It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 17:29

Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 23 Jun 2015, 14:50 • #251 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome Guli. Though I've not handled one, there are many Bllue Halo fans here. And world class craftsmen, many of whom will generously share info and help with rod building questions. Three weight? Sounds like you are building a light freshwater fly rod. Good luck and be sure to show us some pictures.

Post 23 Jun 2015, 15:13 • #252 
Thanks picketpin52!! Yes It´s for fishing trout in small streams. I´m following some craftsmen in Facebook but here... here is the backstage of the scene, where the work is done ;)

Post 23 Jun 2015, 16:28 • #253 
Master Guide
Welcome guli,
I'm sure you can find all the help you need here.

Don't worry, your English is much better than my Spanish.

Post 23 Jun 2015, 16:51 • #254 
Thanks for your kind answer Arknymph!!! I´m in the process of "deep research" with the old posts!!

Post 11 Jul 2015, 10:30 • #255 
Master Guide
I am a new member and I appreciate the opportunity to join the forum. I live in a North Central Texan urban area and daily fish in the many ponds, canals and lakes in my town.
A few years ago I resolved to fish with a fly rod only after discoving that I could adopt the fly rod to any water or weather condition Texas was offering (formerly fished with a fly rod in Virginia, North Carolina and Georgia) .
I am presently fishing with a two piece fiber glass #3, 7 foot Native Custom (a very nice rod with surprising power), a graphite 4 piece #4 7.5 foot Cabela Traditional III (two stiff and I'll never buy another 4 piece rod), a graphite 2 piece #5 7.5 foot BPS Dogwood Canyon (I think the 2 piece vs. 4 piece gives it better performance) and a #7 7.5 foot Cabela CGR (purchased on a half price sale two weeks ago).
The latter purchase is what lead me to this forum. After the purchase I almost put the rod in my closet because I thought it too big to fit my daily fishing routine (saving it for some Winter Striper fishing in the Trinity). But after trying the rod out on a local pond and finding it responsive to the average size bass it soon became my daily rod of choice (no disrespect to my fiber glass #3, it's still my sweetheart). Then I started Googling and found this forum.
Thanks again for inviting me.

Last edited by JimR on 12 Jul 2015, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Jul 2015, 16:41 • #256 
Master Guide
Welcome to the forum Jim.

Post 11 Jul 2015, 17:53 • #257 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome Jim. You will find a wealth of information here. Happy fishing!

Post 11 Jul 2015, 21:19 • #258 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome guli!

Post 11 Jul 2015, 21:19 • #259 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome JimR!

New from Kentucky
Post 01 Aug 2015, 13:19 • #260 
I just joined mostly to get some information on some fiberglass fly rods I acquired when my brother passed. I started many years ago with a Martin rod and reel (still have it) but fish graphite now.

In the 17 fly rods I got from my brother were two Fenwicks - a FF90 and a FF108. While they are both in their plaid socks they are both in one triangular tube with no end cap. I am curious if these rods are collectible and if so where might I sell them.

When I mentioned to a FF friend I had found a Fiberglass Fly Rod forum he asked if I could also get the same information on a Fenwick FF605 with original sock and case albeit with a curve in the case (not the rod).

Any help would be appreciated.

Clint
far west Kentucky

Post 03 Aug 2015, 21:37 • #261 
Glass Fanatic
Clint,

Welcome,

Start a new topic in collecting rods, or search the forum (or have your friend search the forum).

The bent rod tube is a classic. I have two bent tubes like that.

Post 17 Aug 2015, 10:26 • #262 
Thanks for having me.
I have been fly fishing now for about 5 years down here in SW Florida.
Last year I picked up an Eagleclaw Featherlight and have lots of fun catching bluegill on it and so does my daughter.
Recently I picked up a Cabela's CGR 7/8 for bass and maybe some salt and I am looking forward to the fall when my fishing starts up down here.
I really enjoy glass rods and they fit my casting style much better than graphite and I love feeling the bend at the handle.
Love it.

Post 08 Dec 2015, 17:43 • #263 
Guide
just wanted to say hi ...I just got into this glass flyfishing thing and I am already hooked it is so much fun . its like Im rediscoving flyfishing..just wish I had started using glass sooner! Ive been at it for about 5 weeks now
my rods include 5wt echo,7wt blue halo,5/6 CGR .. I am using these rods for lite saltwater fishing in FL

Post 08 Dec 2015, 18:18 • #264 
Welcome mate, enjoy reading and writing in this nice place!!

