It is currently 20 Apr 2024, 00:48

New Topic Add Reply
NC day trip
Post 22 Jul 2017, 14:26 • #1 
Guide
My wife wanted to take a little day trip to the Asheville area, so of course I had to bring a fishing rod. We left at 5am, arrived around 8. I brought her a chair and set her up on the bank. I fished a stream that was excellent in April though not so great today. Last time I fished here I caught an eastern slam, lost track of how many fish I caught, and landed a 22" brown.

Water levels were significantly lower (like almost 2 feet) and the water was much slower. It is a delayed harvest section also so I imagine it has been hit hard since June.

I got skunked on trout. Saw many fish feeding in the stream but upon closer inspection they were chubs. I caught one decent chub, and then doubled on a redeye bass and a juvenile bass of some sort. I'm not sure if it's a redeye or smallmouth. Kind of cool catching two fish at once.

We went to downtown Asheville afterwards, had some lunch and headed home. Fun day!

Last edited by PaulRicciardi on 22 Jul 2017, 14:53, edited 1 time in total.

Re: NC day trip
Post 22 Jul 2017, 14:29 • #2 
Guide
https://youtu.be/zk6nQNZCRDs

Also cool little time lapse video Tiffany made

Post 22 Jul 2017, 15:19 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
The fish on the left looks like a rock bass,the Rodney Dangerfield of the sunfish family.Personally,I dont mind catching these guys at all. :)

Post 22 Jul 2017, 16:05 • #4 
Guide
You are right I believe, I forgot about those, don't see them much in SC. Used to catch them as a kid in CT.

Post 22 Jul 2017, 19:12 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Stonefly wrote:
The fish on the left looks like a rock bass,the Rodney Dangerfield of the sunfish family.Personally,I dont mind catching these guys at all. :)

I agree they are fun. They are very abundant in the creeks around here. Paul, we were in Asheville last spring and really had a great time. Nice area around there.

Post 22 Jul 2017, 20:56 • #6 
Sport
Thing about Rock Bass is they fool you twice. First when they hit and take off you think it's a bigger fish than it is. Then, it quits so quick and just sort of swims along with line as you pull it in that you think it's smaller than what it turns out to be.

Post 23 Jul 2017, 04:16 • #7 
Master Guide
Rock bass on the left, juvenile smallmouth on the right. The stream reminds me of Shelton Laurel Delayed Harvest.

BB

Post 23 Jul 2017, 06:37 • #8 
Guide
I remember as a kid my uncle used to call them rocky the rock bass and do his best Sylvester Stallone impression. Fun.

Bassman, you're correct when I first hooked him I thought I was into something decent. Then a second later he was at my feet.

BB you're in the right area!

Post 23 Jul 2017, 19:24 • #9 
Master Guide
PaulRicciardi wrote:
I remember as a kid my uncle used to call them rocky the rock bass and do his best Sylvester Stallone impression. Fun.

Bassman, you're correct when I first hooked him I thought I was into something decent. Then a second later he was at my feet.

BB you're in the right area!

I thought I recognized that boulder in the first photo. I live about 45 min. from there.

BB

Post 23 Jul 2017, 19:30 • #10 
Guide
If you ever want a fishing buddy let me know, have rod will travel!

Post 23 Jul 2017, 21:01 • #11 
Master Guide
Nice. If that smallie is anything like the smallies up here, he fought just as hard as the rock bass.

New Topic Add Reply