It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 17:35

Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 25 Feb 2017, 17:17 • #776 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, canerod1! What a great thing to look forward to -- enjoy, both when the time comes and in the meantime.

Post 25 Feb 2017, 19:25 • #777 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Canerod1 --- you will fit in just fine. Lots of love here for vintage glass. I agree, the early Orvis grey unsanded graphite rods are favorites of mine too.

Post 26 Feb 2017, 16:28 • #778 
Sport
I see there is a coulee conclave coming up. That's my home waters and I look forward to meeting some of you folks in person. Will bring rods. Lots of rods. Heddons, Fenwick, Shakespeare, and a motley assortment of others. See you folks then, Phil.

Post 26 Feb 2017, 22:04 • #779 
Glass Fanatic
Looking forward to meeting you Phil.

John

Post 04 Mar 2017, 05:14 • #780 
Hamburg, IA. About 2 hrs. north of Kansas City. I haved lived in this area for about ten years. Only last year did i discover there are trout in Iowa. For the most part I fish local farm and conservation ponds for bass, sunnies, and crappie. Last year I make it up to the driftless area of Iowa. I think it is the most beautiful area in the state. I try to make one trip a year down to Arkansas to fish the white and norfolk river for trout and the streams in that area for smallmouth. Before I lived in Pennsylvania and fished the spring creeks in Southeast and south central PA.

Post 10 Mar 2017, 16:24 • #781 
Guide
This is Joe (oldsaltnfla). Come on down to Florida. I am actually in the Lakeland, Florida area, but I love the salt much more than fresh water. I wade fish Sarasota Bay and some times the flats around Anna Maria Island (Tampa Bay). I guarantee that you will catch fish; i.e., spotted sea trout, silver trout, redfish, and a snook or two if you are lucky. You young whippersnappers will have no trouble wading the salt flats, but you will have to be patient with this old guy. I can get around pretty good, just not as fast as I used to. I also have the inside track on most of the other non-fishing attractions.
Joe

Post 02 Jun 2017, 22:04 • #782 
We recently moved to Corrales NM (just outside of Albuquerque) from Columbus Ohio.
Still very much learning my way around New Mexico waters - I've fished some incredibly beautiful streams about an hour or so north of here and am looking forward to getting up to Taos soon. We have family in Durango and Telluride so I've had the chance to fish a bit around there.

Post 21 Jun 2017, 17:44 • #783 
I've been a silent member for a bit, and figured it was time to properly introduce myself. Grew up and still reside in southeast Kansas, about 1 1/2 hours east of Wichita. Primarily fish the litany of ponds, creeks, rivers, and lakes in the area. I divide my time between sunfish and spotted bass in the creeks and sight fishing for carp and gar. I am fortunate enough to make a few Ozark trips a year for smallies or small stream trout. Usually get out to southern Wyoming once or twice a year as well. Don't have any salt experience yet, but have a few plans to address that! If anyone ever wants to wet a line in SEK I will be happy to oblige.

Post 29 Jun 2017, 16:59 • #784 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Slough_foot!

Post 04 Jul 2017, 12:53 • #785 
I live in the Texas Hill Country and travel all over the state for work. This means that my 5 weight travels with me! I mainly fish the Guadalupe river when I'm home, but also get to spend some time on the LLano, Pedernales and Blanco rivers. I'm new to fly fishing but I'm having a blast learning the sport.

Post 04 Jul 2017, 17:57 • #786 
Guide
Welcome to the forum Slough_foot.

I used to visit that area every year down in Parsons. What a nice piece of American history down there, especially Coffeyville. I wish Hollywood would make an accurate movie about the Coffeyville Raid. But they'd probably mess it up any way.

Sorry, got off track. There are some beautiful creeks and streams down in that area, and the warm water species are plenty for sure. I haven't been down in that area for years, but maybe someday I will return.

Post 16 Jul 2017, 21:33 • #787 
Sport
New guy here and I live and fish mostly in Mo. although I do make it out to Co. a couple of times a year. I'm heading west the 3rd week of August to chase brookies down south of Gunnison about 60 miles. I'm new to fishing glass but will be taking a 8' 5-6wt Cortland Pro Crest and a 7 1/2' 4-5wt Cortland Leon Chandler with me.

Last edited by Bluefeather on 27 Jul 2017, 14:43, edited 1 time in total.

Post 17 Jul 2017, 16:40 • #788 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Bluefeather. Enjoy fishing for brook trout in Colorado!

Post 27 Jul 2017, 14:22 • #789 
Hello, my name is Timothy. Spooner and I have been enjoying fishing all over eastern Penna., and up to the Willowemoc and Beaverkill in NY, for many years. Spooner turned 14 last month and has arthritis pretty bad, so this season we're sticking to the Neshaminy Creek, where it's easy to get into the water from the truck, the current is gentle, and Spooner can swim to his heart's content. While he's swimming, I've been playing with various Wonderods from the collection, and trying out different lines on them. We've been having a great time.

Greetings from Bridge Valley!

Post 27 Jul 2017, 22:04 • #790 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, tohickon! That's one nice dog, and nice rod too.

Post 03 Aug 2017, 14:19 • #791 
First post, my name is Larry, I'm retired and live in Pinedale, WY. I fly fish in the summer, mainly in the Rockies and tie flies in the winter. Most of my flies get donated to Project Healing Waters and Casting for Recovery. I'm a retired USAF pilot and love supporting our vets and my first wife passed away back in 2011 from brain cancer so donating to CFR is my way of supporting the cancer community in some small way. Three years ago I tied and donated 68 dozen flies, the next year 88 dozen, this past winter I only tied 37 dozen (had some major health issues). I just finished a 10 day fly fishing trip with Rod (aka rodneybo) on the Green river below Fontenelle. The water level was very high going from 3850 - 4860 bfs (normally it is around 1200-1500 this time of year) so it was challenging to say the least. I haven't fished glass since my dad gave me my first fly rod back in the early 80's, then Rod recently gave me a Steffen 5/6 wt, since then I have really enjoyed fishing dries with it on the Henry's Fork and then the Madison (prior to the Green river trip). Next week I'm headed down to fish the Green below Flaming Gorge Reservoir, my next trip will be to head down to fish the Gunnison river in late August, a first for me.

Post 03 Aug 2017, 15:56 • #792 
Master Guide
Man you are a prolific tier to be sure and donating all the flys speaks to your dedication . By the way thanks for your service and sorry for all your problems. Life goes on as they say but it is always terrible to lose someone you love , either a wife or someone close. Welcome to this forum and hope all goes well for you and good luck ....TOOTY

Post 05 Aug 2017, 18:53 • #793 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, mcnerney! Fellow USAF vet here. Didn't fly but think Warthogs is beeeutiful. Hope you get over health issues, and enjoy upcoming trips to the water.

Post 11 Aug 2017, 08:14 • #794 
Columbus, Ohio. Fly fish mostly quarry ponds, drainage ponds and drainage canals in the Hilliard area. Some of these can be a panfisher's dream. Satellite images, on Google, go a long way in finding these gems. Now, if only local law enforcement would realize fly fishing is a virtuous enough sport that the rules of trespass don't apply.

Post 15 Aug 2017, 14:39 • #795 
Sport
New to forum. Anchorage, Alaska is home and within easy driving distance of fair to excellent fishing for salmon, rainbows, char and grayling, I love to fly fish for trout and grayling!
Just finished with a short trip up to the Denali highway for grayling with my three boys, some great memories made.
I spend a fair amount of time in south eastern Minnesota as my brother has a farm there and the trout fishing is superb, and I thought what folks call the driftless area was an unknown secret outside of the locals until coming to this forum. Guess the fishing has started to catch up with the deer hunting in the region.
Great forum!

Post 28 Aug 2017, 20:05 • #796 
From Marietta, GA.
Fish mostly in Western North Carolina, North Georgia, and East Tennessee. I grew up fishing in East Tennessee.

Started fishing some of my pops old glass, mostly Shakespeare wonderods of various lengths and weights. I admit that I still like graphite and cane too. His 6'6" panfish special is a nice rod.

I have a Phillipson Fly Fox 7' that is about to be mine. I can't wait to give it a go.

This is a great forum and resource. I enjoy reading many of the posts.

Post 28 Aug 2017, 20:35 • #797 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, Tecnos!

Post 28 Aug 2017, 20:49 • #798 
Glass Fanatic
You have some nice fishing holes down your way Tecnos. I live in NY, but spent six years in NC, and enjoyed the trout fishing in the Smoky Mountains.

Post 29 Aug 2017, 08:21 • #799 
Thanks Tomah.

It is a great place. I love fishing out west but the Southern Appalachians are special to me. Love hunting fish in small to medium size water, even if I am constantly walking through rhododendron and spider webs.

I haven't fished in the park in ages, I look forward to getting over there again.

Post 21 Sep 2017, 20:36 • #800 
Sport
I'm in North Alabama, 10 min from Lake Guntersville. I fish some on Guntersville, but mostly I fish Tennessee and North Carolina. Tailwaters, Mountain Streams, Creeks & Rivers. Trout and Smallmouth. I want to do some Musky and Striper fishing with a fly rod at some point. I also have treeing feist squirrel dogs and I hunt with a flintlock. Mostly, I just love to fly fish, hunt and enjoy being outdoors.

Greg

Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply