It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:12

New Topic Add Reply
Post 02 Oct 2017, 10:16 • #1 
Inactive
I have a day to spend in or near State College. Conditions permitting, I'd like to spend my time at one or two spots/rivers tops. Any recommendations?

Also any other area recommendations? May need a place to pitch a tent, too. May stay at a hostel.

Post 02 Oct 2017, 10:36 • #2 
Master Guide
Spring Creek is the closest and will fish well. Big Fishing Creek is within range and should also fish well. Penns Creek is a little further and also should fish well.

All have wild brown trout, all have some larger trout. Big Fishing has some brook trout as well. I'd say Spring Creek is the easiest to fish, next would be Penns, next would be Big Fishing Creek. All three are good streams. I've never camped or stayed in a hostel there, just got cheap motels.

Below is a map from the PA fish and boat commission for access.

http://pfbc.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webapp ... 95eaf5c6ac

Post 02 Oct 2017, 11:58 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Shradder Creek for Brookies!!! Pine Creek works too.

Post 02 Oct 2017, 15:40 • #4 
Guide
Went to Penn State for 6 years, fly fishing heaven around there. Spring Creek is very accessible and has large numbers of wild browns plus escapee rainbows, brooks and a few palominos from state hatcheries. The upper section around Lemont is not fished as much but as good or better than the lower sections. The Logan Branch which runs into Spring Creek in Bellefonte is a small spring creek with also a large population of wild browns with some really big fish. Spruce Creek, about 45 minutes past Pleasant Gap on Rt. 45(I think) is great, however I think there is just a short stretch open that Penn State owns. Penns, Big Fishing, Elk are all good. If your time is limited, you can't go wrong with Spring, the fish are there.

Post 02 Oct 2017, 17:45 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
You could always spend the night at the Feathered Hook on Penn's Creek. Spring Creek is more consistent through the year (it is a spring creek), but some of the other creeks within 45min may be better depending on the time of year. Check in with one of the local fly shops.

Post 03 Oct 2017, 09:15 • #6 
Inactive
Another vote for spring creek.

Post 03 Oct 2017, 14:36 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
I haven't been there in years but Fishermans Paradise on Spring creek is one of my favourite places.It is between Bellefonte and State College off I believe #150.Another nice spot on Spring Creek is Benner Spring and the turnoff is beside the Nittany Mall.There is a white building ,I believe it is a church on the corner.You go down that road to the end and park outside the gates.Fishing Creek at Lamarr is also a good spot as others stated.

Post 03 Oct 2017, 14:43 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
I may be wrong on the road being #150 but it is the one that runs between Bellefonte and State College.The Paradise is catch and release and has very large and hard to catch fish.

Post 03 Oct 2017, 15:17 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
If you only have one day I would do spring Creek... There is so much water and so many fish you could easily spend a week fishing it all day every day and not get tired of it. One of the neatest things for this southerner was to be able to hop in the car, get on the highway for a couple miles and fish a completely different piece of water that is still on the same river.

Post 03 Oct 2017, 16:35 • #10 
Inactive
Thanks so much for the input guys! I think I'll focus on Spring Creek. Been real curious about Fly Fisherman's Paradise, too.

Post 03 Oct 2017, 19:49 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
You did not mention your expected timing. You should be aware that if you plan on fishing a weekend in the State College area, you need to coordinate with the Penn State Football home game schedule. The town is crazy full of people then, and all lodging within 50 miles or so is sold out a year in advance ... needless to say, getting into any restaurant is also a long line event ... as is just about everything else. FYI, after a tremendous good water summer, there has not been appreciable rain in the area since late August ... thus area waters are now VERY LOW with some hope of rain in the weekend forecast ...

On the other hand, Penn State Football is currently nationally ranked #4 :)

Pecos

Post 03 Oct 2017, 20:20 • #12 
Inactive
Good point, Juan. I'll be there on a Thursday on my way to Pittsburgh for a wedding. I don't have any expectations other than seeing the area really. I've reached that point in fishing where being there is nice enough. Anything else is just gravy.

Post 13 Oct 2017, 08:55 • #13 
Inactive
Update:

I wound up spending my afternoon on Spring Creek at the Fisherman's Paradise stretch (kind of). Once I parked and got geared up I walked upstream until the wading stretch started. It was a really interesting fishery and immediately evident how rich it was based on the amount of fish I spooked. The water was high and off color and a lot of the fish were holding in the shallow edges. Not many risers, I used streamers and nymphs and got into fish all day. The last fish was my best, probably just shy of 14"s and buttered up in fall colors, blue dot behind its eye the size of the moon. I forgot to mash the barb and took a little longer taking the hook out than I would have liked so I released him with no picture.

Anyhow, it was a great time. I used the new Scott G Series 885, it was perfect for that water.

New Topic Add Reply