It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:13

New Topic Add Reply
Prime 4wt
Post 14 Oct 2017, 09:53 • #1 
Master Guide
Thinking about the Prime 4wt considering the price could currently be at it's low point at $50.
Be interested in hearing comments from anyone whose cast or fished the rod.

Re: Prime 4wt
Post 14 Oct 2017, 11:53 • #2 
Inactive
I love mine. Do a search.

Post 14 Oct 2017, 13:39 • #3 
Master Guide
the abandoned brane wrote:
I love mine. Do a search.

Thanks AB. I've done a search on the internet and youtube; lots of reports on the
CGRs but have found little on the Prime.

I have the 4 wt CGR and like the rod but would like a longer, at least 7', 4 wt.

Post 14 Oct 2017, 14:05 • #4 
Inactive
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59717

The primes are slower. But one piece of course. Thanks for the heads up on the price, heading over to cabelas tomorrow to pick up a couple more then. I have a suspicion the primes are on their way out. At $50, that's liquidation prices.

Post 14 Oct 2017, 14:48 • #5 
Master Guide
The 7' 4 weight is a fun rod to fish, even more so when you hook a good sized fish. It is a slow and buttery-smooth casting rod. I never fished mine with a 3 weight line (which I want to do) and I suspect it will respond just fine.

Post 14 Oct 2017, 18:50 • #6 
Master Guide
I have the Prime 5wt and fish it with both 5 and 6wt lines. Smooth caster and fun with a fish on. I bet the 4wt would be a hoot. $50 now? Hmmm. Hard to hard a 1 pc rod but worth a shot for only $50.

Post 14 Oct 2017, 19:02 • #7 
Master Guide
Mass trout:

If this is the end of the Primes, take a chance. It is a hoot, and then some.

Post 14 Oct 2017, 21:33 • #8 
Master Guide
the abandoned brane wrote:
https://fiberglassflyrodders.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59717

The primes are slower. But one piece of course. Thanks for the heads up on the price, heading over to cabelas tomorrow to pick up a couple more then. I have a suspicion the primes are on their way out. At $50, that's liquidation prices.

Thanks for the link AB, I forgot the post and for some reason it didn't come up in my search and appreciate the other comments.

Post 15 Oct 2017, 10:10 • #9 
Guide
I have the 6'4" 4 wt and love it. I also use it with a 3 wt line.

Post 15 Oct 2017, 10:30 • #10 
Guide
lostrover wrote:
I have the 6'4" 4 wt and love it. I also use it with a 3 wt line.

Same here. It's one of the sweetest small stream rods I've ever fished.

Post 15 Oct 2017, 15:02 • #11 
Inactive
Picked up a couple more today, talking to the guy, they are indeed being discontinued. As are the current cgrs. The new cgrs will be more "modern" as he calls it. A mix between the cgrs and as he put it, "sage". Which I took to mean faster. He also went on to say how glass is more forgiving and less skill is needed. Whatever. I've got enough of both. Now I'll turn my attention back to collecting diamondbacks..

Post 15 Oct 2017, 16:07 • #12 
Master Guide
Thanks again for your comments and AB thanks again for the link. The enthusiasm was reassuring and I have my Prime 4 wt on the way. Just satisfied the equation someone on this forum posted: Number of fly rods needed = Number of fly rods on hand + 1.

Post 15 Oct 2017, 17:05 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
That formula is well known among bicycle enthusiasts. It's the n+1 equation, where the appropriate number of bikes to own is n+1.

n being the number you currently own.

Post 15 Oct 2017, 20:53 • #14 
Be thankful we are discussing affordable fly rods. I just ordered a Prime 5 wt. and a CGR 2 reel. My wife didn't raise an eyebrow. N + 1 works fine for fly rods- with guns it is more like n + 3!

Post 16 Oct 2017, 00:50 • #15 
Master Guide
I was told when I picked up my 3 wt Prime last month that they were discontinued. Shame, as most of the Prime rods are great bargain rods. I am torn over which of the Primes is best - I reeeeally like the 6' 3 weight but I think the 7' 4 weight edges it out as a better fishing tool.

I just fished yesterday and got to give my 3 weight a workout - I fished three different lines on it to see what it would do.

The 175 grain OPST commando head is a perfect match to it - I was mostly throwing it with a 3' floating tip made from one end of a DT7 line, and a 7' mono leader off that swinging small intruders, and big wet flies. I also tried a 6' floating tip made from the front of a #8 WF line and ran a standard knotless 7.5' leader off that with a big caddis dry fly and used more of a touch & go style cast and that worked great.

Switching back to a standard Cabela's Prestige trout line I was happy throwing size 12 dries and weighted hares ears.

Then for giggles I lined it with a #5 SA GPX sharkskin line and did some more single hand spey casting, and short range nymphing with a pair of weighted nymphs and a split shot.

Of the pairings I like the standard WF3 best for conventional flies and conventional casts. For hucking the shooting head and bigger fly the rods action is great BUT I really wished the rod was a tad longer - almost smacked myself with the line a couple times.

Comparitively the 7' 4 weight was better for throwing weighted nymphs and it was a great single hand spey rod. I found it liked true to weight lines as well, and I think a 175 Commando would sail on that rod and I think 7 feet is a more reasonable length for a fly rod. The 6' length of the 3 is great for brushy small streams but most of the waters I fish a 7 to 9 footer works well.

Having owned samples of the 3, 4,and 5 weights my favorite is the 4.

Kind of sad to hear they are redoing the CGRs again - Glass rods don't need to be Sage fast.

Post 16 Oct 2017, 12:45 • #16 
Master Guide
For less than $50, I just had to get the 7'1" 4 wt.
It's simply too good of a deal to pass up.
I just wonder how close it will be to my Prime 5 wt.
Oh, well. At this price, who cares?
:lol:

Post 16 Oct 2017, 13:21 • #17 
Sport
The 7'1" 4 wt is my favorite rod to use for small stream fishing. I like how it balances with the CGR1 and for $60 I think that setup is one heck of a deal. I took it out two weekends ago in the IA driftless area and had a blast. No matter the size of the fish, the rod is just pure fun.

Post 19 Oct 2017, 09:47 • #18 
Guide
JRG88 wrote:
The 7'1" 4 wt is my favorite rod to use for small stream fishing. I like how it balances with the CGR1 and for $60 I think that setup is one heck of a deal. I took it out two weekends ago in the IA driftless area and had a blast. No matter the size of the fish, the rod is just pure fun.

Ordered mine yesterday and I'm looking forward to fishing it. Planning on pairing it with a Pflueger Progress 80 (amber handle) and SA Heritage WF4F.

Post 19 Oct 2017, 10:59 • #19 
Master Guide
TXH2Oman wrote:
JRG88 wrote:

Ordered mine yesterday and I'm looking forward to fishing it. Planning on pairing it with a Pflueger Progress 80 (amber handle) and SA Heritage WF4F.

Very nice!
I have an amber handled Progress 60 that I use with my CGR 2 wt.

My Prime 4 wt. is still on its way. I'm hoping to get it by the end of the day tomorrow.

New Topic Add Reply