It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:22

New Topic Add Reply
Post 26 Sep 2017, 20:50 • #1 
I recently purchased a Cabelas Prime 7'3" 5 weight fiberglass rod , and I was thinking about mounting an Orvis Battenkill( Made in England by Hardy) 5/6 reel . Being that I'm new to fly fishing ( this is my first year) , I wondering am I looking to be disappointed using this combination at my local pond where I try to catch bass using poppers and sponge bugs? Also I find that I really struggle with some of the poppers I try. ( No distance) . I don't know what type of line came with the reel when I bought it. Any suggestions as to the rod and reel combo, and what type line I should use.

Post 27 Sep 2017, 19:04 • #2 
Bass:
I fish a lot of poppers and unless you are going really small like #8 #10 or #12 size poppers you are just a bit under gunned. I normally use an 8 Wt that will push a 1/0 popper an easy 50 - 60 ft. I also usually have a rigged second or third rod one of them is normally a 6 Wt that will work for small poppers an most any foam type fly. (fishing from a boat) With poppers we have two things working against us, weight and wind resistance. The poppers with several legs coming out from the side are very wind resistant.

Seems you have two options:
1. Smaller/lighter lures
2. A larger outfit (8wt or 9wt in 9 ft with weight forward line which will cast to and catch anything this side of saltwater)

Keep us posted, good fishing,

Jim P

Post 27 Sep 2017, 20:27 • #3 
Master Guide
I agree with Jim P's suggestion about the size of the poppers. The Prime has alot of flex which makes casting flys oversized for the weight of the rod troublesome . Since you selected the Prime, I assume you like the sensitivity the rod has when playing a fish and you might not like a larger rod.
As a rule of thumb, if you follow the recommended hook size for a rod your will have a better casting experience; for a 5 wt the maximum recommended hook size is a #8; this is information available on the web.
The rod should have been sold with the correct line, likely a WF 5 wt. If you have a locale fly shop take the line to them and they will be able to access the line weight and whether the line is appropriate for the rod. You could also lawn cast without a fly and evaluate how the line is loading the rod; watching you tube videos can provide some idea of what a loaded rod should look and feel like.

Post 28 Sep 2017, 10:09 • #4 
Master Guide
If you have a local Cabelas, go down and talk to them. They can pick out a line and put it on the reel for you. Take any reel (your Battenkill is fine) or go with one in store. The CGR reel was on sale as of this weekend.

If you wanna cast poppers for bass, go with Boogle Bugs or something similar - deer hair will be too much. Foamies will work. That rod will bend but if you've got bucketmouths, an 8 weight would be best.

Now, if you've got local Smallies, EXCELLENT rod.

Post 28 Sep 2017, 10:35 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
To augment all of the excellent advice already given I'll add:

Regardless of what rod/line you use, keep your leader simple, short & stout when fishing poppers or any big, resistant stuff. In other words, resist the urge to use 9' 4X trout leaders.

I'm sure lots will chime in their favorite bass leaders but suffice it to say .013 is a gossamer BASS tippet in my world and 5-6' feel long is the norm of my overall leaders.

Good luck!

Post 28 Sep 2017, 14:52 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
So this is your first year casting and you are using a 7'3" glass rod and you are not getting great distance - that's pretty normal! (let me guess 30'?) Apart from all the great advice above it's a fact that generating distance from such a rod requires good technique which takes a while to acquire. So you are going to have to practice and patiently work on improving your skills. It would be very helpful in speeding up that process if you could get lessons or even just friendly advice from a good caster.

Post 28 Sep 2017, 15:50 • #7 
Master Guide
I think the rod is too weak for what you want to do. Cabelas is good about taking a product back. Even if you used it.

Post 28 Sep 2017, 17:46 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
In my mind's eye, that 5wt should be perfect for trout and pan fish. You should get a 7wt or 8wt for the big bugs. Luckily, quality vintage bass rods don't command the prices trout rods do. You could find a lot of GOOD glass 7/8wt rods for under $100. I've also read good things about the Cabelas 8wt CGRs.
BTW, you should always have two rods with you. Just in case...

Post 28 Sep 2017, 17:53 • #9 
Thanks to all who chimed in , the advice is extremely helpful and I will follow up with some of the local shops to see what I do have in the reel . Just so you know I do have (2) heavier rods to use , The before mentioned Conolon-F-80 with a Ross 7wt. reel and a Cabela 8wt graphite rod with a similar 8wt Ross reel. I just like using the shorter one because the pond I cast at is real close to some adjacent condos.

Post 28 Sep 2017, 19:27 • #10 
Master Guide
As was said. You could trade your rod for the CGR 8wt. It's a nice glass rod at about the same price range at Cabelas.

Post 28 Sep 2017, 19:32 • #11 
Master Guide
Foam flies will be easier to throw than deerhair bugs. I would definitely make sure your leader is up to the task. My bass leaders are shorter, stiffer and heavier than my trout leaders. Sometimes just 4ft of 16lb mono and another 3ft of 12lb tippet. The 5wt Prime with throw a 6wt line easily. Chubby Chernobyls are a good fly to throw for bass with a 5wt rod. Just splash it down on the water :). Most of all, have fun!!!

