It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 09:23

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Aug 2017, 07:49 • #1 
Master Guide
When Mike from Mountain Brook Rods launched this series I was immediately interested in picking up his 8' 5wt 'Salmo Trutta.' These rods are two piece rods and are unapologetically on the faster side of glass. This is exactly what I was looking for as an all-round rod for fishing some of the bigger tailwaters and freestone rivers in Colorado. To be clear, 'fast for glass' is still slower than slow graphite so this rod doesn't sacrifice any of the flex and feel that we all love in fiberglass. For example, it's action is still slower than my 7'9" Orvis Far and Fine 5wt graphite and I don't think anyone would label the Far and Fine as a 'cannon.' The Salmo Trutta (awesome name BTW!) is a powerful rod with a strong butt section and a softish tip. However, the tip is not so soft that you miss hook sets when nymphing big water, which is a problem I've had with some glass rods. The Salmo Trutta performed flawlessly in this regard. Over the past 4 weeks, I really put this rod through it's paces on all types of water - 8 days on tailwater fisheries like South Platte and the Frying Pan, 2 days on small creeks like the Tarryall and Grape, as well as a full day float trip on the Arkansas River. On the float trip alone , I must have cast the rod a few thousand times. This rod is a smooth caster no matter what the situation. It handled BIG hopper dropper rigs in the wind from a raft and small PMD's and spinners on tailwaters with accuracy and touch. What I really like about this stick is its performance as a nymphing rod. If I'm going out to the river and I might encounter any or all fishing situations, this is my new go-to all-rounder! I fished it with two lines a 406 5wt DT and a Rio Gold 5wt WF. I like it with the Rio Gold best, especially for launching big flies or weighted rigs.

A few from tailwaters...this rod can handle big fish

I had my Epic 580 with me one day for comparison. Both are fantastic rods! To me, the Salmo Trutta has more reserve power in the butt than the Epic and the tip is slightly stiffer which is why I think so highly of this rod for nymphing!

The float trip is where I really gave this rod a workout. Cast after cast, fish after fish on big, fast water really provided a perfect proving ground. The Arkansas River was running a little high that day. The river is fast in the middle and slow on the edges. You pound the bank with your flies and when you hook up, the fish runs upstream while the raft is floating downstream in the fast water. This really puts a bend in the rod because the fish is fighting both the fast current and the boat. You want to get the fish in the boat quickly so you don't exhaust them. With its powerful butt section and deep flex you can really 'put the wood' to 'em!

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Robert on 10 Aug 2017, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

Post 10 Aug 2017, 07:55 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Great report! Thanks for sharing. The 580 is one fine rod, so by comparison Mike's new Salmo Trutta must be very nice indeed!

Post 10 Aug 2017, 08:48 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Sweet!

Post 10 Aug 2017, 09:01 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the report and the photos!

Post 10 Aug 2017, 11:03 • #5 
Master Guide
Wow, great photos. Some great fish and water, glad you had fun with the rod, looks like it got a work out, the rafts were moving I bet !
Thanks for posting those gorgeous fish.

Post 10 Aug 2017, 12:01 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Hey Robert- great story and great pics. Looks like that intro to his 2wt paid off. Need to fish Colorado sometime. Roy

Post 10 Aug 2017, 19:04 • #7 
Master Guide
retiredfisher1 wrote:
Hey Robert- great story and great pics. Looks like that intro to his 2wt paid off. Need to fish Colorado sometime. Roy

Roy,
You are welcome at my home anytime. I can't cook like Aurelio but you won't starve to death! :lol
I'm within a forty minute drive of some pretty amazing water. The tailwaters on the front range are crowded but I just wake up earlier than everyone else or we fish in the early evening.

Post 11 Aug 2017, 08:30 • #8 
Master Guide
Where do you live?

Post 11 Aug 2017, 08:37 • #9 
Master Guide
Creek wrote:
Where do you live?

Creek,
I live in Woodland Park, about 20 miles west of Colorado Springs and only about 75 miles east of you in Buena Vista. We should fish sometime. :)

Post 11 Aug 2017, 09:03 • #10 
Sport
Robert, as always a wonderful photographic journey and fabulous write up of your trips. Thanks very much for sharing your sentiments of this rod from the "two Mike's". It sounds like a taper that I would also appreciate, and reminds me a bit of my all time favorite 8 foot 5 weight by the way you compared it to the Epic 580.

I hope the remainder of the season affords you several more rewarding outings.

Post 11 Aug 2017, 10:16 • #11 
Master Guide
Robert wrote:
Creek wrote:
Where do you live?

Creek,
I live in Woodland Park, about 20 miles west of Colorado Springs and only about 75 miles east of you in Buena Vista. We should fish sometime. :)

Yes, we should. We have plenty of waters to choose from.

Post 11 Aug 2017, 11:03 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Nice report, sounds like a nice rod!

Bob

Post 11 Aug 2017, 11:47 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Great report and awesome pictures.........aurelio

Post 11 Aug 2017, 17:24 • #14 
Master Guide
Adrien schnee wrote:
Robert, as always a wonderful photographic journey and fabulous write up of your trips. Thanks very much for sharing your sentiments of this rod from the "two Mike's". It sounds like a taper that I would also appreciate, and reminds me a bit of my all time favorite 8 foot 5 weight by the way you compared it to the Epic 580.

I hope the remainder of the season affords you several more rewarding outings.

Thanks Adrien! Hope you're able to get out on the water this summer!

Post 12 Aug 2017, 11:34 • #15 
Guide
Thanks for the report and great pictures. Great waters within comfortable distance = FFR Paradise!

New Topic Add Reply