It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 06:11

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
local creeks
Post 21 Jun 2016, 11:37 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Some of you might be in colder climates running water with trout streams, and some of us live in areas with warm water and the species which reside there. I wonder how many of us have considered fishing urban waters?
I live in Arlington Texas and prefer to fish the local streams here because they're close and have healthy populations of fish. In the foreground of this photo you can see my friend fishing this water for the first time.
Some of the scenery can be amazing especially closer to the headwaters

Do you have similar little gems in urban settings?

Les

Re: local creeks
Post 21 Jun 2016, 11:56 • #2 
Master Guide
Urban? Not really here in St. Louis. The River Des Peres is akin to a big drainage ditch along the lines of the Los Angeles River. I personally live in the suburbs of STL and we have some decent lakes and streams, though they really don't rival the ones in your pics.

Post 21 Jun 2016, 12:07 • #3 
Guide
Alas, no, so I have to visit vicariously through you fellows.

Post 21 Jun 2016, 12:07 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Some of my favorite fishing is for redbreast sunfish in local waters. I'm definitely not urban though.

Post 21 Jun 2016, 12:34 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
horsehead, cool looking solo canoe! What is it?

Post 21 Jun 2016, 12:39 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Jhuskey
that a Native kayak- my wife has the olive drab version of it. they were actually designed to allow anglers to stand and fish.

Les

Post 21 Jun 2016, 12:44 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks Les, I'll have to check them out.

John

Post 21 Jun 2016, 13:20 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Keebranch is right. That is a Native Ultimate 14.5. It is a fantastic fly fishing vessel.

Post 21 Jun 2016, 14:34 • #9 
Glass Fanatic
Found a dealer about 12 miles from me - not sure what stock boats they have but I'll have to sit my old tired youknow in it to gauge how comfortable it might be. Wish they built a self-propelled boat without losing a foot of bottom clearance - their recumbent bike styled unit is pretty cool looking. Thanks guys!

Post 21 Jun 2016, 14:37 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
John,

You will not find a more comfortable seat than Native's "1st Class Seat". It truly set the standard, changed the game, if you will when it came to kayak seating. Look at all the major brands from Jackson to Hobie to Diablo, etc. etc., they all look roughly the same, and they all are styled after the Native seat which was the first to go in that direction.

Post 21 Jun 2016, 15:11 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
It certainly looks comfortable - good to know and sound like a great solid company with great boats.
Thanks again for all the help!

Post 21 Jun 2016, 21:56 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Les,

What area/stream is the second picture? Looks nice for an evening of fishing.

The southern Grand Prairie area has some nice water in the area but soon to be urban with all the highway development. Mansfield also has some nice walking trails running along some water.

Eric

Post 21 Jun 2016, 22:12 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Eric
These are in far southwest Arlington near Mansfield
I've seen streams in Grand Prairie which I have intended to try. There's a nature preserve in Mansfield I fished too. With all the green belts in this area there are plenty of opportunities.

Let me know if you want to go fishing some time.

Les

Post 21 Jun 2016, 23:10 • #14 
Master Guide

This stream might not be considered urban, but its only 20-25 minutes from Portland. Just perfect for those quick escapes when needed. Sorry about the second picture. It was taken with my phone.

David

Post 23 Jun 2016, 22:29 • #15 
Sport
The majority of my fishing is done on urban water. That's some great looking water!

Post 23 Jun 2016, 22:48 • #16 
Sport
David1971 wrote:

This stream might not be considered urban, but its only 20-25 minutes from Portland. Just perfect for those quick escapes when needed. Sorry about the second picture. It was taken with my phone.

David
That stream could be in Northern Wisconsin if I didn't know any better. Eerily similar.

Post 24 Jun 2016, 10:00 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
We're fortunate in the PACNW that you can still catch a Salmon in many of our urban waters some with the city skyline clearly in view but the salmon population numbers are continuing to drop like a rock throughout the PACNW.

