It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:12

New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Jun 2017, 11:34 • #1 
Sport
I originally bought this rod for streamers and hoppers. At first, I couldn't understand the rave reviews for this rod...sure, it was fun, but not quite what I expected after reading the forums here. I have come to the conclusion that I don't like this rod at all for fishing hoppers or streamers (unless they're a size 8-10 without much weight). I really don't think it has the power for these flies and, contrary to popular opinion, it fishes like a five weight. I think this rod REALLY shines as a dry fly rod, with flies in the 10-18 range. Caddis, BWO's, small terrestrials and attractors, etc. Last night, I fully realized the potential of this rod after owning it for a year and a half while fishing a caddis and yellow sally emergence on the Madison. One small dry fly makes this rod sing! For what it's worth, I've used Cortland WF 6 wt and SA Aircel 6 wt lines on this rod and the Aircel is my favorite.

Anyone else agree?

Post 23 Jun 2017, 18:01 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
No, not at all. I think it's a very solid 6wt. I think it can handle small streamers but not much more than size 8, maybe size 6 with no weight. I think it has to do with expectations. If you are used to underlined 6wt graphite rods that are really 7wt or 8wt rods, it probably doesn't seem to meet up with that kind of power. My son has a Steffen 8.5' 5/6 2pc and it's a 6wt in my hands, no doubt. It is lovely, extremely capable, and yes powerful 6wt in my opinion. If you think it's a 5wt, then your expectations should be for what a 5wt can do which isn't the kind of flies you say you want to cast with it. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think graphite 6wts should be much different. But things sure have changed with what a 6wt should be expected to do. A 6wt should be able to do small streamers but also do dry fly work as a versatile rod. These days, with graphite being way under rated, people think think they should be powerful streamer rods. It's because fly rod companies under rate their rods for marketing reasons. They do it because prospective buyers rate rods now on how far they can cast in the parking lot, now how well they cast certain flies at 30ft. Just look at how Yellowstone Angler rates their rods. They don't even put 5 wt lines on their tested 5wts. They put 5.5 wt lines on them. Why? Because it takes a 5.5 wt line at a minimum to make them bend properly so that you can feel what they are doing. They aren't 5 wt rods any more. They are 5.5wt or 6wt rods at best. They talk around the really stiff rods but rate them lower but even the 5.5 wt rods should be rated lower because they don't do what a 5 wt rod is supposed to do, cast a 5wt line. It's time for us to step back and get real about what rods should do at their rated line wts. This has NOTHING, and I mean NOTHING to do with glass vs. graphite. It has to do with how rods are being rated. The relevance is that the graphite rod market is diseased with this problem, more so than the fiberglass market who is a more educated demographic that understands this issue better.

Post 23 Jun 2017, 19:49 • #3 
Master Guide
I had one and preferred it with a Peach DT5, but I only fished dries and small nymphs in Stillwaters with it.

Post 24 Jun 2017, 00:24 • #4 
Guide
Have had an 8'6" 5/6 for 6 years. Have just fished it with a 5DTF. Does everything I want it to do: #10 streamers, #12-#16 wets, #12-#16 beadheads, #12-#16 dries. Handles rainbows and browns up to 6 pounds on medium streams and lakes. Have never had a 6wt. on it. Don't think the rod is designed to handle large streamers or beadheads.

Post 24 Jun 2017, 19:19 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Listen to that Steffen; it is telling a good and true story.
Many graphite "5" or "6" weight rods will "throw" junk. No 5 or 6 weight fiberglass fly rod--which is designed to cast the line, not throw a cumbersome rig that sometimes tows the line--is for bulky, large, or heavy flies unless to be dangled from the side of a drift boat or splatted around by waving the rod. Otherwise, that is 7 or 8 weight territory. In fly rods, if a rod handles junk well and has a 5 or 6 designation, very good; that indicates it will work for smaller flies, but not with the adeptness and subtlety of a rod designed to cast a 5 or 6 weight line. Like many other 5 and 6 weights, the Steffen is performing as would be expected for a rod designed to cast that line weight range, which is suitable for a certain fly-size, weight/bulk range--about as you described. The line is what is being cast; if the line lacks sufficient weight to carry the fly along for the ride, no change in the rod design--except making it stout enough for a heavier line weight or a longer pole and then calling it something it is not--will change that.

Post 25 Jun 2017, 14:42 • #6 
Master Guide
I'd never get a glass rod to fish streamers. Actually, I wouldn't fish streamers period, but that's beside the point.

Glass for me are dry fly rods.

Post 25 Jun 2017, 14:50 • #7 
Guide
Hi , all !!
I want to take this opportunity to be advised , wich would be the right Steffen ( 3 pices) to cast big streamers ( #6 to # 2 ). In my country trout rivers are usually big water and the wind is always your fellow . I have a nice Orvis Fullflex 8,5 # 8 , that do the job , but is two pices and is too long to carry on plane or even a car .
I had the lucky to bought an Steffen # 4 líne from a forum member and the rod is fantastic , so I have decided my next rod would be another Steffen .

Suggestions ??

Post 25 Jun 2017, 15:17 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
If your throwing large streamers on any 5 or 6 wt rod using a standard 5 or 6 wt line, you'll likely be disappointed. This is where mini skagit heads really shine...not to mention all of the other technique specific lines out there.

Cheers

Post 25 Jun 2017, 15:22 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Tromen wrote:
Hi , all !!
I want to take this opportunity to be advised , wich would be the right Steffen ( 3 pices) to cast big streamers ( #6 to # 2 ). In my country trout rivers are usually big water and the wind is always your fellow . I have a nice Orvis Fullflex 8,5 # 8 , that do the job , but is two pices and is too long to carry on plane or even a car .
I had the lucky to bought an Steffen # 4 líne from a forum member and the rod is fantastic , so I have decided my next rod would be another Steffen .

Suggestions ??

The biggest rod Mark makes now is a 6/7, so I think that's probably your best/only option! And I doubt you'd be disappointed.

Post 25 Jun 2017, 17:14 • #10 
Guide
Thanks Clarckman23 !!
When I fish large streamers I generally use a # 7 Loop graphite fly rod ( 3 pieces ) with floating line or shooting taper . Last summer I fished ( my first time ) a Opst skagit commando head and was very good because I was in a river where I could not cast backward because trees but if I have the choice and have enough space I prefer fishing with WF lines that make better flies presentations .

Regards !

Post 25 Jun 2017, 21:30 • #11 
Master Guide
Creek wrote:
I'd never get a glass rod to fish streamers. Actually, I wouldn't fish streamers period, but that's beside the point.

Glass for me are dry fly rods.

They are great dry fly rods...and nymph rods....and streamer rods. :lol Different strokes I guess.

Post 26 Jun 2017, 06:21 • #12 
Master Guide
Skookum- If you like it with a 5wt that is what the rod is for you and Mark designed it to throw a 5wt line in his (the designers) opinion. Some may prefer it with a 6wt and that is what the rod is to them.

Although I do not own any of Marks rods I have in the past, and they seem to handle both lines equally well for me although I generally preferred them with the lighter line.

My only 6wt glass is a 4pce (can't tell it from the 2pce I owned action wise), a TMR Streamer Special, which handles streamers and junk quite well up to size #6 weighted. I have never tried the rod with a 5 though as the 6wt seems perfect for it.

So I guess in the end the owner determines what or which line they prefer on their specific rod. Taking others advice may not satisfy you. By the way there are a plethora of graphite rods on the market both new and vintage that handle their designated line weights just fine.

New Topic Add Reply