It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 14:50

Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 14 Dec 2016, 21:04 • #751 
Glass Fanatic
Good to hear from you, easternffer, and to see your beautiful country. Nice fish, too. Tight lines!

Post 17 Dec 2016, 17:08 • #752 
Sport
I hail from Pennsylvania in the Mtns where cell phones dont work. When i was young i fished the salt , chased the tournys up the east coast, got into BASS and one day it hit me. The wild Brookies of the mtns give me more pleasure than any 10 lb bass or 75 lb sail ever will.

So one day while going into town for mail i helped a young gal fix and flat, 46 years later and 3 grand kids i"m happy fishin for the thing i started fishin for. Hope you find yours.

Post 17 Dec 2016, 21:39 • #753 
Glass Fanatic
Quote:
The wild Brookies of the mtns give me more pleasure than any 10 lb bass or 75 lb sail ever will.

Same to me. As a kid fishing for brook trout in Maine, my typical fish was about 8". I avidly read the sporting magazines and was excited by the stories about the big trout of Colorado, Alaska, and New Zealand, as well as the ocean monsters such as you caught. Now that I'm old, I don't care so much about the big fish. Just as with the quest for the old fiberglass feel, I now seek little brook trout in the mountain creeks -- of Colorado. It's just as much fun, and interesting to play with light-weight gear.

I don't mind catching the occasional 18-incher, though.

Post 21 Dec 2016, 21:54 • #754 
Hi everyone, I live in Cave Creek Arizona but am originally from New York City where I began fly casting in the fabled streams of the Catskills, the Beaverkill, Navesink and the Esopus back when the only Orvis shop was in Manchester Vermont. I have also spent much time fly casting for strippers along the coasts of New Jersey and Rhode Island. I have been spending two weeks out of the year fishing the Madison, Gallatin and Boulder rivers in Montana, the rest of the year I dream about the two weeks in Montana. It's comforting to be among kindred spirits.

Post 22 Dec 2016, 10:59 • #755 
Master Guide
Welcome Little George!

Post 22 Dec 2016, 17:30 • #756 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome! Definitely kindred spirits here. As to dreaming about fishing in Montana, you're not alone.

Post 29 Dec 2016, 23:52 • #757 
Currently Portland, Oregon. Unfortunately not the best place to live if you like to flyfish for trout.
Fishing mostly Idaho and Montana. Usual suspects. My home waters are 8 hours drive form home :-(
Before Portland NYC for several years and Catskills - strong inclination to Catskills school and classic wet fly.
Before NY- brown trout in Poland (country)

Post 30 Dec 2016, 00:27 • #758 
Glass Fanatic
gormaci wrote:
Currently Portland, Oregon. Unfortunately not the best place to live if you like to flyfish for trout.
)

Welcome! The Oregon scene takes some learning, but you can do much worse. The fishing here is year round and extremely diverse. You might find you like it, and your Rocky Mountain friends may start coming out to visit!

Post 30 Dec 2016, 07:33 • #759 
Hello Everyone!

I am a college student in Detroit, Michigan, but am originally from Columbus, Ohio. I have no problem roadtriping just about anywhere in the lower 48 to fish. I grew up fishing Ohio's Mad River, but some highlights of my fishing travels include Key West, Henry's Fork, Charleston, SC, Cranberry River, WV, and many other places in between. I am excited to be spending my first summer in Michigan and explore all the excellent fisheries the northern part of the state has to offer. I look forward to learning a lot from everyone as I begin to spend my time in this forum!

Post 30 Dec 2016, 08:52 • #760 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome lost. Fished the Mad a couple of times to chase stock trout. Only place for trout fishing in Ohio so cut my teeth going after smallies in the Little Miami.

Post 01 Jan 2017, 21:13 • #761 
Hey lostturn, noticed that you had fished the Cranberry. It is a beautiful trout stream for sure, just way too many fishermen for my likings. I still have to make a trip there a couple of times a year since it is less that 2 hours away. If you are in the area again try the North and South forks of the Cherry, they get less pressure. The Williams is just over the hill from the Cranberry, but it gets more visitors than the Cranberry.

Post 18 Jan 2017, 08:50 • #762 
I live in Eastern NC, Morehead City area. I fish mainly for red fish. This year though I have stepped my fly fishing interest and fiberglass rod interest more specifically up and have taken a few trips to the NC mountains. I have fished the Davidson and the East Fork of the French Broad River. Right now I really like the mountain stream/ river fishing and I can see how it could be all anyone would ever want to do.

Post 18 Jan 2017, 18:49 • #763 
I'm currently in Grand Rapids, MI. Fish the Rogue for trout and steelhead and the Flat river for smallies. I'm moving to Montana in April for the summer. An hour north of Missoula is where I'll be. I think I'll be fishing the Jocko river mostly. Anyone fish it before?

Post 18 Jan 2017, 18:59 • #764 
Guide
Although I began flyfishing (Circa 2000 AD) for Bluegills and Smallmouth in Southern Indiana . I now live in Bozeman , MT . , where I'm currently waiting out winter and preparing for another wasted summer of small stream fishing .
Hal

Post 23 Jan 2017, 11:58 • #765 
Began fly fishing about 1952 in central Illinois with Dad's old bamboo rod and crude flies that I tied.
Fished in Co., Id, Tx, Mo,Ws, & Mt. over the years. Now live in Ocala, FL. fishing the gulf and fresh water from a kayak.
Art

Post 02 Feb 2017, 14:58 • #766 
Hi, Helo, Goddag og Godaw.
I am Danish, from Denmark !! Born in 1957 and caught my first trout in 1962 I think. Born on a small dairy farm in the western part of Jutland. This part of Denmark was free of ice during the last ice age, and therefore the big rivers from the iceshelf washed all nutrients away on their way westward to the North sea, that divides Denmark from United Kingdom. (didnt really matter for the Vikings though). The rivers and Creeks were low in nutrients. Fish are hungry.
My father told me that when he was a kid, large fish were seen in the litte Creek that belonged to our farm and which not more than 3 feet wide. They were seen at Christmas time and were probaly spawning seatrouts.
I caught Brown trouts up to minimum size of 10 inches. Occasionally a huge 12 or even a 14 inch. Acces to spawning sites had been cut off by Rainbow fish farms. I think there were at least 7 fishfarms downstream from us. These Brown trout ate anything. Worm, spoons and spinners and eventually also flies.
When I was 15 I saw an add for a Fenwick 6`6``. With a Little Financial support I bought it and build my first real rod. And what a rod. I still miss it. I lost it at a time i didnt know what a gem it was. I think it was a SP782.
At a time I converted it to a combined fly and spinning rod. One rod became 2 rods. This Fellow followed me further downstream the Creek to Vegen Creek (Vegen Å, Vegen AA) and further to Big Creek (Storå or Storaa).
In was in the 75-80. There was no salmon and no seatrout in Big Creek. Not many at least. In the upper reaches I caught a lot of graylings (thymalus thymalus) until these streches were poulluted with acidic Water from drainage of farmland.
I started Vetschool in 1976, did some fishing in Holidays but not much.
Graduated in 1984 and during a weekend off with my exwife at my parents at took my fenwick - went to Big Creek and hooked what 2 hours later showed up to be at gigantic Atlantic salmon 116 cm and 15 kg. At that time the biggest salmon in denmark for 30years. Today it is still Danish 6 kg. line class record http://fiskerekorder.dk/danske-rekorder/. The rod was still in one piece. I had two daugters and not much fishing. One day we went to the harbour for fishing and my youngest lost the tip of my fenwick into the bassin. Then I trew the other part away. What a shame. I didnt know what a gem it was.
The Atlantic salmon is thriwing i Denmark The annual catches of salmon in Big Creek (storaa) is now 1300. All breeding is now natural. 190 salmon larger than 75 cm, 108 salmon under 75 brought home. 1120 salmon released. !!. And salmon or seatrout now spawn in my home Creek.

http://svstoraa.dk/index.php?option=com ... Itemid=239

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qokRr0ykKG4

From 1985 until a few years ago I didnt do much fishing. Been there, seen that.
I took up fishing and I am now a member of a few lokal Clubs and I catch a few trouts a year. Size doesnt really matter. Its more the quality of the time spent and the Water. And the the gear.

I have started a search for a Yellow Fenwick SP782. I think my yougest will have to find one for my 60th birthday.
Until then I am looking for old glas. I now own a Fenwick FF86 8½´´ #6, a DR82C 3/8-1oz (downrigger E-glas from Taiwan).
And to day I went to a local fly shop and asked if he had any old glass blanks. Yes - go ahead. I found and bought.

A yellow (not fenwick) Eagle Claw Fiberglass Blank SFSP - 8FT (244cm) spinning rod ? Metal ferulle.
A Hardy Fibatube, Alnwick Trout Fly Glass Fibre 230 cm 7´6´´ no 5/6
A Hardy Fibatube, Alnwick Trout Fly Glass Fibre 245 cm 8´´ no 6

That was a Little bit about me and if anyone know of a 782 6´6´´ please let me know.
Sincerely
Carsten

These rivers or large cree

Post 02 Feb 2017, 19:09 • #767 
Master Guide
Tom McCoy wrote:
Tom McCoy in Winthrop WA. Since it is less than a mile away I suppose my home river is the Methow. However I have been known to frequent the upper Columbia, Clearwater, Grand Ronde, Deschutes, Klickitat, etc.......Great place to live if you like trout, salmon and steelhead.

No idea how to upload photos or I would put some up from this corner of the universe. Maybe next time

Welcome! You've got some beautiful water in your neighborhood (UC, Clearwater, GR & Klick)! The Methow has had a tough run the past few years - ever since I was in 8th grade I've fished it about every other year until the fire in 2014. Some of my favorite 'glass rod' dry fly memories are on that river...

When you figure it out - please post some pictures.

Post 02 Feb 2017, 20:05 • #768 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, drfihl! Yours is a great story, and I know all on the board are happy you're fishing again and in search of a replacement for your wonderful Fenwick. Happy fishing!

Post 08 Feb 2017, 09:26 • #769 
Me, My Salmon, My long gone SP782. Anyone recognize the reel?

Post 12 Feb 2017, 10:48 • #770 
Guide
Wow! Impressive salmon, Carston. That real looks like a Cardinal. They were made by Abu in Sweden. Here in the states, they mostly carried the Zebco name and were green, like yours. They are highly regarded reels. Do you still have it?
I was born the same year as you and at one time my hair looked like that!

Post 15 Feb 2017, 16:58 • #771 
Hi Dan.
Yes you are right. It is a ABU Cardinal 44. I stille have it. Bought it in 1974 I think. I also still have this one and the Cardinal 33. They are still going strong and purring like a cat.
The other day I bought at Rovic 730 at an auction. 10$. It reminds me a lot of the Cardinal. I have found a Picture on Google but not much about who makes it. Have you heard about rovic
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories ... l-any-info

Carsten

Post 16 Feb 2017, 17:09 • #772 
I am from Montana. I am new to this site, and I'm just getting back to the rods of my youth. I have picked up quite a few rods and reels and am looking forward to getting out. I live in the middle of some outstanding fly fishing and the Missouri is the one I fish most. I really like the smaller streams but the fish in the upper Missouri can wear this old man's arm out pretty quick. I have been reading a lot from this site and you have helped guide me down the road in my retro journey.

Post 16 Feb 2017, 17:53 • #773 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, mt-444! Your story parallels that of many on this board. It's a great and fun journey into the (almost) forgotten world of fiberglass. Glad you're here; tight lines in Montana!

Post 20 Feb 2017, 08:01 • #774 
Guide
I am originally from Michigan but I moved central Florida in 1988. I was an English teacher in the Polk County School system for 23 years and retired in 2011. I love to collect and fish the old fiberglass rods. I also collect and fish vintage bamboo rods. I mostly fish the salt flats around Tampa Bay and Sarasota Bay. My favorite fiberglass rod is an old Scientific Anglers System 8 that is 8'8". I love the way it casts.
Joe

Post 25 Feb 2017, 15:27 • #775 
Sport
I'm from the coulee region of wis. ,lucky enough to have been born and raised on a decent trout stream named Timber Coulee. Some of you might have fished that water. Maybe even my home farm. In a year or two I plan to retire on my home place. Looking forward to that. I do most all of my fishing in the coulees of wis, minn, and iowa. Love vintage glass, a little cane, and some softer graphite like the older unsanded orvis superfines. I sure like this sight. Nice and friendly and free with info.

Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34 ... 42  Next New Topic Add Reply