It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 18:41

New Topic Add Reply
OPST Commando Heads
Post 18 Jan 2017, 10:12 • #1 
Guide
Hey everyone. I ordered an OPST 150 grain head and 25lb Lazar line for some of my lighter and shorter glass rods. I want to try it on my Barclay 64p. The manufacturer advises 175 gr for 4 weights but from reading some previous posts they claim 175 maybe too heavy. I'm hoping to use this on my ff605 and garcia lil beaverkill 4/5 wt as well and on some other light weight glass rods i've built. Any insight on how these OPST heads have worked on your glass rods would be appreciated. Are they on point with the manufacturer's recommendations in relation to glass etc. I am also interested on what leader or tips you have used. I ordered a 5' floating polyleader so far. Thanks.

Re: OPST Commando Heads
Post 18 Jan 2017, 10:16 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I've only used the 200gr on my Epic 686. It works well. I use Berkley big game mono though as I couldn't justify the cost of the lazar line and Ed says in one video that he used Berkley for years... I'll be very interested to hear how it does on the 64p!

Post 18 Jan 2017, 11:25 • #3 
Master Guide
Go lighter with glass - I would go with a 150 personally. OPST is basing recomendations typically for fast action graphite rods.

Post 18 Jan 2017, 11:59 • #4 
Master Guide
If your able to compare your rod to the echo glass series, here's the recommendations specific to that series

ECHO GLASS
263-3. 150gr
369-3. 150gr
474-3. 175gr
5710-3. 175gr

Post 18 Jan 2017, 12:07 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I love them. I don't have any yet for my lighter rods, but for my Steffen 7/8, I ended up with a 300 and it really sings. When I play with shooting heads on all my glass rods, I do tend to go on the lighter side. If it were me, I'd hold off until I had a chance to play with the 150 on it before grabbing anything else. The nice thing is, and this is a recurring theme on here, that glass has such a wide grain window on what works & once you figure out exactly which works best for you, all the stars align...

Post 18 Jan 2017, 20:06 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I use the 150 on my Steffen 8' 4/5 and really like it - definitely wouldn't want heavier. I routinely use 2 sizes under the OPST recommendations for my glass SH rods. I don't know the Barclay rod (other than by reputation), from my experience I wouldn't go above the 150 for it. I find the 150 too heavy for my Epic 376, so I use a medium MOW tip as a skagit head.

And yeah, the short polyleaders are the way to go with the 150. The light MOWs are too long and heavy. Also, the 5' OPST tips are supposed to come out in the next couple of months.

Post 18 Jan 2017, 20:31 • #7 
Guide
Thank you sir!!! Thanks everyone for the insight. I'm eager to see how they work.

Post 19 Jan 2017, 08:12 • #8 
Guide
Hey Brockton on your Steffen using the 150 how big of flies have you been comfortable using if i might ask?

Post 19 Jan 2017, 09:47 • #9 
Master Guide
I would go with the 150 grain for the Barclay 64p.

Post 19 Jan 2017, 10:21 • #10 
Guide
thanks sage. i saw your post on opst on the 75p correct?

Post 19 Jan 2017, 10:47 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
pye1982 wrote:
Hey Brockton on your Steffen using the 150 how big of flies have you been comfortable using if i might ask?

I've certainly used Clousers up to about 2 inches and it pulls them out of the water just fine, but I don't think I've pushed the limits yet. Havent had the opportunity.

Post 19 Jan 2017, 11:36 • #12 
Master Guide
I'll second the recommendation of trying a Rio MOW tip as a short Skagit type head. They're consistent length - 10' - and they're consistent weight. I tried a MOW Heavy on one of my 4 weights and it casts very well. Certainly needs some sort of tip because the MOW tips have little taper to them - basically enough to allow for a loop connection on the ends - so a MOW tip + a polyleader or versileader would make a good combo. If you're swinging flies - I'd say an Intermediate MOW coupled with one of the fast sinking versileader or polyleaders would be a good combination. I've not fished this setup much, just played around with casting, and didn't try to push limits on fly size. I will say - if you use the MOW tip - you almost HAVE to use mono running line - coated running lines are just going to be too much for the short, light head to pull much of. I used 25lb Berkley with my experiments and it shoots very well. I don't think a 2 or 3 inch long clouser or deceiver would be too much for this combo at all.

If you shop around - MOW tips can be had on sale for $15 a piece, allowing you to have a range of short shooting heads from floaters to stuff that sinks like a rock - if you're fishing smaller water - I think a full floater and intermediates would be all you need - no need to mess around with the combined float/sink or intermediate/fast sink portions. For still waters I'd probably go ahead and get one of the full sink versions to boot.

