It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:10

New Topic Add Reply
Post 27 May 2017, 10:01 • #1 
Master Guide
Earlier this year I was going through some old fishing boxes that belonged to my dad and found an "Imperial 2 blade fish knife"(these were not great knife/cheap)---in or on the knife there is a scaling blade (for scaling, not very good), but on the end of this scaling blade a hook remover thus the reason for this post. For a long time I have used hemostats to remove hooks (from trout and pan fish) but I find that using hemostats can sometimes crush hackles/feathers and damage a fly, so lately I have been using the above mentioned Imperial knife hook remover and I think there has been less damage to the flies IMHO. A plus is that You also get a bottle opener and a knife (3 in 1).This is not a big deal, but I thought some of you might find it interest.
Gary
PS: If anyone can put a picture of this knife on here, it might explained better

Last edited by midmofly on 30 May 2017, 07:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post 27 May 2017, 13:36 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I had one in arm's reach, and my trusty cellphone "camera" even closer. This is a Colonial, but I think it is the same configuration.

Post 27 May 2017, 14:19 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Yup. The style comes from several makers. Mine is a Stag, made in Ireland. Looks like whrlpool's but with yellow plastic handle scales. Pretty sure Case has one, too. Some have a hook sharpener embedded in the handle.

Post 29 May 2017, 07:41 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
If you can handle it, I think it undoubtedly would do less damage to your fly. Before I began fly fishing, probably 4 decades ago, I used a similar hook remover on panfish when spin fishing. The difficult thing for me was that it was awkward to handle the fish, knife, and line all at the same time. To work well I needed to keep the line tight while dislodging and removing the hook - otherwise the hook would get restuck when trying to pull it out. Might not be as big an issue on a trout with larger mouth.

Post 29 May 2017, 09:20 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I have a small collection of the Imperial single blade has a bottle opener and fish scaler on one blade and colorful celluoid handle made in prov. usa .......aurelio
Also has a fish inlay

Post 19 Jul 2017, 13:14 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
About a year ago, I found a Western (Made in Boulder Colorado) fish knife. The scales were rough but it was cheap, I later found the same knife with a damaged blade on the auction site, and I bought it cheap. I sent both knives to a knife smith and he combined the two knives parts and added ebony scales and sent this back to me.
I love this knife!

Post 19 Jul 2017, 14:01 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Nice! I've heard of the Western company, and that they made some good knives. Enjoy that one.

Post 20 Jul 2017, 20:44 • #8 
Guide
i collect the imperial brand,because i like cheap knives and their providence steel was good and easy to sharpen.i also have some of their irish knives.fun!
i have one of the yellow handle fishing knives.cheap,but practical knife.it's like the wonder rod of knives :)

New Topic Add Reply