It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 07:41

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply
Re: Maxcatch
Post 29 Aug 2017, 14:11 • #51 
Sport
To answer your question, yes all of the Hawaiian Islands have bonefish. However, not all of the islands have areas (ie large flats) that allow for typical sightfishing for bonefish. Depending what island you are on the bonefish may be in deeper water, cruise rock shoreline, off of steep sloping beaches. The islands that most folks target flyfishing for bonefish are Oahu, Molokai, some small spots on Maui, Kauai and Big Island (Hawaii). Hope that helps.
Dean

Post 29 Aug 2017, 15:44 • #52 
Master Guide
Dean-

I've never fished for bonefish (or even in saltwater). You're using ambush 5f fly line on the flats? Are you casting overhead or using singlehand spey casts? I hate compact head lines i.e. ambush, rio OBS, etc, because i can't get a good presentation. I only use them if I am throwing a very heavy fly and have no room to backcast.

Obviously your rig works. I am assuming bonefish are pretty spooky so your presentation must be decent. When I cast those lines everything lands in a pile and makes a big splash. You have me re-thinking some things.

Post 29 Aug 2017, 17:49 • #53 
Sport
I have been fishing with the ambush fly lines for most of the my switch rods be it graphite, bamboo, and lately fiberglass. I'll be honest it's not the ideal line if you want to make quiet presentations but if I really want to make the line land softly I can. With this Maxcatch fiberglass rod I have been trying to teach myself how to single hand spey fish mainly but I fish it with two hand spey casts and when a sightfishing opportunity presents itself I fish it single handed. Line works good in wind and for casting heavier flies. Many times i'll just walk the beach and do my spey casts to avoid catching the unsuspecting beachgoer while fishing for small trevally.

On another side note if you think the 5wt fiberglass is fun you should try the ultra-light panfish rod. Now that rod is a blast. The 5 wt ambush is a little too heavy but I'm waiting on a lighter ambush to come in for that rod. I haven't hooked a big bonefish on it but got couple smaller ones.
Dean

Post 29 Aug 2017, 17:59 • #54 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for the info Dean! Hope to get there someday!

Post 29 Aug 2017, 19:39 • #55 
Glass Fanatic
Back to the 7' 3wt, I've fished it a couple of more times and hook set issues went away with a little more experience with the rod.

I've tried/built a couple of 7 foot 3 weights in the past and hadn't been happy. This probably isn't the best, but it does fairly well and I'll be happy to fish it until something better comes along.

Post 02 Oct 2017, 19:01 • #56 
Master Guide
Thanks for the info and reviews. Just bought the orange 8’ 5 wgt.

Post 03 Oct 2017, 08:44 • #57 
Master Guide
Nice blog post. Thanks. I watched your video too. It’s what sold me. I’m a sucker for good budget rods.

Post 03 Oct 2017, 08:54 • #58 
Thanks, pal! Since then, I've fished it a bunch more, and wrote a dedicated review for it. Here's the link.

Maxcatch Ultraglass 7' 3wt Fiberglass Fly Rod Review

Post 03 Oct 2017, 15:21 • #59 
Master Guide
Great info on the link. Good review. I used to chase Brookies and Bows with a KMart spinning rod back in the 80’s. So I like budget rods. What was that Fly in the video?

Post 04 Oct 2017, 05:46 • #60 
It's a size 10 mickey finn. Works incredibly well on peacock bass.

Post 04 Oct 2017, 08:20 • #61 
Master Guide
alansb1982 wrote:
It's a size 10 mickey finn. Works incredibly well on peacock bass.

[WINKING FACE]

Post 04 Oct 2017, 13:37 • #62 
Sport
Anyone try the 4WT 5pc yet

Post 05 Oct 2017, 00:20 • #63 
Glass Fanatic
Looks like a copy of the Epic Packlight.

Post 05 Oct 2017, 06:27 • #64 
Guide
"Looks like a copy of the Epic Packlight."

I really hope it is, at $95.
I have just ordered one: will report back after next weekend

Post 05 Oct 2017, 20:41 • #65 
Glass Fanatic
I do love my Epic 476 (4 piece, before the Packlight came out). I am curious to hear how they compare. This could be a good backup rod or entry-level one for new anglers.

Post 08 Oct 2017, 22:44 • #66 
Sport
Interesting read always wondered about these rods

Post 12 Oct 2017, 06:56 • #67 
Guide
Just received the 7ft 6” 5-piece: my first impressions are postive:
Rod comes in a slightly oversize cordura tube and a cloth rod sack. Without the tube the rod sack measures about 19”; in the tube the rod (just) fits diagonally in my airline carry-on rollabord: result!.
The build quality is varied: nice translucent wrapped snake rings and a single stripper ring. Really good quality cork, but the down-locking sliding band is generic and perhaps not the highest quality. The male ferules are unfinished and hollow: no spigots or filling of the blank. The female ferules overlap 1.25-1.5 inches; you can see this because the blank is pretty translucent.
In the hand, the rod feels light and fast: perhaps not distinctly different from an older graphite rod, a perception accentuated by the relatively narrow butt section diameter. It certainly does not feel like my previous glass rod: a Hardy Fibalite Perfection, which felt smooth, but flexed all the way down the blank to the butt with even a modest loading and casting stroke.
I put on the 4-weight reel and line I had available: an Orvis Battenkill Disc 3/4 with a WF-4F line, which weighs 148g/5.2oz. This reel is, frankly, slightly small/light for the rod: the point of balance is about half an inch back from the front of the butt, but not on the blank itself; I think I will try with a Battenkill 5/6 next time.
I should get the opportunity to cast and fish it tomorrow; I have a 5-weight line to try as well.

Post 12 Oct 2017, 07:00 • #68 
Kinda goes without saying, but we would be super pumped to see some pictures!

Post 12 Oct 2017, 22:29 • #69 
Glass Fanatic
I see they are now offering a 9' 4 piece 8 weight. The 8 weight does have spigot ferrules rather than tip over butt as on the 5 piece 4 weight. Looks like Maxcatch is trying to cover all bases. I'm just waiting for the 6' 2 weight now. :)

Larry

Post 13 Oct 2017, 00:46 • #70 
Sport
Had a white one. Its definitely not a WF3 but a DT3/WF4.
Very thick butt compared to the thin tips. Causes lots of line bounce as too much force goes into the tip. And no I am not a fast caster, I fish cane.

Having said that its an absolutely incredible value with good cork, a nice if of course way too heavy and too big reel seat (that would be an easy fix for them right?), good windings etc.

A value that is unbeaten as far as I know. Will think about the 4pc 5 weight...

Post 16 Oct 2017, 16:36 • #71 
Master Guide
Received the 5 wgt. Feels similar to the 5/6 CGR on the lawn cast.

Only complaint is adhesive inside the blank which is more visible in the sun.

The same quality handle as the CGR, CGt, etc. Nice looking reel seat and hardware.

For $55 and waiting for ages to receive it, I’m cool with it but gotta take it out and give it the true test.

I wouldn’t pay more than what I did. Wouldn’t pay what they are charging now.

Post 16 Oct 2017, 18:55 • #72 
Master Guide
And tip heavy.

Post 22 Nov 2017, 10:37 • #73 
Glass Fanatic
A while back I noticed the 5 piece 7'6" 4wt for 50% off on the maxcatch website ($49), so I figured why not. The rod arrived and was just as pictured. Apparently these are S-glass instead of the usual E-glass. The description says spigot ferrules, but they appear to be the usual kind, much like my other s-glass rods (Orvis, Fenglass, Echo). I tried it out at the casting pools a few times, and while it will cast a 4wt line I thought it was better with a 5wt.

I managed to fish it at a small pond over the weekend.

It doesn't hold a candle to my Orvis Superfine Glass 4wt, but should make a good rod for carrying on my mountain bike. The pieces fit into a T12 fluorescent tube protector handily.

Post 26 Nov 2017, 12:32 • #74 
Glass Fanatic
I wonder if Maxcatch would give free rods in exchange for some editing?

Post 26 Nov 2017, 14:26 • #75 
Guide
Newfydog wrote:
I wonder if Maxcatch would give free rods in exchange for some editing?

Ha! I've wondered the same thing!

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next New Topic Add Reply