It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 13:57

New Topic Add Reply
Post 29 Aug 2018, 15:53 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
For those who love the Driftless Area around Viroqua, WI... I have pretty close ties to people in the area and got a weather update. Much of southern Wisconsin has been absolutely hammered with rain lately, with flash flood warnings in areas that rarely, if ever, see that sort of problem. When I was a kid growing up in Viroqua it was common to hear about flash floods due to the narrow coulees that quickly collect water. So it shouldn't be a surprise to me to get this information from family friends...

"I thought you would be interested in hearing about Coon Valley. We talked with [family friends] today and they said C.V. really got hammered, sitting down there with hills all around it. They are flooded so badly the 700 residents can't get out. One couple was rescued out of their 2nd story window into a front-loader. The septic system had to be shut down because it was over-flowing. The bridge there is in peril... not sure if it's okay. People woke up this morning and saw an angry red bull in the middle of the street. An official sailed down the street right over a Jeep Cherokee and didn't know it was there until the water level went down. What a mess! Can you imagine living there? Also, the Kickapoo River, which always flooded in the spring when we lived around there... is higher than it's ever been."

If you're considering a trip to the Driftless, you might want to wait a bit.

New Topic Add Reply