It is currently 28 Mar 2024, 16:37

New Topic Add Reply
Post 13 Aug 2018, 17:38 • #1 
Sport
Hi, I'm a short time lurker and new member and just want to say I've read a lot of valuable information here and there are a lot of very knowledgeable people. I'm new to fly fishing this year, have been out a number of times and actually caught a few fish in spite of myself.

I'm in CT where there are MANY small streams for native brookies and have become intrigued with trying out a fiberglass rod, probably something in a 4wt, 7-7 1/2 ft. From what I've read so far an older Fenwick would be a good choice as well as a new Fenwick Fenglass. From some of the posts and comments here, I would love to pick up a Lamiglass Honey rod but they seem to be pretty rare and the blanks have gone up considerably in price. I am also a hobbyist by nature and would definitely enjoy building a rod from a blank at some point, but I will save those questions for another post.

Enjoying the Forum!
Thanks,
Brian

Re: New member
Post 13 Aug 2018, 17:53 • #2 
Master Guide
Welcome! Yeah, too bad those Lamiglas blanks went up in price, huh? I also think a 7.5’ 4wt would be useful where I fish. The 7 and 7.5’ Fenwicks get the most time a-stream, though. Not a bum taper in the bunch, IMO.
Again, welcome, and have fun.

Post 13 Aug 2018, 18:08 • #3 
Master Guide
Welcome !!

Post 13 Aug 2018, 19:00 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
welcome brian. i live in ny state. a short drive to the housatonic, and farmington rivers, and i fish both a few times a year. if you are interested we could meet up for sone fall fishing. i have a 7.5' honey lami 4wt that you could try-- sorry not for sale. send me a pm if you're interested.

Post 13 Aug 2018, 20:11 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
Welcome, castnhope!

Post 25 Aug 2018, 18:28 • #6 
Master Guide
Welcome. Yes, either a Lamiglas or a Fenwick would fit the bill quite well. Some good choices in a Fenwick would be the FF70, FF705, FF75 and FF755. A Lamiglas honey rod would be quite slow in its action whereas the Fenwicks will be more moderate, with the later 3 digit models trending a bit faster than their 2 digit predecessors.

Post 26 Aug 2018, 11:32 • #7 
Master Guide
welcome and you will get a lot of fun with this forum and to fish with Fiberglass.

Nico

Post 26 Aug 2018, 11:50 • #8 
Master Guide
Welcome!

New Topic Add Reply