It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:57

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 31 Oct 2017, 09:15 • #1 
Sport
All I currently have a cabelas cgr 7'6" 7-8wt, and was considering a Blue halo 7wt retro flex II rod.

I really like the cabelas, but I am looking for something a little faster in speed as I feel it is really a 7wt and fairly slow in action.

If anyone has casted/fished them both please help me make my decision.

Post 31 Oct 2017, 10:49 • #2 
Master Guide
I'm a fan of my gen ii 5wt. I just couldn't enjoy the 8 six 7 though. Felt like a club to me. Heavy. The tip was sloppy. Just didn't enjoy it. Tried all kinds of lines on it too. I also own the cgr 7/8. And still own it. Fun rod.

Post 31 Oct 2017, 10:57 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Not to complicate matters, but what about posting an ad for a Fenwick FF807? I think it’s faster than the CGR and cheaper than the Blue Halo. Great rod.

Post 31 Oct 2017, 13:07 • #4 
Sport
I have considered looking for a fenwick as well. Blue halo was having a sale on their blanks so it got me to thinking. It would be about the same money since I have quite a few rod building parts laying around.

Sounds like the 7wt Blue halo and the cgr are fairly close by comparison.

Thanks all.

Post 31 Oct 2017, 16:08 • #5 
Guide
I own the 7/8 cgr and had a 7wt blue halo built custom another option is to look for a fenglass 6wt.. much lighter in hand feel then the blue halo and lots of power / back bone
this is the rod that has taken the place of the rods above.. for me atleast

Post 01 Nov 2017, 00:21 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I have a 6wt fenglass and love it, mostly for warmwater fishing. I also picked up a 7wt this spring, but haven't used it as much. Hmm, stripers ...

Post 01 Nov 2017, 00:37 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
brockton wrote:
Not to complicate matters, but what about posting an ad for a Fenwick FF807? I think it’s faster than the CGR and cheaper than the Blue Halo. Great rod.

I saw a Fenwick FF807 go for under $40 on auction recently. I love mine for chucking beadhead wooly buggers, indicators, bass bugs, and other heavy stuff, but today I had to put those away and serve the fish what they were asking for: #18 BWO emergers. I was amazed how nice the rod presented those, and pleased when I hooked an 8" fish and it still was fun to play. I also caught a nice bigger one on a long cast, dropping the emerger on his head for an instant hook-up. That is becoming one of my favorite rods.

Post 04 Nov 2017, 13:22 • #8 
Guide
Not quite the same but I have a BH 5wt you can fling around if you want to get a feel for it.

Post 13 Nov 2017, 15:25 • #9 
Sport
Thanks for the offer thewhyoffry, but I am actually in the Florida panhandle, but I haven't changed my location.

I bought an Fenwick Feralite to FF858 at a reasonable price off the auction site. We will see if it is able to fill niche I am looking for.

Has anyone found the best method to add a figthing butt to the larger feralite's? I have an old orvis removable o-ring style fighting butt that I sure would like to use one this rod.

Post 17 Nov 2017, 11:57 • #10 
Sport
Got the Fenwick 858 yesterday. Lined it up and casted it next to my CGR and So far I wasn't blown away with to much difference using similar fly lines. It did seem to have a bit more backbone and maybe pick up a longer distance of fly line of the lawn. This weekend I will line them both up with same flies and do a water test.

Has anyone removed the plastic cap in the reelseat on these femwicks and tried to add a removable fighting butt?

Post 19 Nov 2017, 23:03 • #11 
Master Guide
Yes. I did have an extended butt made, but it fits just a bit loose, so if I try to juice the speed of the forward cast with my left hand, I tend to pull the extension out of the shaft. Not sure how to fix that, but I think it has possibilities.

Fish on!
Peter

Post 20 Nov 2017, 09:35 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
When I had mine, all I did was trim up a champagne cork and epoxies it into the reel seat once I removed the cap. Worked great (this was an old beater rod so I wasn't terribly concerned with aesthetics... but still looked fine and functioned as intended)

Post 20 Nov 2017, 17:43 • #13 
Master Guide
For what it's worth, I ordered one of those cheap Chinese fiberglass rods by Maxcatch in a 6 wt. It says 'blank Blue Halo'. Dunno if that makes it a 'Blue Halo' or if that is Chinese deception. I saw where another guy on another forum picked one up for backwater and marsh/estuary fishing. I read above where Hotdish didn't care for it, and thought it heavy and clubby. The guy on the other forum said their general feeling was it was light. I'll use it for a light saltwater rod. It will be my one fiberglass salt rod. My other two salt rods are TFO's...a BVK and a Mangrove. I'll prolly throw another Behemoth on it with 7 wt line. We'll see how it works out. If it's a bust, the rod cost me around $78, so it ain't gonna bust the bank or nothin'.

Post 04 Dec 2017, 11:04 • #14 
Sport
I went ahead and ordered the new ECHO BAG Quickshot 8' 9wt. Hopefully its fits the niche I'm looking for.

Post 04 Dec 2017, 23:13 • #15 
Master Guide
Stx4wheeler wrote:
I went ahead and ordered the new ECHO BAG Quickshot 8' 9wt. Hopefully its fits the niche I'm looking for.
Man, I'm really close to pulling the trigger on one myself. I hesitated on the 9'ers. These 8s look much more user friendly.

