It is currently 25 Jul 2017, 15:43

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012, 23:27 • # 1 
Glass Fanatic
I had a chance to take my new Steffen 8'0" 3-piece 6/7wt for a whirl on Washington's Yakima River today, floating a section all day with a friend. I got the rod as a pure streamer rod for use in medium-sized streams to chuck bigger bugs. I already have a 7'9" 5/6wt for the same purpose, but last year decided I could use a step more power for a few of my favorite streams.

The Yakima was not the best place to test this rod, as it's decidedly large and wide-open. It's 9'0" 6wt territory most of the time for me. But I was surprised at how well this rod "scaled up" to handle big water. I threw streamers ranging from #8 sculpzillas to much larger stuff that got heavy when waterlogged using an SA Streamer Express 200 grain line that SA rates as a "6/7". It was so good I didn't even try the other line I brought. The rod has a progressive taper, but since it's a mid-length rod in a heavier line weight, the tip is nice and strong to control big streamers better. Casting range sweet spot was 20'-50', with longer casts shooting a little line depending on the fly I was using. With lighter streamers, I could shoot 70', which was more than I expected. Back to more common fishing ranges, the rod was super accurate like all of Mark's rods. For a mid-length glass streamer rod, one thing I want is for the rod to dampen that hard thump on the back cast that I hate when casting big bugs with graphite rods. This one does that well, allowing me to direct the forward cast with a bit more control rather than having the rod and line vibrating all over.

Also, I should note that this Steffen was like all other Steffens in terms of a very consistent feel and taper family. So if you already know you like one of his other rods and need a streamer stick, you'll feel very comfortable with this one. A few of you PM'd me recently asking if the rod felt heavy or had a big swing weight -- not at all. It really felt crisp and quick, and surprisingly light in hand too. I had a 5.0 ounce reel balancing it on Mark's up-locking setup and it was perfect. Even my graphite-using partner thought it was great.

Anyway, that's my monthly contribution to the archive ...

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2012, 23:59 • # 2 
Guide
Lugan,
How would this rod handle dry flies? With floating lines, is it a 6 or 7 line?

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 01:56 • # 3 
Master Guide
Lugan-

Thanks for the review! I recently received an 8'6" 6/7 weight Steffen. I was not planning on it being a streamer rod when I ordered it, but it is nice to know that it works well as one.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 10:20 • # 4 
Glass Fanatic
Kinzua, I did not try dries, but my guess is that it would work on bigger dries, using 6wt lines at long distance and 7wt shorter. It would probably protect tippet down to 4x. It's probably too much rod for size 14 caddis on 5x though.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 10:36 • # 5 
Sport
I've gotta get me a steffen ... but I already have some really good 'glass rods. I'm sure I'll find an excuse one way or another ;)

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 11:53 • # 6 
Master Guide
Thanks for the review. Now I need a 4/5 and a 6/7 Steffen ...

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2012, 20:57 • # 7 
Glass Fanatic
Great report! Thanks!

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2012, 07:50 • # 8 
Master Guide
Nice report, Tom.
Thanks.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012, 12:12 • # 9 
Glass Fanatic
Cool review. I'm still thinking about a heavier weight steffen ... just can't decide which one.

Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ] New Topic Add Reply