It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:31

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Oct 2017, 12:51 • #26 
Glass Fanatic
the abandoned brane wrote:
Once you watch me flyfish, the mystique will disappear like every fish in a 50 mile radius. Flyfishing is something I prefer to do in private for the sake of public decency.

Yup, me too!

Post 16 Oct 2017, 13:06 • #27 
Glass Fanatic
I’ve been photographed a number of times, sometimes in places I didn’t expect. In one case by a wildlife photographer who hadn’t seen his hawks and settled for a few of me.

Should you want your picture taken, come to Austin. I’ll lend you a canoe, rod, etc. and drop you off on the lake (channel dammed river) downtown near a pedestrian bridge that crosses it. Maximum clicking noises are heard morning and evening, particularly evening when the sun sets upstream.

If you really want to go for it, I’ll lend you a fedora and pipe. Putting a bend in the rod is up to you!

Post 17 Oct 2017, 05:50 • #28 
Piscator
I lived in Austin before the California invasion, when the population more than doubled in a decade. (Couldn't believe traffic last time I tried to get through Convict Hill on a Sunday afternoon.)
Except for maybe a trip to the opera or a side trip to Hut's, I can't think of a reason to subject myself to Austin today, and fishing certainly wouldn't be one - options are way too good around here.
God bless Hut's
Image Image

Last edited by bulldog1935 on 17 Oct 2017, 15:01, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Oct 2017, 05:50 • #29 
Master Guide
Due to the nature of fishing for native brookies I don't often run into people when I'm on the water, but when I do I get some long looks and interesting questions. And honestly I'm not even a great caster, mediocre most days and occasionally average. I guess it's just the fact that 99% of folks around here don't fly fish or just never see anyone doing it. I think more people would take up the sport if they knew how easy it is to learn how to make simple 20-30 foot casts and catch fish.

Post 17 Oct 2017, 06:07 • #30 
Piscator
It's because hype has sold fly fishing as fly casting instead of fishing.
A River Runs Through It with the metronome was hokey as hell. Also when Paul "broke free" - before that I always thought I was just being lazy carrying the line in the air as I strided downriver.
Real fly fishing is glorified cane pole fishing - you add the ability to reach out just a little farther.
The only thing I ever taught my girls was to roll cast (and hold the line) - the rest came natural.

Post 17 Oct 2017, 07:46 • #31 
Guide
It is for people who have never heard of it, or heard of it but have never seen it done, or are just plain curious. I used to cast on ponds a lot when I was young and lots of people asked me questions, but I was really hoping to attract a pretty girl my way - but that never happened!!!

Previous  1, 2 New Topic Add Reply