It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 05:52

New Topic Add Reply
Post 12 Oct 2017, 19:31 • #1 
Guide
Back in April 2014, my wife and I opened our home to 4 kids in need of a safe place to live. It started off as a temporary arrangement, but it soon became clear it was going to be permanent. That wasn't a bad thing, the kids had been through hell, and they deserved to be happy. Anyway, long story made short, August 10th 2016 we finalized the adoption of Caleb, Emma, Leland and Jada. Making us all one big happy fly fishing family.

Now to the fly fishing part....Anyway, we saw early on that Caleb in particular had a natural talent for fishing, and really had the desire to learn as much he could about every aspect of the sport. He was 5 when he came to live with us, but by the time he was 6 he had quickly learned to cast a fly rod and was taking it upon him self to tie his own flies. The best part of this, was it was obvious he was teaching him self, I gave him guidance when he asked for it, but he pretty much did his own thing. This even included spending time in the river next to our house doing his own research on what insects lived in the river. Now here we are 3 years later, he's up to 3 fly rods, including 1 glass rod.
Not wanting to be left out, over the last 2 years Emma, Leland and Jada have all been bitten by the fly fishing bug as well. Emma is now 8 does pretty good on the river, but truly excels at the fly tying bench. She's earned herself the nick name Fly Girl around our house. Leland struggles at the fly tying bench, but on the water he is a predator! If there is a fish any where around, he will catch it. Jada is still little, but she tries. She learned to fly cast Easter morning this year while waiting for dinner to cook, and even at 4 years old was able to lay out 50 feet of line after just a few minutes of instruction. For what its worth, all 4 kids learned to cast with a glass rod, and I truly believe that helped. Earlier this year, I published a book called Teaching Kids to Fly Fish on the cover is my daughter Emma at 7 years old, doing her thing with a glass rod. Gota love it!

Post 12 Oct 2017, 20:13 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Giving the kids a happy safe home was the best thing a person could do. Teaching them to fly fish is icing on the cake. Congratulations on what you've done so far.

Post 12 Oct 2017, 21:18 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
You and your wife, and your new children are indeed blessed. I will keep your Family in my thoughts and prayers Steve. Please pass along my best regards. There is nothing as important, or fulfilling than the love and support of Family.

John

Post 12 Oct 2017, 21:26 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
JoeFriday wrote:
Giving the kids a happy safe home was the best thing a person could do. Teaching them to fly fish is icing on the cake. Congratulations on what you've done so far.

+1 Couldn't have said it any better.

Post 13 Oct 2017, 11:09 • #5 
Guide
Thanks guys, taking the kids into my home is probably the most rewarding task I've ever taken on. The fact that they made to choice to give fly fishing a try, just makes it even better!

Post 13 Oct 2017, 11:17 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
If you need some gear for those kids, don't be shy about asking. I'll bet there is a ton of underused stuff among this crowd which could be sent your way.

Post 13 Oct 2017, 13:16 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
WNCtroutstalker wrote:
JoeFriday wrote:

+1 Couldn't have said it any better.

Amen

Post 13 Oct 2017, 13:48 • #8 
Guide
Great story . Wonderful family. Thanks

Post 13 Oct 2017, 14:11 • #9 
Guide
Absolutely wonderful. Just found the book on Amazon and ordered it. Thank you!

Post 13 Oct 2017, 14:56 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
That is a great story. I'm sure they have a much better chance at growing up to be well adjusted people with your guidance. Well, except for that ever growing pile of rods we all seem to have ... ;)

Post 13 Oct 2017, 15:31 • #11 
Guide
Good on you sgoodroe!

Post 13 Oct 2017, 15:52 • #12 
Guide
This may be the ultimate family fishing story, may your family be blessed!

Post 13 Oct 2017, 18:56 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
That's awesome!

Post 13 Oct 2017, 19:32 • #14 
Guide
TXH2Oman wrote:
Absolutely wonderful. Just found the book on Amazon and ordered it. Thank you!

Cool, and thank you! I'm sure you'll enjoy it, all 4 of my kids are in it doing their thing. :)

Thanks for all the kind words everyone! This was a true family fishing story that I've always wanted the rest of the world to know. The kids are doing great 3 1/2 years into our journey together. They all have kept up on their fly fishing, but when we aren't doing that, there's lots of hiking, camping, kayaking, and snorkeling going on. We've even put up a zip line across the river behind the house for the kids (and me!). Best part is, the fly fishing seems to be calming them down, and helping with their PTSD symptoms. Which means we all get a good nights sleep finally.

Post 13 Oct 2017, 21:47 • #15 
Master Guide
Wonderful for you and the wife to share your life and provide much needed parenting to the children. Those pictures of the children fly fishing are heart warming.

Post 21 Oct 2017, 18:21 • #16 
Guide
I took the boys out on the river today for some much needed rod time. Caleb hasn't done much fishing the last month or so, and he was really happy to be out on the water again. Leland is now 7 and has his own fly rod, vest and waders. For as good an angler as he is, he still struggles a bit with his casting. I worked with him for a little bit before sending him off on his own to try out what he had learned. Caleb, clearly wasn't happy with the quality of my instruction so he took it upon himself to go over and teach Leland to roll cast and mend line. I think that kid is destined to be either a guide or a casting instructor (or both)! Gota love it!
Caleb is kind of the "master of the roll cast" around here and has started playing around with spay casting. All on his own with out a word from me. When we hit the river tomorrow I'm going to bring my two hander for him to try out.

Last edited by sgoodroe on 22 Oct 2017, 17:29, edited 1 time in total.

Post 21 Oct 2017, 20:42 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like Caleb is a casting savant. Great job dad!

Post 22 Oct 2017, 17:47 • #18 
Guide
Today me and the boys were back out on our favorite stretch of the Missisquoi River. Caleb got his wish and spent most of the day teaching himself to use a switch rod, and doing a great job of it. When we were done for the day he told me, if he had a two hander in a more useful size (mine's an 8wt) he'd prefer to fish with that on a big river. Smart kid. :)
Leland had a good day on the water too. He still struggles with his casting technique, but he definitely gets an A+ for effort. I'm sure he'll figure it out in time, he's a smart kid. But doesn't do well with instruction. Once he was left alone and just allowed to figure things out for him self, all the pieces started falling into place.

Post 26 Oct 2017, 21:41 • #19 
Guide
That is just fantastic !! I have to say all of you are winners. The kids look so happy, and they really seem to genuinely be into fishing. They look so focused!!

Awesome family doing awesome things together. That's what it's all about. I can see nothing but love going on.

Keep it up.

New Topic Add Reply