It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:59

New Topic Add Reply
Fenglass 5wt Spey Lite
Post 13 Aug 2017, 10:43 • #1 
Sport
I have been waiting for an intergrated trout Skagit. I tried the Commando head and really like it except for the mono running line, and the loop to loop coming through the guides. Now that SA released the Spey Lite Skagit and Scandi I am looking for a rod and thinking that the new Fenglass 7'6" 5 wt would be the rod. I would use it to fish streamers in tight situations. I have the 7wt and like it more than my classic glass rods. I was going to use a 7'6" 5wt Cabelas CGR but I think it is a bit to slow for my stroke.

Post 14 Aug 2017, 08:36 • #2 
Sport
I pretty exclusively fish with commando heads (chucking big balsa poppers for bass and swinging flies for steelhead) and I thought the loop to loop running through the guides would be a problem but it just sounds a little clanky. No hang ups. I also fish the OPST lazar line for steelhead and 40lb Berkley big game on the bass rig. The 40lb is thicker and easier to get a good hold onto for shooting and stripping. The 35lb lazar is thinnnnn stuff but she sure does fly. The pink is pretty cute too ;)

Nick

Post 14 Aug 2017, 17:24 • #3 
Master Guide
I'll have to check this new line. I tried commando heads and the lazar line and it was not ideal. Loop to loop kept catching in the guides and the mono running line was a nightmare.

Post 14 Aug 2017, 17:49 • #4 
Sport
Anyone else have any experience with the SA Spey lite integrated line? I am thinking about trying a 180g on my bluehalo 3wt to run it as a 4wt. I'm also curious about putting one on my barclay 75p?

Post 18 Aug 2017, 20:00 • #5 
Sport
The loop to loop angered me as it kept catching in the guides. I like the idea just not the way I was fishing it. I would like to try one of these Spey Lite lines. I may even go to a smaller rod as the trout I'm after are not all that big.

Post 20 Aug 2017, 14:38 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
The Spey Lite lines look really interesting. Interesting to see that Wulff has hopped on the shorter skagit-y head train and now offer an Ambush short. I do really like integrated lines for stripping streamers and turning over a lot of junk, but for straight up shooting ability, it's tough to beat mono. I'm also in the Commando camp (careful where you say THAT), and noticed that it depends on the knots I use how much hanging up goes on. Take a look at how Ed Ward ties his double surgeons loops...he gets them really really small. Once I started doing it that way, I've been having minimal issues with that. I've just recently switch from Berkley BG to Stren Catfish and really like the Stren more. It just seems easier to get rid of the memory than BG. I digress...I'll be curious to hear what folks think of the SA once more people get their hands on it.

Post 21 Aug 2017, 12:43 • #7 
Master Guide
I have noticed a couple rods i have dont like the shooting heads as much as others because of the loop to loop. The mono knot is a non issue - its the bight between mono and head that catches. I redid the loop on my skagit max short but it still catches on a couple rods. My loomis with single foot guides catches more than my CGR. The tiny guides on the Prime is the worst offender. The big guides on my wife's tfo graphite dont seem as snaggy. Snakes are superior to single footers for sure for shooting heads.

Post 26 Aug 2017, 13:13 • #8 
Guide
I use a dab of knot sense on my shooting head to mono connections, It makes it a bit more difficult to change heads quickly but it is not permanent. I use a triple surgeons knot on my mono running line, pulled TIGHT with gloves it gets very small. Then a dab of knot sense on that. Always go's out and reels in super smooth, just little click clacks.

I also allways put knot sense into the end of the braided loop that the fly line won't slide into any more, it fills the braid and makes it dense like fly line and not hinge as much.

New Topic Add Reply