It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:38

New Topic Add Reply
Post 01 Jul 2017, 00:17 • #1 
Master Guide
So... After a long, wet (snowy) California winter, followed by lots of family-not-fishing activities this spring, I FINALLY got out to play on the river a bit. I had part of a day today, so I headed up to Caples Creek, a medium altitude (for the Sierra Nevada) creek that is a quick drive for me. Caples and the Silver Fork of the American River combine, then head down to the South Fork of the American river. There are a couple of campgrounds on the Silver Fork that receive planters every year, but I like wild trout (even if they're little), so I drove to where the Silver Fork leaves the road and hiked about a mile up.

The water was much higher than I have seen it for the last five years, and stretches were reconfigured by heavy runoff from this year's near-record snowfall. Caples Creek gets more "fishy" with more water, so it was fun to scope out new holes. The weather was warm, but the water was cold. I forgot my stream thermometer, but my aching feet told me that the water might be a little too cold for the fish to be very active.

I had my favorite blue-line rig, a Scott F754, Orvis (Hardy) CFO, and an English fishing bag over my shoulder. Every year I when the season starts for me I marvel at the tiny hook eyes of smaller patterns, and I wonder how in the heck I'm going to get my tippet through that tiny hole. Later, I had to ask myself several times: were my eyes playing tricks on me, or was that a shadow that came up and then went down? It's all part of getting started again after a hiatus...

It took a while, but I found a couple of spots where the fish were looking up. Once I settled in, I was rewarded with solid grabs and a landed rainbow. Toward the end of my time, in a slow section, a fish came up to eye my fly only about 8' from me. It drifted along with the fly for a count of 1... 2... 3..., then..., "nope", and headed back down to the bottom. I'll bet if I had twitched my fly that fish would have hit it.

Next time...

Bridge over Caples Creek

Fishy spot yielded grabs and a trout

Happy fisherman

Snow Plants tucked into the wood

Post 01 Jul 2017, 07:54 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Luscious scenery !!

Pecos

Post 01 Jul 2017, 08:02 • #3 
Master Guide
Beautiful!

Post 01 Jul 2017, 10:16 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
What a beautiful area.

Post 01 Jul 2017, 11:01 • #5 
Guide
Nice pics and report, thanks for posting. I love those creeks, although it's been a couple of years since my last trip. Great to see that the Sierra streams are approaching manageable levels; one pic shows how the banks got scrubbed. I fished higher up about three weeks ago (West Carson and feeder creeks) and it was completely blown out. Stripping streamers against the banks on a Teeny line was about the only way to present. The peaks around Hope Valley were still under a good blanket of snow, and a couple guys were ice fishing Red Lake!

Post 01 Jul 2017, 15:25 • #6 
Master Guide
Yeah, its gonna be a late season this year. I flew over Desolation Wilderness on my way to the east coast on June 12 and the lakes were still frozen over. There will be some hungry brookies up there when the ice breaks up...

Post 01 Jul 2017, 17:07 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Beautiful What a great spot to fish. Thanks for the pics and the post

Post 02 Jul 2017, 02:30 • #8 
Master Guide
Love your pictures, very pretty water.

Post 09 Jul 2017, 00:19 • #9 
Guide
Don't you just love those Sierra streams???? I checked one out yesterday in the Sierra National Forest southeast of Yosemite around 7,000 feet. Here's Granite Creek.

no fishing for me. water still a bit high, and it wasn't a fishing trip.

eric
fresno, ca.

Post 09 Jul 2017, 03:41 • #10 
Guide
Excellent report. Glad you got out to fish ia bit. I can totally relate to the hook eyes getting smaller and the mind playing tricks with shadows.

You could have placed yourself in your photo of the river and it would have been reminiscent of one of those classic oil paintings of fly fishing in the past.

Cheers.

Post 09 Jul 2017, 14:46 • #11 
Caples Creek....that's a little fishery that I have not heard mentioned since the early nineties. Glad to see she has good water coursing through her veins once again.

I always thought she was one of the prettiest creeks to fish on the west side.

Thanks for your TR,

Regards from Idaho,

Jeff

Post 10 Jul 2017, 11:34 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
I have Fenwick FF90 that belonged to a Forest Ranger in the Sierras. I have never fished there...it may be time to get that rod back to its homeland

Post 17 Jul 2017, 06:10 • #13 
Sport
How did you find the fishing in the south fork to be? I've been working on the landslide/highway repair job at Bridalveil Falls for a couple of months and been watching the river below. Totally blown out and up in the trees until about 2 weeks ago, now starting to show some signs of promise. Where it was raging whitewater there are now nice pools forming and some safe looking places where a guy could fish some nice looking seams, but things are still moving pretty good and looks like you'd have to cautiously pick your way along. Haven't been up higher than Icehouse road though.

Post 22 Jul 2017, 14:15 • #14 
Master Guide
I haven't fished the south fork itself -- I tend to like fishing the headwaters creeks like Caples and the Silver Fork and others that feed the South Fork. I've been up 50 probably 4 times in the last 3 weeks and it still looked pretty high last weekend. I did see a few fly fishermen at pull-outs below Kyburz, so people are getting out there...

New Topic Add Reply