Post 06 Jan 2016, 10:58 • #265 
Hello one and all. I have been inactive on this site for a number of years, but I'm back with a new username. I was known previously as "halfhitch." I've been fly fishing for around 50 years. I started out with a Fenwick FF75 back in the '70's and I love glass for most of my freshwater fishing. I just enjoy the way that glass feels. When I was heavily involved in saltwater fly fishing a number of years ago (along South Jersey inlets) , I used graphite, but I most enjoy fishing with fiberglass on small streams. Been living in Maine for about 4 years now, but I miss my small stream Pennsylvania dry fly fishing. I love fiberglass rods for small stream dry and wet fly fishing. It's my favorite kind of fishing. I like this site because I enjoy talking to other fiberglass lovers and the site also keeps me up to date on the latest fiberglass topics. There's always something to learn and it's interesting to hear various perspectives on fly fishing. I look forward to talking to old friends and making new ones.

Post 06 Jan 2016, 13:08 • #266 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome back!

Post 27 Jan 2016, 09:11 • #267 
Sport
Hello Everyone,
I live in Austin, Texas. I am looking to add an ultralight flyrod(1-3 weight) to my arsenal to fish central Texas creeks for small bass and sunfish. I came here to learn about modern fiberglass flyrods to see if I want to go that direction instead of graphite. I currently have a 5 weight and 7 weight Sage graphite flyrods from the mid 90's.

When I was a boy I did some fishing with my father's 1950s' fiberglasss Shakespeare Wonderod. That is what I learned to cast on. I remember it working well for bass and sunfish.

Post 27 Jan 2016, 10:53 • #268 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome Vonfilm. If you want to know about fiberglass fishing rods you are in the right place. No doubt this forum has an impressive and comprehensive wealth of information. Best advice I can offer is that you hang here, read up and ask questions.

Post 02 Feb 2016, 17:54 • #269 
Sport
Gents,
Have been getting ready for this years fly fishing season, and happened to pick up a few classic rods, a 8' 6wt 1980 Orvis unsanded "Trout" rod, and a unfished 1967 handsigned 9' 10wt 1st Gen Fenwick FF108.
So, it got the juices flowing and here I am. ;-)
Look forward to being here.
-Charles (GreyGoose)

Post 02 Feb 2016, 17:57 • #270 
Glass Fanatic
Nice "gets" goose! Welcome to the forum --- we like pics of those sweet rods!

Post 02 Feb 2016, 18:09 • #271 
Sport
Will do, am off to the fly fishing film tour tonight at the Bing Crosby theatre in Spokane, but will get them taken and up asap!

Post 02 Feb 2016, 18:41 • #272 
Sport
Just realized I don't know how to upload pics from my computer to forum...hmmm.

Post 16 Feb 2016, 00:45 • #273 
Hello everyone:

I've recently joined your ranks to learn more about fiberglass fly rods and how to best enjoy them in medium-to-small freshwater rivers and streams. I am personally based in eastern Massachusetts, but most of my [limited] time spent on the water is in NY state, either on the "New York side" of the Battenkill River, or on the West Branch of the Ausable River.

I've dabbled in fly fishing on moving water for trout since the early 90's, and have collected a fair number of [mostly Orvis] graphite fly rods during that time, plus 4 cane rods of varying quality. Based on what I've read about the resurgence of fiberglass over the past few years, I recently decided to acquire an Orvis 7' 3wt Superfine Glass rod as well as a Cabela's 5'9" 3wt CGR. I look forward to trying out both of these new toys later this year and sharing my first impressions of each with the many fiberglass enthusiasts in this community.

Post 16 Feb 2016, 07:47 • #274 
Master Guide
Welcome river_seeker, you picked some nice rods for your first glass. I have the Orvis 5 wgt and a couple of CGRs, fine rods indeed.

Tim

Post 16 Feb 2016, 21:04 • #275 
Guide
New here from Central Texas. Just started looking into building my own rod a couple months ago. Started this whole FF thing as a teenage in the 80s with a Martin 8' 7wt for ponds outside of Austin. Caught tons of warmwater fish on that thing, plus a good number of trout on the occasional summer trip to the Gunnison, CO area. That was the last fiberglass rod I fished for about 30yrs, and quickly descended into buying graphite which I have too many of. Tried out a CGR 2wt last year to get back into glass and didn't take to it (hope you don't hold that against me...). I do still have that Martin and the original little Martin reel and Concept line--maybe I should go give it a try.

So, even though I planned on building a graphite first, here I am looking at all the absolutely awesome glass blanks available (esp. UL weights) so I've already purchase an AR KIassic Glass 6'6" 3wt white blank for my first build. I'm seeing some really tasteful, awesome looking rods here. Looking forward to learning more and hopefully having something worth posting some pics.

Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 22  Next New Topic Add Reply