Post 04 Jun 2017, 19:45 • #18 
Master Guide
Reviving this thread because I discovered a local creek a few weeks ago that I never knew about. Its an easy 30 minute drive from here and has some feisty cutthroats. I've lived here my entire life and have never paid any attention to the area this creek runs through, but I will certainly be paying attention this year. I'll be going over maps this evening because I'm guessing there are other creeks in the vicinity. I didn't have the camera today and I left the phone in the car, but I'll get some pictures the next time I go...which will be in the very near future. Finding a new creek makes me feel like a kid. :)

David

Post 04 Jun 2017, 22:24 • #19 
Guide
I was out at the Detroit River today. Really the only place I've fished in this lower part of Michigan that is any good. The other smaller rivers are so polluted that I wouldn't dare go in them.

Post 06 Jun 2017, 21:17 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Suburban Chicago has a few nice streams with a decent smallmouth population. Some of the larger rivers like the Fox or Kankakee can produce 3+ pound fish.

Post 08 Jun 2017, 11:28 • #21 
Inactive
When I lived in cleveland, my local water was the rocky river. Which was 2 blocks from my house and runs through cleveland proper. It's a hotspot for steelhead, smallmouth, carp and gar.

Post 08 Jun 2017, 15:52 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
the abandoned brane wrote:
When I lived in cleveland, my local water was the rocky river. Which was 2 blocks from my house and runs through cleveland proper. It's a hotspot for steelhead, smallmouth, carp and gar.

When I lived near Cleveland, a local river was so polluted it caught fire and burned down a couple of bridges. The revival of the Lake Erie fishery is amazing.

I live on a 50' downtown lot in Oregon now, and yeah, there are some fish. Not great fishing, but I can see if they are rising from the dining room.

Post 08 Jun 2017, 18:28 • #23 
Master Guide
There is a creek 5 mins from my house. I fish the upper reaches a lot - its 20 miles away to the good water that is,similar to the pix David posted. Where it runs near my house it has slowed down and warmed up and picked up a lot of agricultural pollution so it is anything but pristine. There are occasionally good fish to be had though - sometimes smallmouth, sometimes squawfish, sometimes trout.

When I lived in the town of Tigard I was ten minutes drive from a good medium sized river that had lots of public access points and a couple gems of tiny creeks filled with trout or bass.

There are literally dozens of urban credks around here - I try to fish at least a few each year. Some get steelhead and salmon spawners too but you cannot target those species that far upstream.

Some of these creeks get surprisingly wide and deep in places too - one city park has a middling little creek in it that hosts 10 species of gamefish but not in great numbers - but one stretch gets 20+ feet across and deeper than my nipples - I am 6'4" to give an idea of depth. That stretch is lined on both sides with a wall of thick brush and trees and wading is the only way to access it. Fishing is way better in that stretch :)

I have heard urban streams like this affectionately called brown lines. If the water is not so polluted as to be flamable or corrosive - they ususlly have fish.

Post 08 Jun 2017, 18:49 • #24 
Sport
Local urban creeks is my thing here in Montgomery AL.

ImageIMG_20160503_164953 by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

ImageIMG_20160601_162752 by Chris Lynch, on Flickr

I snag sunfish out of ditches and creeks around town all the time, usually 2+ times a week. Instead of keeping fish out of log jams and roots, I'm keeping them off broken concrete, shopping carts, old bicycles, and probably old syringes.

Post 08 Jun 2017, 21:12 • #25 
Inactive
Newfydog wrote:
the abandoned brane wrote:

When I lived near Cleveland, a local river was so polluted it caught fire and burned down a couple of bridges. The revival of the Lake Erie fishery is amazing.

I live on a 50' downtown lot in Oregon now, and yeah, there are some fish. Not great fishing, but I can see if they are rising from the dining room.

That was the cuyahoga, which is still pretty polluted. Not nearly as bad, but I wouldn't eat anything out of it.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply