It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 19:51

New Topic Add Reply
Something new.
Post 04 Aug 2017, 19:43 • #1 
Guide
I've been thinking of adding a fiberglass rod to my online business for a while. My goal in this, is to provide an affordable, quality glass rod in a classic color. I've been looking at a lot of different options for some time, but finally pulled the trigger on one, and here is the sample I received on Wednesday.....
ImageCork by sonofbob3, on Flickr
Image2017-08-04_05-31-44 by sonofbob3, on Flickr
Image2017-08-04_05-32-07 by sonofbob3, on Flickr

I was on edge for a week waiting for it, and I was a little nervous when I opened it. Turns out I didn't need to be!

8' 5wt 3pc S glass construction, with medium-fast action, 4.7 oz. Translucent Honey-Ale color, with blued guides and hardware. Good quality cork, though a fair amount of filler, but very nice for a 'working man's rod' (which it's intended to be). Spigot ferrules, which are new to me, being a bamboo and vintage glass guy...gotta say I like them better than I thought I would. Beautiful carbon tube.

But how does it cast, you might ask???? Freaking beautifully!!!! Holy crap. I've only been able to lawn cast so far, but...wow! It has better loading characteristics and accuracy than I ever expected. Far better than any of my vintage Fenwicks, incidentally. Actually, the Medalist reel and line in the photo are from my favorite Fenwick, an FL-6 (not a kit rod, trust me).

So far, I am extremely pleased with the results I've seen. Hoping to fish it soon, but also getting ready for a trip on the 14th, so we'll see. On the 14th, we'll be headed to fish the St. Joe in Idaho, where this rod will be tested on everything, from #22 dries, nymphs and some ugly-big streamers over the course of a week, with several people testing it.

Looking forward to reporting back on how it performs!

Re: Something new.
Post 05 Aug 2017, 16:33 • #2 
Master Guide
That's cool Jaime. Are you thinking just the 5 wgt, or a lineup? I've never felt that I needed a 3 wgt, but if the price is right.... Well, you know how it is ;)
By the way, haven't fished it yet, but I found a FL-7 to go with my FL-6.

Post 05 Aug 2017, 16:55 • #3 
Master Guide
Looks good and the color is pleasing. I would strongly suggest a more classic grip contour, though, such as cigar-shaped. I find "reverse half wells" to be universally uncomfortable as the swell has crept to the front of the grip over the years. They are, however, very comfortable when turned around, being essentially a Heddon grip then. Good luck with the sales!
Kean

Post 06 Aug 2017, 12:59 • #4 
Guide
arknymph wrote:
That's cool Jaime. Are you thinking just the 5 wgt, or a lineup? I've never felt that I needed a 3 wgt, but if the price is right.... Well, you know how it is ;)
By the way, haven't fished it yet, but I found a FL-7 to go with my FL-6.

Just in the sample phase at the moment, but they do offer a 7' 3wt, as well as an 8.5' 6wt. I'm thinking about the 3wt. Not so sure about the 6wt. What do you think of an 8.5' glass rod? My sample 8' 5wt weighs 3.8 ounces (compared to 3.3 oz for my FL-6 73/4' which is down 3" from tip). Not the heaviest, but not exactly light, either. This rod 'feels' much lighter in the hand than my FL-6, though it is actually 1/2 oz heavier. It is slightly faster than the FL, so that may be it. It simply feels more responsive to me.

Thanks for any input!

Post 06 Aug 2017, 13:09 • #5 
Guide
Shrimpman wrote:
Looks good and the color is pleasing. I would strongly suggest a more classic grip contour, though, such as cigar-shaped. I find "reverse half wells" to be universally uncomfortable as the swell has crept to the front of the grip over the years. They are, however, very comfortable when turned around, being essentially a Heddon grip then. Good luck with the sales!
Kean

Lol! I actually picked this one specifically for the color. They offer it in translucent blue and clear, but I like the classic colors.

I actually find the grip to be pretty comfortable, but again, have only lawn cast it so far. I find that with most grips, my hand never knows precisely where to be. I kind of miss the old 'comficient' grips on SB bamboo rods. I liked the thumb indentation, actually.

Like I said, looking forward to actually fishing it. I'll be fishing it for a few days on the St. Joe in northern Idaho with my buddy Scott Nilsson, who is a fairly renown bamboo maker (www.highdesertflyrods.com) and I'm really looking forward to his feedback. I think it's going to be a bit fast for his liking, but it's not bamboo, either.

Post 06 Aug 2017, 13:56 • #6 
Master Guide
Keep us posted, I'm Always interested in new options.

Post 06 Aug 2017, 16:38 • #7 
Master Guide
I like it. Any idea of a price yet Jaime?

Post 06 Aug 2017, 18:04 • #8 
Guide
The goal is less than $130.00, but it's a bit early to even guess. I imagine the changes I want made will add a bit more than expected. We'll see. I'll keep everyone posted.

Post 07 Aug 2017, 05:59 • #9 
I picked up the 7' 3wt as an entry to glass rod. I took it out last weekend and it handled several peacock bass without issue. Definitely makes me want to get into a 5wt at some point down the line.

Post 12 Aug 2017, 15:03 • #10 
Guide
A friend gave me a new airflow 5wt line for the rod.....wow! Even better than before! Won't be fishing it until next week, but everyone who has cast it comments on its accuracy and easy loading. I haven't been this excited about a rod since I built my first bamboo!!! :P

Post 12 Aug 2017, 21:21 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Are these the Maxcatch rods ? If so, I have the 3wt and the 6wt. Lots of opinions in the Maxcatch thread on here. I just fished the 6wt last weekend for some warmwater ponds (sunfish and bass). Nice rod, but heavy. The extra length is a nice feature when you need to stretch out over, say, weeds or other vegetation. I used a half-weight heavy line.

Post 14 Aug 2017, 12:21 • #12 
If you're interested, here's the 3wt version with a peacock bass on the other end. Sorry for the bad quality; I'm just not a good videographer/[insert some other excuse]. I like this rod, tho!

Post 14 Aug 2017, 14:30 • #13 
Master Guide
Nice bend into the grip.

Post 14 Aug 2017, 14:44 • #14 
Master Guide
It looks very nice, Jaime. Keep us posted.

Is that the tube that came with the sample or your own addition? It looks good.

Post 17 Aug 2017, 20:50 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
JaimeC wrote:
Shrimpman wrote:
Kean

Lol! I actually picked this one specifically for the color. They offer it in translucent blue and clear, but I like the classic colors.

I actually find the grip to be pretty comfortable, but again, have only lawn cast it so far. I find that with most grips, my hand never knows precisely where to be. I kind of miss the old 'comficient' grips on SB bamboo rods. I liked the thumb indentation, actually.

Like I said, looking forward to actually fishing it. I'll be fishing it for a few days on the St. Joe in northern Idaho with my buddy Scott Nilsson, who is a fairly renown bamboo maker (http://www.highdesertflyrods.com) and I'm really looking forward to his feedback. I think it's going to be a bit fast for his liking, but it's not bamboo, either.

I have to admit I'm a sucker for color too. I have one rod with a bright red blank and another with an insect green blank. Nice looking rod. Let us know how you do on the St. Joe

Post 19 Aug 2017, 03:26 • #16 
Guide
skunked_ wrote:
It looks very nice, Jaime. Keep us posted.

Is that the tube that came with the sample or your own addition? It looks good.

That's how I intend the end product to appear. Yes, that is their rod tube. No, it doesn't fit, as it's a few inches short (designed for a different rod, but sent as a sample). Yes, it is actually a carbon tube (PVC is shiite, in my opinion...warps), with brass fittings. VERY nice tube! The rod sock in the photo is actually from a G. Loomis rod, but represents more closely what I want to sell. Their rod sock is purely embarrassing. Poorly made, extremely thin material, and in crossing-guard orange. I want the sock in heavier weight COTTON material, in gray, tan, or black. This is a nice rod, it deserves a better sock and case, believe me.

This is why I can't give pricing at the moment. I plan/hope to offer the rod in 3 pricing levels.
1-Rod, sock and tube
2-Rod, sock, tube and 2 Uni Furled Leaders
3-Rod, sock, tube and 2 Silk Furled Leaders.

We'll see.

Post 19 Aug 2017, 03:32 • #17 
Guide
softhackle wrote:
JaimeC wrote:
Shrimpman wrote:
Kean

Like I said, looking forward to actually fishing it. I'll be fishing it for a few days on the St. Joe in northern Idaho with my buddy Scott Nilsson, who is a fairly renown bamboo maker (http://www.highdesertflyrods.com) and I'm really looking forward to his feedback. I think it's going to be a bit fast for his liking, but it's not bamboo, either.

I have to admit I'm a sucker for color too. I have one rod with a bright red blank and another with an insect green blank. Nice looking rod. Let us know how you do on the St. Joe

St. Joe was beautiful country, but the fishing flat out sucked. Granted, we didn't fish as much as I would have liked, but there was either no hatch, with fish rising (yes, I'm serious), or a decent hatch, with no risers at all (again, quite serious). Nymphs, wets, dries, nada, zip, bupkus.

New Topic Add Reply