It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 12:34

Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Sep 2017, 15:46 • #801 
I'm from Plymouth, Michigan and I fish mostly the ponds and streams around my house. There are many bass fill ponds within 10 minutes from my house , And I can get there after work for a quick hour or two at the end of the day. My son and I also go to the rivers that feed the great lakes( mostly Lake Michigan) in the fall and winter to try our luck at salmon and steelhead. We haven't done very well simply because we don't have the correct equipment, or the experience , but I suspect that will come with time.I GOT HOOKED on fly fishing last fall ,and I've only broke out my baitcaster a couple of times. there is a world of difference between bait fishing and fly fishing and one can not compare to the other .

Post 11 Oct 2017, 18:59 • #802 
Guide
I'm from Steven's Mills, Vermont. I'm one of those lucky guys that lives right on the water, I can and some times do catch some very nice trout right of my back porch. I fish the Missisquoi River drainage primarily, but sometimes the Lamoille and Clyde Rivers if I want a change of scenery. I fish brookies and browns mostly, but I do try to get out on Lake Champlain when I have time to fish for pike. One of my favorites though is hiking into remote beaver ponds for wild brookies. All 4 of my kids are learning to fly fish, and tie their own flies which makes it all the more fun for me.

Post 11 Oct 2017, 20:43 • #803 
Glass Fanatic
Sounds like Heaven, sgoodroe. Fishing for wild beaver-pond brook trout is as good as it gets. It's great that your kids fish and tie flies, too: good, healthy activity.

Post 12 Oct 2017, 11:12 • #804 
Guide
It's a great spot to live, fish and raise a family that fishes that's for sure. My wife and I adopted our 4 kids a few years ago, it didn't take them long to get bitten by the fly fishing bug. Funny thing is it took them a while to figure out there are fish right in their back yard.

Post 12 Oct 2017, 12:07 • #805 
I'm a new member. I live in Boise. I fish the various forks of the Boise, the Owyhee, nearby alpine lakes, and every chance I get after work--I run down to the Boise River in-town to find some peace.

Post 13 Oct 2017, 08:09 • #806 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, glassguy!

Post 24 Oct 2017, 11:40 • #807 
I'm a new member who recently relocated from the state of Missouri to the state of Michigan. Around the Kalamazoo area. So I am looking for some home waters. Used to fish the Ozarks water with summer trips to the Yellowstone area. Hope to fish the MI waters, especially the Upper, and still make my trips to Yellowstone.
Thanks to all of you for sharing your wealth of info on the amazing fiberglass rods.
kzoo

Post 07 Nov 2017, 16:20 • #808 
Glass Fanatic
Live in south west Mo and mostly fish close to home which might include NWAr. & NEOk. on occasion. Used to fish central and south Id. and RI & SEMa.

Post 07 Nov 2017, 16:31 • #809 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Trev!

Post 16 Dec 2017, 10:35 • #810 
Sport
Moved back to Boise after 23 years working and sailing in the Puget Sound area. Started fly fishing in mid 70's. Still have my first rod and reel, a Fenwick 8.5' with a Garcia Ambassadeur 156. I went on a ff hiatus during those years in Seattle, but I'm back with a vengeance now. Hitting the Boise River, and surrounding area streams.

Post 25 Jan 2018, 00:42 • #811 
Guide
I am from Minnesota. I love to get on the bike in August and head west for dry fly friendly Cutthroats. Did some Bull Trouting in BC also before the fascist fish regime cracked down on us foreigners. Now I like Wyoming . Still have to find the elusive Colorado River Cutty in order to get the cutthroat slam, but I think this will be the year to fish some in the Green River drainage and get it done. Home streams for me are Lake Superior tribs-spring on the north shore or fall on the Brule for steelhead. And each passing year I am enjoying the Minnesota Driftless region more and more for stream browns.

Post 26 Jan 2018, 14:38 • #812 
Master Guide
I’m from Brazoria County, Texas due south some 55 plus miles from Houston. I live on a 77 acres natural oxbow lake chock full of largemouth bass, crappie, channel and blue catfish, grass carp, a variety sunfish, gar, freshwater drum, and maybe some tilapia if the cold winter this year hasn’t finished them off. I fly rod fish out of a 16’ Jon boat or off the dock.

