It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 07:44

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 04 Sep 2017, 03:36 • #1 
Sport
Like his grasshopper gifts I'll take on a dozen names and send a minimum of...1 Crackelback, silk yellow floss, size 14 barbless... and 1 Red Ass Kelso soft hackle, size 16, Red silk butt, Herl collar, Partridge (Grouse) soft hackle. I need to tie a few more of these for the White River next month anyway. No SASE needed, I'll just post them for ya'.

Guys, I do a lot of fly swaps but truth is, I seldom get out anymore to try out the flies I'm sent. I will put the grasshopper out on a few local bass ponds though to try to get a picture. My cost for the flies is the same as ibookje's. Use them, catch a fish, and post them on here. I'll post some pics of the flies later. See if my work around for PB works here or maybe PB will surprise me and still let me post from there like it has when so many others got burnt.

Nick

Post 04 Sep 2017, 07:13 • #2 
Guide
Sounds great, I'd be in!

Post 04 Sep 2017, 09:12 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Good luck!

Post 06 Sep 2017, 23:19 • #4 
Sport
Crickets, crickets, crickets. They drive my wife nuts but I can't hear them. Anyway, I don't know if people asked around about my flies or what but I can't even give them away. I even tied up a bunch of the "Improved Wooly Bugger" design to go with. I'll give this until Sunday and if it continues to have the lookers but no takers I'll shut it down and send a bunch to Moose.

Nick

Post 07 Sep 2017, 00:22 • #5 
Master Guide
I'd be interested as well.

Post 07 Sep 2017, 04:24 • #6 
Sport
Thanks Char. Northern WI was my old stomping grounds. Spent a lot of years around Boulder Junction, Namakagon, and folks cabin between Washburn and Bayfield. Fished the streams running into Superior a lot when runs were on, and way upstream and in the tributaries when the big guys were back in the lake. Dad ran excursion boat out of Bayfield for many years and I decked for him at times and ran campers out to the Islands. Had a six pack license and had my own boat and chartered on the north shore in MN where I lived for many years.

So, where are you at in WI? Nick

Post 07 Sep 2017, 04:49 • #7 
Master Guide
bassman wrote:
Thanks Char. Northern WI was my old stomping grounds. Spent a lot of years around Boulder Junction, Namakagon, and folks cabin between Washburn and Bayfield. Fished the streams running into Superior a lot when runs were on, and way upstream and in the tributaries when the big guys were back in the lake. Dad ran excursion boat out of Bayfield for many years and I decked for him at times and ran campers out to the Islands. Had a six pack license and had my own boat and chartered on the north shore in MN where I lived for many years.

So, where are you at in WI? Nick

Really my permanent residence is south of Green Bay, so not Northern WI by any means. But I spend more time chasing brookies in Marinette Co., northern Oconto, Forest, Florence, Vilas, Langlade, Lincoln, etc. than I do at home. So I prefer to think of that as "home". :)

Post 07 Sep 2017, 13:31 • #8 
Guide
Bassman-

Very nice to offer this up. Since I'm in on the hopper challenge I thought I would stand down for this one and let some of the other board members have a crack at it.

If you end up needing a surplus rod for the experiment send me a PM and I'll shoot you my address.

Post 07 Sep 2017, 13:46 • #9 
Sport
Hi Bassman,

I was too late on iBookje's festival, but I'm happy to volunteer for yours.
Thanks for the kind offer.

Post 07 Sep 2017, 14:33 • #10 
Inactive
Very generous! I fish the White and some of the Missouri parks on a regular basis. If I didn't have a boxful of cracklebacks in various colors I'd take you up on your offer. Very effective fly. Like the original, but different tinsel colors work well too. There's a blue color that works so well at Bennett Spring State Park the local fly shops call it "Bennett blue".

Post 07 Sep 2017, 18:11 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
a generous offer, thank you.. I have an actual trout fishing trip scheduled for the end of this month on the Encampment creek in WY, so could use a couple of flies since I don't seem to be finding time to tie.. second trout trip of the year, not been a good year.

Post 08 Sep 2017, 02:40 • #12 
Sport
Anybody else want in between now and Sunday PM me an address and I'll get to tying. If you have flies you particularly like and they are within my limited abilities I'd gladly tie them for you and throw. Doug in CO, if you are going to be fishing in one of those areas where everyone says you need tiny flies (anyone else also) let me know. I actually enjoy tying the small stuff and have a big bunch on hand I'll never get to use. I have nymphs, emergers, parachutes and gnats of various body and hackle colors from 20 - 32 I could send you some of.

