It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 03:36

New Topic Add Reply
Post 17 Jul 2017, 10:56 • #1 
I'm trying to figure out what I can do with a glass 3wt here in South Florida (no boat, just from land). Most of our fishing is bass, bream, peacock, and smaller cichlids in freshwater canals. I've caught all of those on a cheap 3wt graphite rod, which didn't have a problem throwing little poppers, size 12 buggers, and small terrestrials. For salt, if I could get a 20# shock tippet onto a fly small enough for a 3wt, I think I could probably land small jacks, snapper, houndfish, etc. Don't know if that's possible tho.

Here's my question: if I were to go with a glass 3wt, would my ability to throw bigger flies be better or worse than a graphite 3wt? When I was researching my graphite 3wt, lots of people told me anything other than dry flies would be too much for it. So if I'm pushing right up on the limits of a 3wt, I'm wondering if going to a fiberglass would put me over, or if I'd get a bit more margin? I'd assume that, given people seem to overline fly rods more than graphite rods, I'd get more margin. But you know what they say about assumptions.

Post 17 Jul 2017, 11:29 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Probably slightly better margin but line size usually dictates fly size... glass would give you better fish playing ability from flexibility and durability standpoints.

Post 17 Jul 2017, 19:55 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
It will vary from rod to rod, of course, but I don't think you will see much difference in terms of size of flies. I can, with some of my glass 3 weights, throw heavier flies, but we are talking big loops and short distances and I don't enjoy it very much.

It is a lot easier to upline a glass 3 wt to a 4 wt than it is with graphite if that would figure into the equation. Glass will definitely give you an edge playing a fish.

Post 17 Jul 2017, 21:20 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
To me, glass has such a fun factor when playing fish that graphite largely lacks, that I don't see the point in ultralight glass except for the tiniest of fish. I've caught average bluegill and redbreast on my Epic 686 that are still incredibly fun. I think the beauty of glass is you can go up to a more enjoyable line weight for casting (like a 5, 6, or 7) and not lose the fish on fun of a much lighter rod.

Last edited by horsehead on 18 Jul 2017, 07:10, edited 1 time in total.

Post 18 Jul 2017, 05:02 • #5 
Administrator
Over line it and have a great time.

Post 20 Jul 2017, 17:16 • #6 
Sport
I grew up fishing the canals around Miami and used a 6wt exclusively. Since "discovering" fiberglass six years ago I usually fish a 5wt, most recently an 8'6" ********* Glass rod. I do take it on the boat as well for the times when the wind allows.

Post 23 Jul 2017, 21:59 • #7 
Master Guide
Well said horsehead!

New Topic Add Reply