I’m 30 minutes or less from prime saltwater estuaries and marshes and have spent countless hours after the fish there much of it with a fiberglass fly rod in hand. I’m pretty sandwiched right between the San Bernard National wildlife refuge and the Brazoria National Wildlife refuge. All the tidal water is public and I’ll never exhaust the opportunities there.

I try to fish almost every day either fresh or salt. I’m recuperating from very recent hip replacement surgery so I’m staying off the water for now per doctor’s orders, but look forward to the next adventure fresh or salt.

The saltwater here has the usual Texas gulf coast assortment. Redfish, Speckled trout, and flounder are the inshore staples. There’s lots of other fish that will take a fly in addition to the popular three listed.

I think my home waters are great and it’s a great place to fly fish, either fresh or salt. There’s a lot of variety in the water here and in the fish and they mostly all will eat a fly.

Post 27 Jan 2018, 00:22 • #813 
Sport
Location: Southernmost Illinois.... 6.5 hours South of Chicago, thank God
Been here on this board since 2015. Grew up in NE Jersey. Started fly fishing in the late 50's on a brook that ran through the 120 ac that we lived on. Frind of Dad's gave me a cane rod and reel and som flys and I was hooked (pun intended) Living where I did it was easy to get to the fabled Catskill waters (this was far enough back in the day that ya might not see more than 3-4 other guys on the water on the Neversink, etc) with friends of Dad's and the Jersy stuff including the Delaware.

I came out to Southernmost IL (Southern Illinois University, Carbondale) for school in the 60's and stayed. I thought I had lost my trout stuff but found bass and great blue gill fishing. Then, low and behold, I found the cold water stuff in Missouri, then Arkansas, then East TN and KY...... I was in heaven.

We live in Southernmost Illinois (thats 6.5 hours South of Chicago, thank God) so it can be a 2 hr drive for good small mouth in SE MO and a 5 hr drive to the White, Norfork and Little Red in AR for bruiser trout as well as many of the MO streams which are about 2-4 hours away. East TN and KY take about the same and frankly, I can be on pretty good water within an hour of Nashville, TN. Currently my wife and I fish it all. We have spent time in WY on the Snake which I really liked years ago but is now so crowded it's like a drift boat parking lot around Jackson so we dont do that much any more. I try and get back East once a year for a week or so to fish the Catskills but my health has me somewhat limited in how much walking I can do.

I am retired after 35 years as a college professor ( fancy word for teacher). I had the only two programs of their kind in the US, I trained Shooting Complex and Commercial Hunting Managers. I am the lucky guy that got to turn his avocation into his occupation. I still try and shoot a good bit of sporting clays and keep my collection of Ruger #1's tuned up for coyotes around here.

We fish with everything from cane to the good "plastic" stuff including glass.

Here is a pic of my wife and a good brown sh caught on the White River in AR. Our good friend and guide in the area, Larry Babin, is holding the fish.

The AR waters can produce some huge fish.

Post 27 Jan 2018, 08:55 • #814 
Glass Fanatic
Great story, Huntschool! Sorry to hear about health issues but glad you can fish and shoot. Great trout, too.

Post 16 Feb 2018, 23:51 • #815 
Master Guide
From MA and I am getting back into fishing much more with a fly rod after years of work, coaching and following my kids in their sporting endeavors.

I have and will be fishing the Millers, the Deerfield, Quinipoxet, Stillwater & Nissitisit and little brooks around central MA. used to live 100 yards from the Miller's and spent many days in the Deerfield what seems like a lifetime ago.

May even break out the 8-10wt rods for stripers and blues again, but too many GW sharks where I used to like to fish down the Cape, so may go to Plum Island and fish the Merrimack and Parker River mouths.

Post 20 Feb 2018, 12:58 • #816 
I was born in Poland by the San river in the beautiful mountains of Bieszczady. I started fly fishing there at young age for trout and grayling. Now I live in southern Ontario in Canada and mainly fish small wild trout waters with glass mostly.
I miss grayling though and looking forward  to going back and flyfish my original home waters.
It is my pleasure to be a part of this great community!

Post 20 Feb 2018, 15:09 • #817 
Glass Fanatic
...and our pleasure you're here. Welcome, Grandfly!

