It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:49

New Topic Add Reply
The Magic of Midges
Post 23 Apr 2017, 20:18 • #1 
Master Guide
Spent some time on a local still water this afternoon in hope of catching a nice late afternoon midge hatch. With temps almost reaching the 70's I was hoping for a pretty good trip. I really wanted to spend some more time fishing my vintage Bill Franke made L.L. Bean Double 6wt on a fisher blank as well. I know it can handle the big stuff….bout how about some tiny midges?

I arrived around 2 in the afternoon, launched shortly thereafter and pretty much fruitlessly tossed a large variety of streamers on full sink just to pass the time under the sun started to dip. After about my 11th streamer change I finally got a hit….

Well….its a start I guess.

It was getting close by now, the late afternoon warmth from the sun had all but disappeared and I put on another layer and tied on a midge dry/dropper setup consisting of a griffiths gnat and non weighted zebra midge, both size 18.

Right about then, right on cue.

Time to get midgy with it!

In the next couple of hours I proceeded to land close to 40 something fish, including one wild double!

I ended up going through 4 gnats and my 3 remaining zebra midges, all of which were either broken off or just simply eaten to bits. A very good problem to have!

Digging through my box I saw a couple flies that I saw tied on someones Instagram account over the winter. I hurriedly had tied a few up before I forgot what they looked like.

Would it serve?

Guess so!

By now it was time to wrap things up and head home. I was quite impressed by my rods ability to chuck the big stuff yet be able to fish midges quite effectively as well. That thing casts smooth as butter! Well….I guess I better tie up some more midges!

Re: The Magic of Midges
Post 23 Apr 2017, 20:22 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Great photos. The zebra midge is hard to beat. That's a really nice brookie in particular. Good stuff.

Post 23 Apr 2017, 21:02 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a great Spring day!

Post 24 Apr 2017, 00:48 • #4 
Sport
Looks like a great afternoon on the water. Can't wait to get out with some midges on my local stillwaters.

Post 24 Apr 2017, 02:35 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Great report. The little laker is very pretty.

Post 24 Apr 2017, 05:26 • #6 
Master Guide
Very nice! Great pics!

Post 24 Apr 2017, 06:42 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Awesome

Post 24 Apr 2017, 07:42 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
How deep did you run that dropper? I've also found an unweighted zebra midge to be very useful, and the most productive days are when it is on a short dropper near the surface. Once I replaced the dry with an orange indicator and the fish vanished, but they seem to really like the zebra- griffiths combo.

Wonderful pictures, and old Mr. Leon Leonwood Bean would have been thrilled to see his rod still doing such great fishing!

Post 24 Apr 2017, 09:08 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
KOOL!

Post 24 Apr 2017, 09:20 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
Is your post title alluding to the book "Midge Magic "? Great book. I refer to it often. Holbrook's patterns are deadly.

Post 24 Apr 2017, 09:53 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Great pics...and a great day on the water. Congrats and thanks for sharing

Post 24 Apr 2017, 11:01 • #12 
Master Guide
dustdog12 wrote:
Great report. The little laker is very pretty.

Thanks, but there are no lakers present here. Only brookies and a scattering of rainbows.

Post 24 Apr 2017, 11:04 • #13 
Master Guide
Newfydog wrote:
How deep did you run that dropper? I've also found an unweighted zebra midge to be very useful, and the most productive days are when it is on a short dropper near the surface. Once I replaced the dry with an orange indicator and the fish vanished, but they seem to really like the zebra- griffiths combo.

Wonderful pictures, and old Mr. Leon Leonwood Bean would have been thrilled to see his rod still doing such great fishing!

About 12-15 inches behind. I just chuck it out there, they sometimes hit the dry with a flying leap, if not I just slowly strip it in. They almost always take the dropper on the pause so I have to keep a close eye on my line for any sort of movement…even then I still miss a lot.

Post 24 Apr 2017, 11:05 • #14 
Master Guide
scud dog wrote:
Is your post title alluding to the book "Midge Magic "? Great book. I refer to it often. Holbrook's patterns are deadly.

Nope sorry, just a coincidence. I will have to check that book out now that you mention it though.

Post 27 Apr 2017, 07:43 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Great report!

Post 28 Apr 2017, 02:00 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
looks like a fantastic outing! thanks for sharing!

Post 29 Apr 2017, 06:50 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Super pics. This inspired me to tie some Griffith's Gnats. The Orvis video was really helpful. Now for a few zebra midges ...

New Topic Add Reply