If you're using short rods, the short length of the head shouldn't be much of an issue if you're using sustained anchor methods. If you're doing more of a Scandi underhand cast, you'd be well served by running a long tapered monofilament leader instead of the polyleaders which would no doubt give too much line stick with this setup - or you can just aerialize the cast, and the short length of the MOW plus it's weight really allows for a quick point & shoot type cast.

Post 19 Jan 2017, 11:43 • #13 
Guide
Thanks man that's some great info there. i appreciate that!!!

Post 19 Jan 2017, 12:02 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
Following mmckenzie's running line comments - I agree about the mono vs coated line distance issue, except that anywhere I'd plan on fishing the setup in question would be small enough that I dont think shooting line would be much of an issue, and I vastly prefer having a coated running line for stripping streamers.

Post 19 Jan 2017, 20:36 • #15 
Guide
https://raspberryfisher.wordpress.com/2 ... dh-update/

I found with the James Green Rod, it had a wide range, and I suspect you will find the same. In this testing and fooling around, I played with running lines too, and though I had lazer lines and varavis (spelling?) on for some time, I returned to coated running line for handling of the line and streamer once the fly was out. I decided line control was more important than distance.

Post 26 Jan 2017, 15:00 • #16 
Sport
I know this is about OPST but have any of you guys tried the Rio Skagit heads which seem to be a couple of feet shorter in length but overall very similar and also about $15 cheaper per head.

Post 26 Jan 2017, 17:08 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I haven't tried them, but only because the local shop doesn't happen to have them. I'm sure they're great and basically the same idea. Airflo now also has a similar model as well, called the Skagit Scout. They're a little bit longer. I suspect all three are pretty much interchangeable, so whichever you can get your hands on...

Post 26 Jan 2017, 22:47 • #18 
Master Guide
I use the Rio Max Short heads which are longer than the commando - the Skagit Trout heads I have not tried. I think the heads are more or less interchangable but your casting stroke and the flies you fish may lend themselves to one version more than the other. Rios are both cheaper and more prevalent in the local shops.

Post 17 Feb 2017, 20:07 • #19 
Guide
Opst commando heads are wonderful. I like them on a rod with a fighting butt. Word of caution, I've broken a fighting butt with repetitive skagit casting over a few months. I had the 25 lb Lazar line and its very nice stuff. But it isn't magic, if you do 30 casts off the same side you'll have some line twist.

Also if you are running big game, or a different mono (I suggest 30 lb amnesia as a budget alternative) you need to change it out at your discretion because it will degrade with UV way faster than Lazar line. I honestally don't know the name for a single cast I do but I get all the distance I need and more with it. I had to rescue my head with a kayak one day... I since started running the 35 lb line.

Post 20 Sep 2018, 03:51 • #20 
Guide
I tried OPST 175 with Echo Glass 486 (8'6" 4wt) and it looks like perfect match

Post 20 Sep 2018, 06:47 • #21 
Master Guide
If the 150 feels right to you it is a good line, but the 175 may be more to your liking though or maybe not, it's and individual thing and can get expensive. Remember the tips add weight too, so you can play around with it until you get that magic feel you prefer. After two years of doing this I still am experimenting with it because I am a newbie with this stuff.
They are not delicate lines though but adding tips smooths things out for me and kind of turns them into modified scandi's. I have also heard of some fishermen turning the line around so they are more delicate, I haven't tried that yet.

Post 20 Sep 2018, 07:08 • #22 
Master Guide
So OPST, Sci Anglers, and RIO all have integrated line setups now, and my preference on a trout spey is moving that direction. I don't like the loop to loops, as they hang up in the guides of some of my rods. I wound up integrating a RIO running line to a 175 grain Commano head for my 3 wt carbon trout spey, works great for what I ask of it. My preferences continue to err toward lighter heads too, going to just heavy enough to turn over the flies and tips I want to fish.

Mono is still the best choice for distance casting, but coated running lines or fully integrated lines are so much easier to handle and no chance to hang up in the guides.

Post 20 Sep 2018, 09:17 • #23 
Master Guide
OPST now offers an integrated running line on their Commando heads, called the Smooth. Costs more than the combined cost of the old Commando and Lazar line.

If you do go with Lazar line, I suggest you go with 35 lb. There is more to hold onto with cold wet hands and the distance cost is minimal. It also resists kinking better.

Heddonist

Post 20 Sep 2018, 13:57 • #24 
Sport
If you have issues with how thin mono running lines are (stripping streamers with wet hands, for example) a great trick I got years ago (Deneki Outdoors blog, I think?) is plumber's rubber splicing tape. Not electrical tape, not neoprene, but rubber splicing tape. Make sure you get the self-fusing kind. A couple wraps of that where you pinch the line against the cork is very helpful.

New Topic Add Reply