It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:21

New Topic Add Reply
River muck.
Post 14 Oct 2017, 11:58 • #1 
Inactive
Creeps me out. If im standing in waist deep water already, the last thing I want to do is sink into mud. Never had this issue out east.

Re: River muck.
Post 14 Oct 2017, 13:21 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Here's a spot, spring fed creek in old lake bed, big trout on dry flies all winter, where I have actually been stuck and scared. Muck to the thighs. I now do it in a float tube.

Post 14 Oct 2017, 13:42 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
I've bushwhacked a mile back to fish streams in WI and ended up sinking into bank side muck up to my butt. Once I had to chuck my rod to solid land and literally crawl out. Yeah, it freaked me out enough to never go back.

Re: What? The Muck.
Post 14 Oct 2017, 14:01 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Troots live in mucky places?

That's mucked up.

Post 15 Oct 2017, 12:52 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Lots of burrowing mayfly nymphs in that muck. :)

Post 15 Oct 2017, 19:53 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I've sunk into muck a few times, fortunately no deeper than mid shin. Once I was wearing a pair of old bootfoot Red Ball waders. In trying to pull my right foot up out of the muck, my foot came out of the boot up into the legging. I was balancing precariously on one foot while trying to get my foot back down into the boot. Another time I was fishing with a buddy. I had stopped to answer some questions about flyfishing for a young man we had encountered. I started looking for Kurt, but no luck. I finally went back to my pickup and got my phone which I never carry on the water. He had been trying to call me. He was stuck in the muck somewhere upstream. As I slowly drove up the road looking for him, I encountered another truck. The driver asked me if I were looking for someone. I told him my friend was stuck in the mud somewhere nearby. The driver said he and his work crew were putting some fencing up on a bridge upstream and heard him screaming for help. His workers had gone into the brush looking for Kurt. They had to throw him a rope and drag him out. He left one of his Keen sandals about 18" down in the muck.

Larry

Post 15 Oct 2017, 20:25 • #7 
Piscator
The Nueces is real bad about quicksand. Especially since the bottom is mostly limestone and the quicksand is the same white. You can step in expecting to stand on flagstone and find yourself neck deep.
The coast and especially around oyster reefs is where it's the worst.

Post 15 Oct 2017, 22:47 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
ha, pikers.. you don't know muck until you go prowling the mudflats flyfishing for carp.. some maneaters out there.. and I only am escaped alone to tell thee..

Post 19 Oct 2017, 04:40 • #9 
Sport
Sinking up to my crotch in soft mud is one of a number of reasons why I always fish with a wading staff so I can test the solidity of my next step. Just because it looks solid or has vegetation growing on it doesn't mean it is!
Cheers,
Steve.

Post 19 Oct 2017, 06:39 • #10 
Master Guide
There's a spot around these parts nicknamed the Mud Flats. You better be in a canoe cause if you try to wade it you ain't coming out alive. I got stuck in another place about waist deep in muck, alone, about a mile from the nearest forest road, about 10-12 miles from any highway. I honestly was lucky to make it out of that.

Post 19 Oct 2017, 06:57 • #11 
Piscator
the scariest muck is Turnagin arm of Cook Inlet with its 30' tides

Post 19 Oct 2017, 09:34 • #12 
Guide
Wading staff good. Especially in unfamiliar water and you're not the chiseled athlete you once were. Or thought you were. I took a friends advice and got one and I use it far more than I ever thought I would.

Post 19 Oct 2017, 20:59 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
bulldog1935 wrote:
the scariest muck is Turnagin arm of Cook Inlet with its 30' tides

Yep, many a duck hunter has died when that tide came in. One who was rescued was underwater breathing through the barrel of his gun when they got him out.

The tide comes in like a wave, faster than you can run.

Post 20 Oct 2017, 05:37 • #14 
Piscator
hi bro, yes, the tide current is a raging river

Post 20 Oct 2017, 06:56 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
paveglass wrote:
One who was rescued was underwater breathing through the barrel of his gun when they got him out.

Glad my Steffen rod has hollow spigot ferrules. :)

In all seriousness, got stuck once in a river area around Columbus, OH with mud up to my thigh in soft gray, wet clay. Never expected it and scared the crap out of me. No one around for miles. I never was more aware of each muscle and breathing movement as I crawled inch by inch from that potential muddy grave. Be careful my friends, that fish is not worth that few steps more in the mud...

Post 20 Oct 2017, 11:55 • #16 
Guide
I'm actually a bit disappointed that I don't encounter "quicksand" more often. When I was a kid I thought it was going to be one of the leading challenges of my adult life.

I don't see a lot of muck in the rivers I wade in Central Texas, but there is some. Mostly behind weirs and natural sills that slows the sediment transport ... just kinda falls out and piles-up over time. I ran into some of that fine, white silt Bulldog mentioned on Salado Creek yesterday. looked just like the limestone. All of it I've seen, though, is powdery and not sucking.

I've had to literally crawl out of some epic, thigh-deep, black, anaerobic, sucking mud on the coast, though. I've left shoes behind.

Post 22 Oct 2017, 16:20 • #17 
Guide
This is a scary thread...

New Topic Add Reply