Post 21 Feb 2018, 15:46 • #818 
Sport
I live in Denver, CO and just joined the board a few months ago to get some glass rod building info. There's a lot of great opinions around here! My home water is the South Platte with several sections of great tailwater through the mountains, and surprisingly improved fishing through town. I travel for work in the mountain west and always try to pack a fly rod. Trout is my main target but I have really enjoyed the few saltwater trips I've taken, and have started the tough (addicting!) process of targeting carp in the last few years. I built my first rod last year and got into a few Denver South Platte (DSP) carp with it. My 2nd glass build was a gift for my dad, and #3 is a beautiful So Blue 686 waiting for a custom reel seat.

Post 21 Feb 2018, 15:52 • #819 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, jhipps! The Colorado contingent keeps growing! The 686, from all I read about it, ought to be just the ticket for the S. Platte. Hope to see you on the water.

Post 27 Feb 2018, 17:36 • #820 
Hi

I am from west central Indiana, I commute to Indy for work.
I fish mostly in farm ponds and a few creeks and rivers in my area as well as some reclaimed coal strip pits.

I also like to go trout fishing when I can. That's usually either in Indiana (far from where I live) or in Missouri but I hope to expand my horizons this year now that my kids are grown (but not out of the house just yet). I am hoping to get to Idaho in the next couple of years and maybe Wyoming or Montana THIS year.

I retired from my first career as a U.S. Air Force Senior Non Commissioned Officer and was lucky enough to get to fish several places while stationed overseas.

I also was stationed in Oklahoma (twice) which is how I came to love Fly Fishing as well as getting introduced to the Missouri/Ozark region fishing.

Fishing in Oklahoma itself can certainly be quite awesome as well. I feel like I have a "million" miles on my butt from paddling my old Fishmaster float tube around on small lakes in Oklahoma. Lots of great memories there! In fact, I am going there in a few weeks to visit family. Fishing may be a bit early but we're gonna do it anyway.

I caught a very nice smallie there last year from a boat at Lake of the Arbuckles. We were fishing (or trying to fish anyway) with "gear" for crappie off of some points and didn't have any luck for several hours. I asked my brother to move the boat to a cove and then I got the fly rod out. He laughed and said "you'll never catch anything on that in this wind." (Wind is EPIC at times in Oklahoma. I am sure others on this board that live anyplace west of the Mississippi can relate)

I told my brother "I am tying on a beadhead Olive Woolly Bugger SO OF COURSE I WILL catch something, probably within a couple of minutes in fact. It's a foregone conclusion that I will catch a fish! " (I also cast an earnest scowl in his piscatorial blaspheming direction as well)

Sure enough, I pulled some line off the reel and let it down on the lake so the wave action would pull it away from the boat and then I made ONE low to the water sidearm cast and let the fly sink for about 20 seconds. As soon as I started stripping it back in it went THUMP once and then started going sideways HARD. It made enough noise going through the water and pulling on the guides on my rod that he turned around and looked - very surprised in fact! (or maybe it was me going "Wooo hoooo" loud enough in the back of the boat that they could hear me in Dallas?) I caught a very nice smallie and no one was more thrilled than my brother.

Anyway, it was a great day with my best friend (brother) and good memories. Looking forward to making some more in a few weeks.

Sorry for the novel :)

JD

Post 27 Feb 2018, 23:43 • #821 
Glass Fanatic
Good story, jdfog2, and thank you for your service!

Post 21 Mar 2018, 13:42 • #822 
Sport
hello everyone. long time lurker, scavenger of the classifieds, first time poster. i'm going to bomb this forum with content to establish the minimum number of posts such that i can sell a ijuin yomogi in the same classifieds i bought it from. kidding. sort of.

i'm from northeastern connecticut. i fish for most everything that will bite a fly. during winter, i am an avid ice fisherman. my primary glass rods are older orvis full flex models for big flies and warm water fishing. and for small streams i exclusively use kabuto's.

just saying hello. here are some photos that show where i'm at and what i'm about. all the best fellas.

Post 21 Mar 2018, 14:45 • #823 
Glass Fanatic
Wow, good stuff! Welcome.

Post 21 Mar 2018, 14:48 • #824 
Sport
many thanks tomah.

Post 23 Mar 2018, 15:20 • #825 
Sport
Location: Southernmost Illinois.... 6.5 hours South of Chicago, thank God
chadroc:

Welcome to the forum. You have great taste in reels by the way...........

Previous  1 ... 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply