It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:17

New Topic Add Reply
Shenandoah River Help
Post 14 Oct 2017, 10:30 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I’m kicking around the idea of fishing the Shenandoah in Virginia for whatever is hungry next June. I was hoping to stay somewhere around Luray, Shenandoah or Elkton for logistical reasons. (I have friends in Waynesboro and will most likely be heading down there one or two nights after fishing so I don't want to be too far north).

Because I plan to wade fish and am concerned over weather and water levels, I would be making a last minute decision to book lodging which rules out cabins or house rentals which require advance booking. I don’t want to camp.

I am also VERY open to fishing any smaller creeks for whatever is hungry if the Shenandoah is not wadable. This trip isn't about trophies or just smallmouth. All I want to do is catch fish and enjoy myself doing it.

I have ZERO interest in trout fishing or fishing "trout streams". This is to be strictly a warmwater species trip.

I have a few initial questions for anyone who can help. (Feel free to PM if you don’t want to give away secrets):

North Fork, South Fork or neither for wading/fishing in early June? I like the South Fork side of the mountain better, but I don’t want to drown either.

Places to avoid due to water that is too deep, too many kayaks, canoes or kids throwing rocks?

Lodging suggestions? (Hotel/Motels I guess or a B&B that won't break the bank since I will sleeping there and nothing else).

Any decent sized local creeks that could be considered as alternates? (I have no desire to chase trout in the SNP so I’m talking creeks in the valleys.)

Other sources of information for any of the above.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer!!

Last edited by Bamboozle on 19 Oct 2017, 15:11, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Shenandoah Help
Post 14 Oct 2017, 11:13 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
In case you change your mind about fishing for trout in the park;

For a number of years I stayed in Luray, Va. It seemed to be convenient to a number of small streams in the park. Most if not all of them including a hike in were all doable in a day trip. But don't be put off by not having any high end places to eat or to stay. Anyway, wet wading will be available to you in June as the water levels will be low by then. Maybe too low in fact. Remember that the run off of those creeks is short. Top of the ridge to the bottom hills is short as compared to other destinations for trout fishing. Also, a 2 to 4wt. rod in 6'6" to 7'6" is all you will need. These are Brookies for the most part and wonderfully gullible. :) Attractor dies will be the main flies and few prince nymphs and a small streamer or two will get results. As for locating the streams get a copy of the old "Trout Fishing in the Shenandoah National Park" by Harry W. Murray. Published in 1989 by Shenandoah Publishing Co. That and a couple of hiking maps for the park will be all you will need. "Shorttip" here on the forum would be another source of valuable instruction. I'm certain he will be willing to assist as well. Enjoy and Good Luck!
Mark

Post 14 Oct 2017, 11:17 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the info but I'm doing this to get away from chasing 6"-10" brookies.

Post 14 Oct 2017, 12:16 • #4 
Guide
Further south and west of Luray, in the vicinity of Harrisonburg, is Mossy Creek. It has some large fish. It can be tough fishing but rewarding when you connect. If you're traveling 81 south its on the way to Waynesboro. Could be an add on detention for some variety after you fish for smallies in the Shenandoah. Theres also a stream outside Harrisonburg that has a limited access public section thats supposed to fish well pretty much all year. I haven't fished it yet but plan to. Info can be found on the Mossy Creek website. You might want to check with Murray's shop or Mossy Creek's shop for other suggestions, particularly regarding the wade fishing in the Shenandoah.

Post 14 Oct 2017, 14:00 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks!

Post 19 Oct 2017, 14:25 • #6 
I went with family in August. Took the trail down to Camp Rapidan. The creek was very clear and shallow. Saw and spooked a lot of fish but didn't catch anything. A couple words of caution: several rattle snakes by the cabin area. Also, despite being well covered and using insect spray my son ended up with Lyme disease. Beautiful park, though.

Ed

Post 19 Oct 2017, 14:54 • #7 
Master Guide
In June, the Shenandoah NP streams can be great if there's been enough precip to keep them up. Even then stream temps don't really start hitting trout-stressing temps until well into the month. Still, the bigger the drainage the better off you'll be and that's generally east slope territory. Higher gradient streams on the east slope also as the Shenandoah valley floor is higher in elevation than that of the Piedmont.

However, Mossy can be good in June, but don't expect to catch much. You gotta pay your dues if you're fishing Mossy unless the water is way up from significant rainfall, in which case big streamers can be deadly.

Beaver Creek in Ottobine requires a $10 "permit", of which there are only 4 granted per day. Beaver is another spring creek that has a much higher fish density than Mossy (and they're primarily rainbows in Beaver), but I found Beaver to be much more productive for numbers when I first started fishing the Valley spring creeks. Mossy became extremely rewarding after unraveling its many idiosyncracies and learning where the fish are and how to keep from spooking them.

The South River in Waynesboro has really become a good stream. In June the flows are excellent, access is supremely easy right in town and fish numbers are rising with the new catch-and-release regulations.

The Shenandoah River proper is phenomenal. Smallmouth, largemouth and carp are all active and feeding at that time of year. I suggest you rent a kayak...there are a few (or certainly at least one) livery on the river, though I can't recall where.

Post 19 Oct 2017, 15:09 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks all for the info so far however; just a bit of clarification if I didn't express myself well enough in my original post.

I have zero interest in targeting trout or fishing "trout streams" in SNP or elsewhere.

I just want to fish for warm water species and leave the trout gear home. I have been fishing wild brookie/brown trout streams for years in Northcentral PA that time of year and to be honest, I am bored with it as I can do it anytime I want 5 - 25 minutes away from my house and catch bigger fish.

The goal next year if I do this is to forget hatches, water temps, specific fly patterns and fish for fish with poppers, streamers and heaven forbid, maybe even bait.

Thanks again for the info regardless!

Post 19 Oct 2017, 16:56 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Bamboozle wrote:
The goal next year if I do this is to forget hatches, water temps, specific fly patterns and fish for fish with poppers, streamers and heaven forbid, maybe even bait.

an excellent goal ;-)
I do enjoy fishing bass and warmwater, big flies with lots of moving parts, 8lb leader so you hardly ever break off, strong fish..

Post 19 Oct 2017, 20:54 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
There are a number of canoe rental places on the Shenandoah that will drop you off for a nice float. A decent sized chartreuse slider right up against the bank has kept me busy all day. The smallmouth there will also go after crawdad patterns with either a flyrod or a spinning rod with twin-tail rubber imitations bounced along the bottom.

The North fork is wadable, though I have never fished it that way. Harry Murray runs a fly shop on that side of the mountain and has published a book (sorry, don't know the name) about fishing for smallmouth there.

My first choice would be a not-too-long canoe float on the south fork with a slow 6 wt and a slider. When passing non-private land you can get out a wade a bit if desired.

PS: Due to dioxin contamination and agricultural runoff, I would not keep any fish.

Post 20 Oct 2017, 09:45 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks!

Post 21 Oct 2017, 21:24 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Bamboozle, be sure to look at the map of the river to see which parts have been developed and have homes on them...those stretches are kind of boring. Look for a stretch that has some interesting water and some wilderness along the shore. I don't remember the mile markers but there were a couple of stretches that were very nice, got little pressure and did not resemble slowly moving lakes disguised as a river. The canoe rental places will have some good ideas. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

As I mentioned, a mid-sized chartreuse slider worked well for me for smallmouth. A smaller chartreuse Accordo Bream Buster with some orange on the belly and long rubber legs did pretty well with the bream there as I recall.

Post 22 Oct 2017, 07:54 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
My favorite popper has always been what Gains calls a Minnie Pop, a tiny cigar shaped popper with a slight open face in plain orange, about a size 8 or smaller. For some reason it's a home run fly for me with smallies & other willing panfish and I can cast it a country mile.

Conventional wisdom says it's too small for big smallmouth but they don't think so..

Thanks for the tips!

New Topic Add Reply