Post 06 Dec 2017, 09:22 • #16 
Master Guide
Del Gue wrote:
For what it's worth, I ordered one of those cheap Chinese fiberglass rods by Maxcatch in a 6 wt. It says 'blank Blue Halo'. Dunno if that makes it a 'Blue Halo' or if that is Chinese deception.

Um...you know Blue Halo blanks are rolled in China, right?

Post 06 Dec 2017, 17:23 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I have three of the maxcatch rods now (3wt, 4wt uniglass, 6wt) and I find that the text descriptions are somewhat inaccurate: for example, downlocking reel seats on the ultraglass (nope, just on the uniglass), spigot ferrules (only on ultraglass). I have never seen the promised alignment dots (which is fine, I never use them). The photos seem to be correct, as are the numeric specifications (weight in oz/grams).

I happened across their website listing for the 3wt and noted that the description of the color was "halo blue". On ebay I've also seen this written as "blue halo". It has been pointed out that their listings are not well edited or translated ("chrome snack guides").

Still, I think for the price they are nice budget rods and sometimes they run specials (3wt is on sale for $49 right now). My 4wt came with some cheapo extras: a maxcatch logo buff, scissors, nippers, stickers and a 4wt fly line (had a strange scent to it which went away after a few sessions in the casting pool). "It is what it is" :)

Post 06 Dec 2017, 20:19 • #18 
Master Guide
Marty Romeo wrote:
Del Gue wrote:
For what it's worth, I ordered one of those cheap Chinese fiberglass rods by Maxcatch in a 6 wt. It says 'blank Blue Halo'. Dunno if that makes it a 'Blue Halo' or if that is Chinese deception.

Um...you know Blue Halo blanks are rolled in China, right?

Nope. I'm pretty ignorant about the things. I will say one thing: the blue ones are pretty. Whether they catch fish or not, they are a pleasure to gaze upon! :)

Post 07 Dec 2017, 08:50 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
brockton wrote:

I like Brocton's suggestion. But, if you're weary of grabbing a used rod you can grab a new Fenwick Fenglass 8'3" 7wt or 8'3" 8wt for around $200 on Amazon. I have the 7wt. It's a good rod and it's a true 7wt. IMO, it's cheaper than buying a handful of cheap rods with the hope of finding a gem. $200 and a good rod with a warranty? Why not? That's MY opinion.
BTW, I have the Fenwick Fenglass 704 and like it a lot! Now it's colder, I'll get some more time to fish the 7wt on some tailraces.
I've had it out five times last season and I'm quite happy with it. It readily handles tandem streamers and sinking leaders (Airflo). It's not as heavy as my JET and as a 3pc it's ​easy to fit into my car. Money well spent.

Post 07 Dec 2017, 13:53 • #20 
Guide
I fish the CGR 7-8 and find it works best with a 7; a very nice rod for the money.

Here's my question. Has anyone gotten their hands on one of those newer Bad Ass Glass 6's or 7's from Echo? I'd like to hear how they perform.

Post 09 Dec 2017, 09:33 • #21 
Master Guide
I have a hard time leaving my CGR 7/8 at home. I agree with earlier comments, I feel it is a true 7wt. Also, if you want it to seem faster? I have fished mine with an SA Frequency Magnum WF6F line....and it REALLY throws it nice.

On a side note, I prefer the Dark Honey glass from Cane and Silk. It's faster than the CGR, but not a club like some of the newer glass in upper line weights.

Post 09 Dec 2017, 12:42 • #22 
Sport
The echo quickshot should hopefully get here today. I am routinely making 60-80 foot casts at some very spooky flats species and on the beaches here in Florida. Unfortunately the cgr is not the tool for this. I do love it for other fishing just not in this scenario. I’m hoping the faster echo bag is going to be my ticket aside for always using my graphite sticks.

Post 09 Dec 2017, 14:10 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
You might check Ultraman1's posts or see what Kalgrm might recommend. If you really are targeting large fish, you might also want to see if a used EPIC shows up Bandit or 868. If you are going to fish this rod a lot, it might be worth expanding your search to rods that are a bit more expensive.

However if you want something significantly faster than a FF858, you should probably also expand your search to Graphite. It's not that there arn't faster rods from *********, McFarland, Epic, Steffen, Paddock (I'm sure I'm missing some here) but by that time you are in premium rod price territory and there are some great deals on some discontinued sages (Bolt for instance). 60-80ft casts, on the flats, especially if the fish are not huge, seems to be where graphite would shine.

Post 12 Dec 2017, 13:07 • #24 
Sport
Well I got the 9wt BAG quickshot today, and all I can say so far is I am very impressed. First I lined it up with a 9wt SA aircel clear int tip line. It had no problem tossing this line to the backing knot with a smaller bead chain shrimp pattern.
I then swapped to the cortland flats taper 9wt liquid crystal flyline with very similar results with the same fly.

I have never casted a glass rod like this. If you slow your stroke down the rod casts similarly to a lot of glass rods and easily hits short shots. Though I feel the defining factor for this rod is what it can do when you speed up your stroke and push the rod. Most glass rods seem to fall flat on their face when you try to speed up your stroke and tighten your loops. The echo just smiles and grins and shoots line nobody's business. I could apply a stroke almost as fast as my graphite rods with a very tight loop or I could slow it down and get a more traditional glass feel.

I have a feeling this rod is going to take a lot of market share from EPIC and other high end faster glass rods business.

I will hopefully get the rod out this weekend to test it on some redish or bonito to get the full review.

Post 12 Dec 2017, 21:04 • #25 
Guide
Excellent, can't wait to hear about it.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply