It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:08

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 22 Jul 2017, 09:40 • #1 
Guide
I fished with a few good friends this week on a stunning small stream deep in the mountains. Despite the upper 90s heat wave we've had for the last couple of weeks, this stream, along with its numerous feeders, was flowing strong with water temps in the low 60s. We were blessed to find a place like this during the peak of summer where we could chase wild trout without fear of stressing them in hot skinny water.

Hardwood canopies, laurel overhangs, small plunge pools and pockets, along with a moderately strenuous hike must keep fishers away. We didn't see any others fishing nor did we see very much evidence of anyone being on this stretch of water in the recent past. Despite (or maybe thanks to) the casting challenges and the hike, we were rewarded with many many eager wild trout hitting dries throughout the entire day. Rainbows and brooks were the predominant species. However one lucky member of this forum (not me) ended up earning an eastern slam after his first fish turned out to be a brown. That was some serious Shiznit.

All of us fished C. Barclay rods ranging from the 64P up to a new 7.4 progressive. It's been said often before but these rods were just the ticket for the technical casting required. My 64P put casts into some perfect spots, almost as if it knew by itself how to make up for my casting deficiencies. My biggest fish came from a deep pool under a massive mountain laurel that almost touched the water. I doubt I could have made the cast with other rods I own. That fish slammed my fly, dove deep, then, being a rainbow, leapt from the water as they like to do and promptly tangled himself in the laurel. I've had plenty of fish wrap me up in subsurface roots and limbs but I'd never fought a fish in the canopy of a tree before. Wish I'd been wearing my GoPro to capture that.

We fished upstream for several miles enjoying the fishing the scenery and the wildlife, including great birds, several snakes (king snakes and a northern water snake), salamanders, crawdads and the numerous other critters that inhabit rocky streams. We also had a nice relaxing streamside lunch, though no one but me and the dog appreciated the smoked oysters in a can...

Some caddis and maybe a few other insects were hatching but the fish weren't particularly selective in terms of patterns. Smaller flies produced better than larger ones today but we caught fish on ants, hippy stompers, purple Adams and a Mr Rapidan. Trout seemed to be in every place they should be. It was really fun picking out tiny little pockets and hooking up in most of them. Obviously there are a lot of fish in this stream and they don't get pressured much. We were lucky to hit them just right on a beautiful day and I can't wait to make another trip to visit them again soon.

Cheers.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Post 22 Jul 2017, 11:08 • #2 
Master Guide
looks like a ton of fun! thanks for sharing...

Post 22 Jul 2017, 11:16 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like you had a great day. Thanks for sharing.

Post 22 Jul 2017, 11:33 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
The fish in the tree had me laughing out loud. Sounds like a most excellent day.

Post 22 Jul 2017, 12:58 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
No picture of the dog??

Post 22 Jul 2017, 13:37 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
My type of fishing........aurelio

Post 22 Jul 2017, 13:42 • #7 
Guide
+1 on no dog pics?

Post 22 Jul 2017, 13:55 • #8 
Guide
You're right. I should have posted pics of the dog. She happens to be pretty famous, at least in fiberglass fly fishing circles. I hadn't yet spoken to her owner/agent before posting this report and didn't want to out them without a heads up to him first.

I bet the owner/agent/trout slam winner will post some pics soon. When that happens, it's likely most of you will know and/or recognize this famous fishing dog. She really is a wonderful fishing companion and also a true connoisseur of gourmet stream side lunch vittles.

Post 22 Jul 2017, 14:05 • #9 
Guide
Oh what the heck. Here are a couple of shots with the dog in them. A family shot and one of her owner playing small stream trout ninja.
ImageImage

Post 22 Jul 2017, 14:11 • #10 
Guide
Looks great, minus the snake. Beautiful fish, "hey man where did you catch that one?" "Oh in a tree"

Post 22 Jul 2017, 15:07 • #11 
Guide
Stella ???

Post 22 Jul 2017, 16:45 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
GordonS wrote:
You're right. I should have posted pics of the dog. She happens to be pretty famous, at least in fiberglass fly fishing circles. I hadn't yet spoken to her owner/agent before posting this report and didn't want to out them without a heads up to him first.

If you see the famous out in public space, I think they're fair game for a pic.

A Stella(r) day indeed.

Post 22 Jul 2017, 16:55 • #13 
Guide
I feel so paparazzi-ish.

Post 22 Jul 2017, 18:37 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I think Stella is a reincarnated fishing god, and almost as famous as her "owner"... Chris, who owns who? :D

Post 22 Jul 2017, 19:48 • #15 
Master Guide
As many flies as most of us have fed the trees, seems only fair to finally catch a fish in one ;)

Post 23 Jul 2017, 14:40 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
Yup, that was another wonderful day of fishing! I'll see if I can add some pictures later this evening.
Thanks for posting Gordon!

Post 23 Jul 2017, 18:32 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a lot of fun Gordon. How are you liking the Approach Genesis reel? I noticed you were using it that day. I've used mine a couple of times and like it.

Larry

Post 23 Jul 2017, 21:41 • #18 
Master Guide
Thanks for the post, pictures of fish, stream and equipment. Really enjoy reading about the thrills of brookie fishing.

Post 25 Jul 2017, 15:31 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
Here are a few pictures and words from my perspective...
My 9 year old son was along for the trip. More for the exploring than anything else. Creeks are fantastic teachers!

He also proved himself as a great gillie too.

As Gordon mentioned, I was able to catch a Blue Ridge Slam and it was the first time fishing a new prototype rod I've been working on.

Here's Gordon roll casting his way to glory. And brook trout.

It was another awesome day.

Post 25 Jul 2017, 16:06 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
I only have one question.... Gordon, WHY ARE YOU WEARING WADERS??? I bet you were roasting! Wet wading is the way to go in the summer time my friend ;-)

Post 25 Jul 2017, 16:13 • #21 
Glass Fanatic
JoeFriday wrote:
The fish in the tree had me laughing out loud. Sounds like a most excellent day.

The same thing happens to Norman in A River Runs through It, except he doesn't catch it and it just disappears. It's a great comic moment, and it inspires one of the best lines in the novel:

"I thought I had fished the hole perfectly and just the way my brother had taught me, except he hadn’t told me what to do when a fish goes up a tree. That’s one trouble with hanging around a master—you pick up some of his stuff, like how to cast into a bush, but you use it just when the master is doing the opposite" (45).

Thanks for the report and the photos--excellent all around.

Post 25 Jul 2017, 16:13 • #22 
Guide
Snakes.

Post 25 Jul 2017, 16:17 • #23 
Glass Fanatic
Nice!

Post 25 Jul 2017, 18:10 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
horsehead wrote:
I only have one question.... Gordon, WHY ARE YOU WEARING WADERS??? I bet you were roasting! Wet wading is the way to go in the summer time my friend ;-)

I tell you, I was sweating more than he was! Those old Simms he's wearing are truly breathable, unlike the modern ones.

GordonS wrote:
Snakes.
For real!

Post 25 Jul 2017, 18:15 • #25 
Master Guide
Wild trout in wild places. Gotta love it.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply