It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:21

New Topic Add Reply
Post 16 Jul 2012, 02:41 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
I have a friend, Nick, who is a graphite guy. He owns 2 fly rods: a Scott G2 904/4 and a heavy hitter for his annual Alaskan salmon fishing trips. Well, I brought him to the Colorado Clave a couple of years ago to introduce him to glass and the good people of FFR, and during the door prize event of the weekend, he, of course, draws #1 and winds up with a South Fork glass 7' #3 rod. Lucky guy!

Well, he finally christened it yesterday. And I brought him to the perfect stream to do so. He's still getting used to its slower casting action, but he could not stop smiling when his first "10 inch monster cutthroat" bent his glass 3 wt to the cork!

Yeah, we have another glass convert. . . .

As Nick reverently kneels to the fish gods, humbly requesting a trout offering, I am reminded of Tom Brokaw's quote, "If fishing is like religion, then fly fishing is high-church." Hmm, I wonder then what dry fly fishing with a glass rod in Colorado's high country would be? How about Heaven? More specifically "Cutthroat Heaven."

[While he's swinging his glass scepter, I'm wielding a glass-souled Winston DL4 8' #4, certainly one of my favorite rods of all time.]

A rain cloud-ridden sky dropped (needed) precipitation intermittently on us, but these gorgeous cutthroat still brought bright spots to the day.

These wary trout hide in the undercuts of these grassy banks. They usually give me a couple casts before they take off laughing, but every once in a while, it all comes together.
Image Image

As we say farewell to paradise, the sky opens up and rains (hard) on us for the 45 minute hike back to the truck. . .

.. . but it was worth it to dream in these vivid colors that night.

Thanks for looking and have a great season, all. [And, Nick, register here on the forum!]

Post 16 Jul 2012, 06:50 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Those are some beautiful shots of a beautiful place/cutts!
Good to hear your friend has joined the "fray".

Post 16 Jul 2012, 08:37 • #3 
Administrator
dbd ... beautiful report and good on you for bringing another convert into the fold.

Post 16 Jul 2012, 09:33 • #4 
Guide
Doc, What a beautiful place and wonderful set of photos! really it is a heaven! Thanks for sharing!
Mark

Post 16 Jul 2012, 11:39 • #5 
Guide
You did it again ... great report and pics.

Post 16 Jul 2012, 11:42 • #6 
Master Guide
Yep! Beautiful photo's & a good feeshin report!

Post 16 Jul 2012, 21:19 • #7 
Master Guide
Wow & thanks for sharing Doc! Sure looks like a bit of heaven to me ...

Post 17 Jul 2012, 00:25 • #8 
Master Guide
Doc ... perfect post.

Post 17 Jul 2012, 01:41 • #9 
Master Guide
Next time I hit CO, cofisher and I have GOT to come see you!

Great spot, great pics DBD!

Post 17 Jul 2012, 06:34 • #10 
Master Guide
First class photography Doc, very nice ...

Jb

Post 17 Jul 2012, 08:49 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
Thanks for another great adventure, Doc! That outing did indeed look like a religious experience.

Post 17 Jul 2012, 09:17 • #12 
Glass Fanatic
Loved it. Makes me want to go to some brooks up above Sun Valley, Idaho, that I fished almost 40 years ago. But I'm not settling when I say these photo essays are just about as good, plus I don't have to drive all that way, which would make my wrists so numb I couldn't fish anyhow.

Duff, you're gonna be in the same church pretty soon, right? Glad I can count on you guys to give heavenly accounts of the service.

Post 17 Jul 2012, 10:08 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Whrlpool, I've always heard about that fishing above Sun Valley but have never been able to get there. We are renting a car near Sun Valley this year so maybe I can get some photos of your old fishing grounds. I have fished Boundry Creek, but you may be talking about way up there. Now that I think about it, isn't it called Copper Basin? Might have to have a four wheel drive for that trip, however. I'll check with Silver Creek Outfitters when I'm in Ketchum.

Post 17 Jul 2012, 11:56 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
That's some spectacular stuff there Doc ... small stream paradise!

Post 19 Jul 2012, 21:31 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Beauty! Some of the prettiest trout on the planet. I remember Nick ... pretty good guy. Hard to imagine having a fishing buddy who is not a pretty good guy. We sure had fun the night of the raffle, did we not? Nice post, Doc. It was sure good to meet you guys on the banks of the Arkansas.

Post 19 Jul 2012, 21:35 • #16 
Glass Fanatic
That looks well worth a soaking!

Post 20 Jul 2012, 09:48 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
Pete - imagine yourself in a month casting to this cutthroat stream as well as the brookie stream that I posted about earlier. And bring a rain jacket, just in case. :)

Waco & Howard - you have a reservation to join me here when you guys cans cross the hill.

Post 29 Jul 2012, 22:16 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
Doc and others,

Following up on the "Cutthroat Heaven" and "Brookie Heaven" topics, my son and I and my brother have decided to route our road trip back from Vancouver Island to Houston and Phoenix respectively through southwest Colorado to do two days of fly fishing. We will be coming through Grand Junction > Montrose > Durango > Pagosa Springs for fishing on August 21 and 22. I know this area offers many (many) fine rivers and streams for fishing, so any personal recommendations will be appreciated (if you prefer we can follow up by PM or e-mail). River or stream size is flexible, with a note that we will likely have 5/6 wt. - 8' rods with us (which are with them up in BC). We will also be looking for some help with the recommended flies for the location and time of year.

Given our limited time, I would prefer something that does not have too much of a hike in to access. Access via dirt road is not a problem (and even preferable) as we have two 4-wheel drive vehicles -- my brother has a more than capable Jeep Wrangler and my son has a Subaru Forester XT.

Thank you.

Andrew.

Post 30 Jul 2012, 07:46 • #19 
Sport
Wish I could take photo's that good!

Post 30 Jul 2012, 18:39 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
Abe, I sure wish I can hop in Pete's truck and come up there, your stream looks great whith plenty of water,I will be thinking of you guys and take plenty of pictures ... aurelio

New Topic Add Reply