New Topic Add Reply
RIP Art Lee
Post 04 Aug 2018, 12:15 • #1 
Master Guide
NY Times article

Re: RIP Art Lee
Post 04 Aug 2018, 17:58 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
Another one gone. I’d lost track of him in recent years. I’ll always remember him as the guy who showed me how to get to Barnhardt’s Pool.

Post 04 Aug 2018, 20:09 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Rest In Peace.

Soon all of the ladies and gentlemen I grew up reading and/or watching, will be gone. Are there any new folks taking their place? Maybe I'm just out of touch.

Post 06 Aug 2018, 16:59 • #4 
Master Guide
Mr. Lee penned so many articles in past editions of the magazines most of us enjoyed years ago. His image was often seen in many an article or the cover of trout and salmon publications. Recall his fishing neck scarf and other elements of his style in those photographs.

The link to the NYT article was nice. See from the photographs included that he was fishing with a graphite Scott G fly rod, Hardy two screw Princess or Lightweight reel, classic Hodgeman waders, Richardson chest pack and other fine gear. Regardless of equipment, an accomplished angler and writer. Might need to look up his style of hitch knot and give it a try.

Post 07 Aug 2018, 09:29 • #5 
Master Guide
I will always remember Art Lee for his common sense approach to tackle (which included his choosing the Hardy Marquis over the CFO because he could get the Marquis and a spare spool for the price of the CFO—This was in the day when both reels sold for less than $100). And I'll remember him for introducing the world to the McMurray Ant, which may be the only ant pattern I've never taken a fish on, lol. RIP, Piscator.....

Post 08 Aug 2018, 09:39 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
I adopted his signature red bandanna around 1980 when I crossed paths with him a few times.

One of the many guys long gone that we looked up and listened to intently before a few keyboard strokes gave us all the answers.

Post 10 Aug 2018, 19:03 • #7 
Master Guide
RIP

New Topic Add Reply