It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 04:57

New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Jul 2017, 13:55 • #1 
Guide
This issue comes up from time to time and I've seen various ideas offered up from heat guns to "let it be". I can't speak to the other solutions because I've never tried them, although I have some pretty bent tubes. But recently on a family vacation I stumbled on one that is easy, positively works, and gives laziness a good name. Direct sun and high temps are key; It was 100-105 where we were and the sun was intense, part of the reason I found myself with extra time on one hand and a beer in the other. I simply found a straight section of hand rail in the sun and strapped the tube to it flat, forcing the bend out. This particular tube had a compound bend and needed straightening on two sides. For each side I left it the sun for a few (3-4?) hours (kind of forgot about it really). The triangle shape works perfectly to keep the tube from rolling while you are strapping it flat. I thought a couple decades of memory might make it spring back, but it seems to be a permanent fix. At least, it has stayed flat for the last two weeks.

Hope this helps someone else.

Post 18 Jul 2017, 16:07 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Great easy fix it seems sticknhook! Thanks for sharing your successful method.

Post 18 Jul 2017, 18:29 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
That's brilliant. Definitely needs a beer in one hand, though.

Post 18 Jul 2017, 19:02 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Great Job ! Now, can you come up for a solution to the "cracked end cap hinge problem" ?

Pecos

Post 19 Jul 2017, 04:52 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Ha ! Plastic stress relief is a good enterprise for a hot day. The beer may not be necessary, but it might have helped. I would be checking if the deck rail is still straight. If only Fenwick had those tubes made all crookedy to begin with, they would all be straight by now and we would have nothing to do with the beer on the deck. Good thing you have more wavy tubes for the next heatwave. There aren't that many more out there--more than the caps, but still not that many.

Post 21 Jul 2017, 23:48 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I have a Fenwick tube which is straight and the cap is still attached. Really. I'm not making this up. OK, the plaid sock stinks of mildew.

Post 22 Jul 2017, 17:55 • #7 
Guide
Yes, I find myself now in the strange position of lamenting how few bent tubes I have left, only a six-pack's worth or so! For the caps, I'm thinking bead chain as in the System tubes, among others. That might require a really slow evening and some rye...

New Topic Add Reply