option. I've got a 3wt 6ish' cabelas CGR for really tight stuff.

Post 18 Nov 2017, 21:03 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I have the 4 wt Orvis Superfine and the Steffen 3/4wt. They both "do it all", though the Orvis is more of a 4/5 and is a faster rod which will actually toss a pretty big beadhead streamer. The Steffen is a light rod which will nicely cast just a leader up close, yet holds up amazingly well as the weight goes up. Both good rods, just depends on your personal "all".

Post 18 Nov 2017, 21:32 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Keep an eye on the classifieds. Nice rods come up there. At that price, you can buy a very nice lightly used rod, get a custom built rod or build one out yourself.

I would question anything shorter than 7'6" for that type of fishing. You want a bit of length for mending and getting the line out of the water to get a drag free drift. Especially out west where you don't have the same tight spaces as the east coast tree covered streams. Most creeks out west allow a good steeple cast if nothing else.

As far as used rods:
If a used McFarland or Paddock 7'9" 4wt comes up, snag it. Fred made a few in that length and there was a a Seele in that length. Or a Steffen 3/4 or 4/5. A Barclay 75p. is also a decent choice, but it is a parabolic rod which you may or may not like.

Also you can't go wrong with a slightly heavier weight vintage rod such as a Fenwick FF755, FF756-4, FF75 (2 or 4pc) or Phillipson Epoxite 7'6" rod (royal wand, or master). These are just fantastic rods.

For new rods:
The Orvis superfine 4wt is just above the $400 mark and whatever Cabela's is selling on sale at the sub $100 mark. Or Japanese glass at Blue Dunn

For your son, I would recommend a Reddington Classic Trout 480-4 graphite rod (or even a 486-4). Moderate action, affordable, Heavier than the expensive graphite rods, but also more sturdy and more forgiving. It is halfway between glass and top end graphite, but cheaper and a real bargain.

Post 19 Nov 2017, 15:43 • #16 
Inactive
Buy the most noodly rod you can, adjust your cast. The first time I used bamboo, I don't think I landed a fly on the stream. In the trees, yes. Bushes, yes. I adjusted.

Post 23 Nov 2017, 21:52 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
If you are looking for a do-it-all rod as you mention, I would not get a 4 wt, get a 5 wt at least. There are lots of nice ones and you would be protected from high winds, be able to throw heavier flies and sling weight if needed, and you would have enough rod for some warm water fishing.

For me a do-it-all rod wold be a 7 1/2 - 8 ft, 6 w rod, preferably in 4 pieces.

I know that the movement to lighter rods is the trend but I think they make them too fast and hence have bumped the line weights up so the rods can load. A nice slow 6 wt solves many problems and has a very wide, forgiving, band of utility for me.

Best of luck in your hunt!

Post 24 Nov 2017, 03:18 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
If you go for a blank or second hand then I would look for a Paddock 794 or a Ijuin Yomogi 7'3" which is rated a a 4 but casts a 5 very well. My choice would be dictated by whether you prefer longer or shorter rods. A used Scott F 754 would also work.

Come to think of it a System 5 would fit the bill if you are willing to go for a 5wt - and that would make an excellent allrounder.

Post 27 Nov 2017, 16:26 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
carlz wrote:
I would question anything shorter than 7'6" for that type of fishing. You want a bit of length for mending and getting the line out of the water to get a drag free drift. Especially out west where you don't have the same tight spaces as the east coast tree covered streams.

just so - I have fished NC and CO. NC has tunnel fishing, where the trees, rhododendrons etc, cover the stream. CO has canyon fishing, like this..

fished that with a 7'6" FF756 and it didn't overpower the little brookies, had quite enough fun with it.. would not have wanted anything shorter.

my desired rod for an all-round small stream is the Steffen 8' 3/4 but budget isn't up to it. I do have a 8' 4wt no-name blank that the Glassmaster cleared out of his stock, will build this winter, DV and the rivers don't rise..

Post 28 Nov 2017, 23:00 • #20 
Guide
Here you go: https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=61226

Sounds like we're in the same area which might be handy.

Post 10 Dec 2017, 15:35 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
For a budget-minded, short rod I'd go with the Fenglass 704...a wonderful rod with a #5 line that will get under the brush and not balk when the wind comes up.

Post 11 Dec 2017, 22:00 • #22 
Master Guide
A Fred Paddock 7ft 9in 4wt was just posted in the classifieds. I would not sell mine. Light tipped intuitive dream caster. I use mine with an Orvis CFO 123 reel spooled with 406 dt4 line. I also like the Kabuto 764 and the Epic 480 for glass 4wt trout rods. For $400 I would either looks for a used custom build (like the Paddock) or build out a Kabuto blank.

New Topic Add Reply