Post 28 Sep 2017, 22:24 • #12 
Master Guide
I like the Rio Gold or SA GPX lines on my Prime 5 weight. I was struggling for distance earlier this year after fishing heavy rods or shooting heads a lot. I worked out my issues and with a good relaxed stroke and the right line the Prime can put out a 40' cast with a #8 bug. The CGR would be better for slightly bigger bugs. Stick to smaller panfish flies on the Prime and grab a good 8 weight for bass bugs. The CGR 7/8 can be a cannon, but its not so stiff its not fun with panfish of 6 plus inches.

I primarily use a Medalist 1594rc on my Prime 5 weight, sometimes I use my Nautilus but thats usually on my CGR 5 or my graphite stick.

Post 29 Sep 2017, 00:24 • #13 
Guide
Bamboozle wrote:
To augment all of the excellent advice already given I'll add:

Regardless of what rod/line you use, keep your leader simple, short & stout when fishing poppers or any big, resistant stuff. In other words, resist the urge to use 9' 4X trout leaders.

I'm sure lots will chime in their favorite bass leaders but suffice it to say .013 is a gossamer BASS tippet in my world and 5-6' feel long is the norm of my overall leaders.

Good luck!

I think this is spot on. Most people never think much about the importance of leaders, especially for big bugs and streamers, where many people simply use a length of stiff mono. Then they wonder why it doesn't cast. Or why the fly smacks them in the back of the head from tailing loops.

Regardless of how you fly fish, the leader needs to properly transmit the ENERGY of your cast from the fly line to the fly. Failing to do that causes all the above mentioned problems, as well as no distance on your cast, as the bigger fly/popper/streamer won't turn over properly, because the leader doesn't transmit the proper energy to overcome the wind resistance of a big fly (or weight, for that matter).

A simple analogy is this: You throw a football all of your life. You have accuracy and distance, as well as confidence in your ability to do so. Then someone hands you a football that is 50% bigger, and slightly heavier. What happens to your accuracy and distance? Growing a longer arm would help, but a stronger arm will work, too. Why? Because you are transmitting the energy more efficiently.

I'm not a great fisherman, but I do understand leaders, as I've been making and selling furled leaders for years. I find it amazing that people will spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on a rod, then couple it with a top of the line reel, the 'best' line, and yet use a $4.00 leader and expect good results. Hell, people spend more on leader material than leaders.

Think about it.

Post 29 Sep 2017, 15:39 • #14 
Again thanks for the input, there seem to be a lot of different theories about the proper equipment , but it appears to me ( being a novice) I have a lot to learn. I suspect that I've been under gunning my equipment when fishing for bass. ( Most of the ones I catch are largemouths , between 1-1/4 pounds up to the occasional 3-4 pounder) . Most times I'm using a 5wt, , but I have never tried anything heavier than one of my 6 wt. rods. After listening to you guys , it looks like I maybe happier with one of my 7 or 8 wt. rods. I will try some of the suggestions about my choice of leaders . and I will report back here to see if it made a difference. Thank you again for all of the sage advice.

Post 29 Sep 2017, 19:21 • #15 
Master Guide
It depends on the rod too. Some are a lot stiffer than others. I only had one Prime rod, but sent it back. It was too soft for me and I only fish for trout.

Post 30 Sep 2017, 04:08 • #16 
Guide
Another reason for using the heavier equipment...largemouth in ponds often live in weeds and moss...so be ready to keep them out or pull them out of vegetation,...

Post 30 Sep 2017, 07:35 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Base your rod/line weight choice on the size of the flies/bugs/poppers to be cast, not the size of the fish to be caught. If the fish are substantially larger than typical, choose a still heavier rod/lineweight. It is vastly more efficient to cast smaller flies with an upsized rod/lineweight than to "throw" oversized flies for the rod/lineweight. It used to be this was what was really meant by "balanced" tackle--well matched. It happens that weight-balanced combos are usually the outcome as well. Even when a rod for a light line weight will "throw" oversized junk, it will lack the hooksetting guts for the hooksizes used, and it will be less responsive in mending line, taking up slack before a strike and so on because it will be "soft" relative to the bulk/weight it is being asked to deal with.

Post 30 Sep 2017, 12:06 • #18 
You guys are a wellspring of knowledge .. thanks

Post 01 Oct 2017, 22:08 • #19 
Master Guide
A quick comment. Another advantage to balancing the rod/leader/fly is it's puts less stress on the body.
When I was younger it didn't matter so much, but as I've aged paying attention to balance keeps me fishing.

Post 20 Oct 2017, 19:30 • #20 
JimR,
Thanks for the tip.At 63 years , young I have noticed that my right shoulder hurts a bit after an hour or two of casting. An suggestions .. beside Ibuprofen?

Bass

New Topic Add Reply