It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 08:07

New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Sep 2018, 15:29 • #1 
Sport
Hullo, my name is Peter, I have just got back into fly fishing again after too many years away. I fish the river Derwent in County Durham towards the North Pennines for brown trout. I'm still in my twenties so I only discovered fibreglass rods existed about two weeks ago ha! I ordered a Hardy The Test and randomly added Chris Barclay on instagram at the same time, then found this forum after I googled my rod name. Now it looks like I'm saving up for one of his designs. I've been a member of a cutthroat forum before but I had to quit because it was prompting me to spend all my money but I'm sure that won't happen here.

Regards,

Pete

Post 10 Sep 2018, 15:55 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Geordie wrote:
Hullo, my name is Peter, I have just got back into fly fishing again after too many years away. I fish the river Derwent in County Durham towards the North Pennines for brown trout. I'm still in my twenties so I only discovered fibreglass rods existed about two weeks ago ha! I ordered a Hardy The Test and randomly added Chris Barclay on instagram at the same time, then found this forum after I googled my rod name. Now it looks like I'm saving up for one of his designs. I've been a member of a cutthroat forum before but I had to quit because it was prompting me to spend all my money but I'm sure that won't happen here.

Regards,

Pete

Welcome, Geordie! There will surely be no such prompting here, a place of caution about acquisitive tendencies regarding equipment, both new and old.

Post 10 Sep 2018, 16:01 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome aboard Pete. As Tomah stated, we are absolute models of thrift and frugality. Pictures or rods, reels, fish, scenery, etc. are always welcome.

Larry

Post 10 Sep 2018, 21:28 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
Peter - welcome to the forum. You will find the forum an endless source of information. My wife and I travel to England about every other year as I was born in greater London and emigrated with my family when 8 years old. Anyway, about 6 years ago, we found our way to Morpeth where we were having a pint in the Black Bull. We struck up a conversation with a couple in the pub and it turns out that he was a fly fisherman and he and his wife were on holiday from Newcastle. During our conversation, he mentioned he was in need of a shorter lightweight rod and I happened to have some China blanks at home. Anyway, David gave me his address and I built a rod for him and sent it off. Good memories. Also had the opportunity to fish the River Test a few years ago. Roy

Post 11 Sep 2018, 01:11 • #5 
Master Guide
Hello Peter,

Welome on this forum.
If you want to test some fiberglass rods, check Alternative tackel in the UK, he has demo's from several great builders also from Chris Barclay.....

Good luck with it.

Nico
Yammen fly rods

Post 11 Sep 2018, 16:30 • #6 
Master Guide
Welcome, Geordie! I used to wear a Newcastle United jersey during the Tony Yeboah days. Everyone thought I was a referee. Good times.

Post 12 Sep 2018, 09:53 • #7 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome! Love seeing trout streams from all over the world. Would love to see where you fish.

Post 12 Sep 2018, 16:46 • #8 
Sport
Thanks for the warm welcome. Cheers for the heads up on alternative tackle some super looking rods on there. And I've started a new topic showing of my trout stream, hope you enjoy.

Post 12 Sep 2018, 23:02 • #9 
Master Guide
Welcome to the forum from another glass fisherman in his 20's.

Post 13 Sep 2018, 00:04 • #10 
Piscator
they sold a lot of Redditch reels in Newcastle on Tyne.
Image Image

Post 13 Sep 2018, 01:16 • #11 
Sport
bulldog1935 wrote:
they sold a lot of Redditch reels in Newcastle on Tyne.
Image Image

I have a 9ft 6wt JB Walker splitcane rod in good condition that says Newcastle on Tyne. I used it once on a boat on a lake and decided it wasn't worth the effort.

How do you find that reel for weight? There is a 3' reel in good condition on an English website for a good price but then the cost of p&p is putting me off. But I don't think I've ever picked up a vintage reel I just imagine they're really heavy.

Post 13 Sep 2018, 09:17 • #12 
Piscator
3" is a wonderful size, but if there's a problem with the prewar reels, it's the length of most of the brass feet - 2-5/8", which fits a limited number of applications. Most modern reel seats won't take a reel foot longer than 2-1/2".
I have several with 2-1/2" and 2-3/8" feet - the 1917 Hardy St. George I treasured and fished until its value burned a hole in my pocket had a 2-7/8" foot.

Next to Rupe Atwood, who has all the JW Young wholesale catalogs, I'm the JW Young historian - certainly on our side of the pond.
They say the best of both worlds is an American-made (cane) rod with a Brit reel, and I certainly agree with that sentiment.
The reel I showed above is a Young pattern 8, the mini-Cooper of prewar fly reels, in that, they made scads of them, sold under everybody's marque.

FE Thomas of Bangor, Maine imported the Young pattern 14a and 15a, and sold them along side Thomas Special rods as the Thomas Special reel. (Several other US and especially Canadian importers of Young reels).

Thomas Special rod and could be Thomas Special reel, but marked a Lyon & Coulson (of NY) Varden

Young pattern 16a on another Thomas Dirigo rod
The reel is marked as an Allcocks Stockbridge

2-1/2" Young pattern 5 on Phillipson MF66 glass
I think this reel is marked for Cummings

2-1/2" pattern 1 on Lami 605
the reel marked JB Walker

Post 15 Sep 2018, 02:45 • #13 
Sport
Thanks Bulldog. I think I may just have to start a Newcastle on Tyne collection! Would you say 3' reels are best for 4/5 weight lines, a touch too big but passable for a 3 weight? I haven't got any double taper lines yet but I read they're bulkier to fit on a reel.

Post 17 Sep 2018, 08:47 • #14 
Piscator
Hi Geordie, I'm back.
Young pattern 1 3" reels are 3/4" wide, and will hold a bit of backing with 4 and 5 wt.

The pattern 8 3" reels are fairly rare and desirable (as are 3-1/4") - they're narrow with a 1/2" spool width, and will fit a 3-wt just fine.
These are 3-1/2" reels, but a postwar Pridex and prewar pattern 8, both showing the narrow spool.

The 2-1/2" pattern 1 are great for 3-wt.
A few of these were made with short feet, but you can see how the 2-5/8" foot stands out on this little reel

Post 13 Nov 2018, 15:10 • #15 
Sport
Welcome Peter to the forum. I too am a new member. Jed

New Topic Add Reply