I have a huge collection of flies tied and enjoy the hobby since it keeps me in mind of fishing I can't do much of anymore. So anyone having requests for different patterns just speak up and I'll enhance your fly box for you.

Nick

Post 12 Sep 2017, 10:31 • #13 
Sport
So this is what I've tied since making the offer. If Photo Bucket hasn't caught up with me I have Cracklebacks, Red Ass Kelsos, parachute purple hazes, some in 16-20, and some beaded softhackle instead of herl. I have 5 people said they'd give 'em a try, waiting on two addresses, and if anyone else wants a sample package just get me an address and I'll send 'em out next Monday. If anyone has particular fly patterns or styles they like let me know and if I can tie I'll include it...Nick

Post 12 Sep 2017, 15:37 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
wow those look good..

Post 12 Sep 2017, 19:35 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Very nice proportions on the ties. Those look like nice hooks too.

Post 15 Sep 2017, 11:19 • #16 
Guide
Bassman-

I have plans your two offerings.... I will use them as a dropper under iBrookje's hopper!

With luck, I should have something to post last week of September. I will be fishing in and around Truckee on the 24th.

Best,

SuperG

Post 15 Sep 2017, 21:59 • #17 
Sport
Sounds good SuperG. I packaged up the flies today with some extras so everyone will get a few more since there were only five of you wanted free flies. They are packaged, addressed and sealed but miss PO so won't go out until Monday. You guys let me know what you think after they show up. I didn't know what to send to Germany so I just sent the same things I sent to everyone but as I picked them up I said "Guten Tag, Guten fischen", and when I dropped them in plastic box I said "Auf Wiedersehen". Hopefully that'll fool 'em.

Post 18 Sep 2017, 11:58 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
'Petri Heil' is also good, for German flies ;-)

I didn't have all the materials required for an ibookje bug, so tied up a variant to drop your flies off of..

these use gen-u-wine Wyoming pronghorn hair, I am hoping for a little extra magic affinity when fishing them in WY..

Post 18 Sep 2017, 18:14 • #19 
Master Guide
I'm in if the event is still open.

Last edited by JimR on 19 Sep 2017, 16:30, edited 1 time in total.

Post 19 Sep 2017, 08:50 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Those look like terrific flies, but I'm not familiar with them. Could you tell us a bit about where when and how they work?

Post 20 Sep 2017, 21:18 • #21 
Guide
Bassman.... Your flies arrived today. Simply beautiful. I'll be fishing the Truckee and the Little Truckee on Sunday with a hopper dropper set up courtesy of you and iBrookie. They are expecting snow tomorrow night in Truckee so I will be getting into the very last vestiges of the hopper season I think.

I'll try to get some stuff posted next week though I will be on a business trip.

Thanks, and again, these are terrific looking flies!

Post 20 Sep 2017, 22:26 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
doug in co wrote:

The stuff in the glass looks pretty good too!

Post 21 Sep 2017, 06:30 • #23 
Sport
Newfydog, didn't see your post until today. The flies I have shown are pretty basic. The Crackleback is basically a pattern similar to the Griffith's Gnat but with floss body and herl pulled over top from back to front. The purple haze parachutes is essentially a parachute Adams with purple floss body. Both of those are top water flies but the Crackleback can produce on return underwater by twitching on the way back.

The Soft Hackles with or without beads are fished in a variety of ways. They can be lightly greased and fished right in the surface film as an emerger or swung with the current as a wet fly. Lifting the fly at end of drift is important as it looks like an emerging mayfly heading for surface. The beaded one just get down in the water column a little deeper and are usually swung but can be drifted right on bottom like a nymph.The older terminology and one that creates arguments about hackle length and how deep into hook its wrapped and did you use silk thread or floss but what they were first referred to as was North Country Spiders.

Post 21 Sep 2017, 09:48 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Bassman! I know the Purple Haze well---Its my #1 fly. I used it yesterday in a blue wing olive hatch and it out fished my BWO fies 5:1.

The Crackleback intrigues me. I use an Orange Asher, and old Colorado midge fly which is hard to find now, but outfishes a Griffith's Gnat frequently. I'll bet you fly does too.
I don't use soft hackles nearly enough, and need to learn more about them.

Post 21 Sep 2017, 13:49 • #25 
Glass Fanatic
Newfydog wrote:
The stuff in the glass looks pretty good too!

medication for my old age ;-)

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply