It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 00:52

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 10 Apr 2018, 17:17 • #1 
Master Guide
I've finally been able to confirm the dates for this year's Michi-Glass gathering. It will be held on June 23rd and 24th. All the particulars are yet to be sorted out, but the date is locked in so if you are planning to attend, make room for it on your calendar. I will have the agenda posted within a few days.

Mark McKellip

UPDATE
This year our gathering will be held on Saturday and Sunday, June 23d and 24th at Warbler's Hideaway, 2704 Lovells Road, Grayling MI. 49738.

This year will be similar to last year with a casting competition to be held on Sunday morning. Prizes are yet to be determined, but I'm sure that something will be provided. When I find out what they will be I will post here as to what they are.

!! FIRST ORDER OF IMPORTANCE !!
BRING YOUR OWN COMFORTABLE CHAIR, NONE WILL BE PROVIDED.
(There are picnic tables though).

Saturday June 23rd.
9:00 AM
Coffee and condiments served in the morning by my wife Sandy and I.

Registration with name tags given to attendees.

Getting acquainted, reunited, casting, comparing, "shootin-the-breeze", and "spreadin the bull" as usual.

********************************************SPECIAL NOTE*****************************************************

Pete Magas will be manning a table or two that will be used to display rods, reels or any paraphernalia that you want to sell or trade, and monitor the tables for security while you are doing other things. this worked out very well last year. He will tag each item with the owners name and asking price. If there is an interest in an item by an attendee, he will inform the owner of the item so they can talk, dicker, or complete a sale or trade.
If you should choose, you may set up your own table to "hawk your own wares" if you want, but please bring your own tables and chairs if you do.

NOON:
Lunch. There will be a lunch provided by my wife and I both days. In all likelihood cold cut sandwiches, chips and the like and bottled water to wash it all down. Bottled water kept on ice will be available all day as well.

POST LUNCH:
Picking up where we left off in the morning. Casting, comparing, shootin-the-breeze, horse-tradin, or whatever suits your fancy.

5:00 End of the first day. IT'S TIME TO GO HEX FISHING! !

Sunday June 24th.

9:00 AM
Coffee served in the morning.

10:00 AM
Au Sable River Casting Championship.

Because the morning is typically the least windy part of the day, we hold it in the morning. So try and be there relatively early to get any practice in.

HERE ARE THE RULES:

Casting order of participants will be determined alphabetically by last name beginning with "A".

RODS TO BE USED:
Whatever fiberglass rod that you want to use, new or old, with a maximum length of 9 feet. Seven weight line is the largest that is allowable. A leader of at least 7 1/2 feet must be used as well. You can use 2 rods if you wish in any way that you want to (you may cast one rod more accurately than the one you use for distance, so this is your choice). I will supply the material to tie on your leaders as a fly, but you must tie it on yourself. Just make sure it's ready to go by the time the casting competition is to begin.

COURSE
All casting will be done on a grass course. There will be a sizeable staked down tarp provided for casters to stand on, to eliminate the entanglement of line in the grass at your feet.

The accuracy course will consist of 4 targets approximately 24" in diameter placed at measured distances of 15', 20', 25' and 30'. Beyond 30 feet there will be 4 targets that are 30" in diameter, and will be at 35', 40', 45' and 50'.

ACCURACY CASTING.
Each caster will cast two rounds. Each round will consist of one cast at each accuracy target starting with the closest target and continuing in order to the longest target. As much false casting as you want prior to each cast is permitted.

Each target has a different point value based on the distance of the target.

A bonus score of 30 points will be awarded to any casters score if he or she hits all four of the 24" targets within a given round.

A bonus score of 50 points will be awarded to any casters score if he or she hits all four of the 30" targets within a given round.

If a caster should hit all of the targets in a single round, he or she will be awarded another bonus of 100 points on top of the bonuses already awarded.

It goes without saying that if you are an accurate caster there is a great opportunity here to enhance your scores to be competitive with the contestants who have greater distance casting skills than you may have.

Accuracy casting point values:

15' is worth 5 points. (24" target)
20' is worth 10 points. (24" target)
25' is worth 15 points. (24" target)
30' is worth 20 points. (24" target)
35' is worth 25 points. (30" target)
40' is worth 30 points. (30" target)
45' is worth 35 points. (30" target)
50' is worth 40 points. (30" target)

A caster will be given the above stated points for each target if: 1. Their fly lands inside the target. 2. Their fly hits inside the target and bounces out. 3. Their fly hits the ring of the target and bounces off. Judges will be stationed at each target on each cast to assure these rules are met.

A caster will receive a zero score if: 1. Their fly lands outside the target. 2. Their fly hits the ground outside the target and bounces in. 3. Their fly contacts the ground IN FRONT of the caster on any false cast. 4. The caster moves the fly before it can be scored.

All judge's decisions are final.

DISTANCE CASTING.

Distance Scoring:

Distance casts will be scored as one point for each foot from the leading edge of the tarp to the location of the fly. Each caster can make up to 2 practice casts prior to the 3 casts that count for their score. Each caster will make three measured casts in succession, with the two longest casts being added together to calculate their total distance score.

TOTAL SCORING:

Each caster will receive a final score equal to the total of all accuracy casts plus the total from their two longest distance casts to determine who the winners are.

The actual tournament will begin at around 10:00 AM.

Lunch will be served at 12:00 Noon or thereabouts depending on the casting competition.

POST LUNCH:

Results of the casting competition announced and prizes awarded.

Rod casting, comparing, ogling, buying, selling, trading, story telling, spreading the bull, the outright telling of lies, tall tales and such, as usually accompanies this gathering. Anyone is welcome to chime in and add their own.

4:00 or so:
End of gathering.

IT'S TIME TO GO HEX FISHING! !

The price for admission this year is $20.00.

REGISTRATION

To register for this gathering please contact me by phone, email or mail so that we can make the necessary arrangements "food-wise". We want to make sure that we have enough for all who attend and not be short in our food purchases. I can't emphasize enough to you how important this is. It doesn't hurt either to send in your fee to me early. Making out name tags and taking fees from a bunch of people the morning of the gathering's first day is a lot of work. So PLEASE send in your registration early! !

REGISTRATION INFORMATION

Send check or money order, along with your name, address, phone number and email address to:
Mark McKellip
1306 Wilson St.
Bay City, MI. 48708
989-893-5938
989-891-6691 cell
Make checks or money orders payable to me, NOT Michi-Glass ! !
I will email, and or call you to confirm your registration upon your remittance.

HERE IS A LODGING LIST IN THE GENERAL AREA.

There are others in the city of Grayling, but these are closest in proximity to the gathering site.

Gates Au Sable Lodge
471 Stephan Bridge Road
Grayling, MI. 49738
989-348-8462
http://www.gateslodge.com
At Stephan Bridge on the Au Sable mainstream "Holy Waters"
10.4 miles to gathering site.

Jim's Cabins
1706 S. Wakely Bridge Road
Grayling, MI. 49738
989-348-3203
http://www.jimscabins.com
At Wakely Bridge on the Au Sable mainstream "Holy Waters"
9.9 miles to gathering site.

Bud's Cabins and Motel
8378 Twin Bridge Road
Grayling, MI. 49738
989-348-8400
http://www.budscabins.com
On the North Branch of the Au Sable in Lovells
8.1 miles to gathering site.

Riverview Lodge and Cabins
855-687-9501 Toll free
http://www.ausablecabins.com
On the mainstream of the Au Sable
About 8 miles to gathering site.

Fullers North Branch Outing Club
6122 E. County Road 612
Grayling MI. 49738
989-348-7951
http://www.fullersnboc.com
On the North Branch of the Au Sable in Lovells
7.9 miles to gathering site.

Lovells Lodging
6530 County Road 612
Grayling MI. 49738
989-889-5409
517-316-6369
7.8 miles to gathering site.

Whispering Pines Resort
11763 W. County Rd. 612
Frederic, Mi. 49733
989-348-2044
http://whisperingresort.com/
On the Manistee River
31 miles from gathering site.

Bear Paw Cabins
3744 M-72 West
Luzerne MI. 48636
989-826-3313
http://www.bearpawcabinsandcanoes.com
15.7 miles from gathering site.

If you have any interest at all in bamboo rods you may want to consider taking in the "Rodmakers at Grayrock" gathering that is being held this year on June 21st, 22nd and 23rd just prior to our gathering. A good number who primarily attend the fiberglass affair also attend this gathering. As well, a fair amount of bamboo rod makers attended Michi-Glass last year and they said that they will be back again this year. Attending both gatherings would add a lot of "flavor" to your trip if taken advantage of.
For detailed information on the Grayrock Gathering, go to:
http://www.rodmakersatgrayrock.org

So set the time aside, make your plans and try to make it here for this year's Michi-Glass Gathering.
Thanks,
Mark McKellip.

Last edited by fishwoodrods on 14 Apr 2018, 13:18, edited 2 times in total.

Post 10 Apr 2018, 18:57 • #2 
Master Guide
Mark,

Great of you to offer to host this event again in 2018. It is always a fine time.

Last edited by Grouse on 11 Apr 2018, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.

Post 11 Apr 2018, 13:23 • #3 
Guide
WOW - thanks for all the effort Mark. Such a fun event at the best time of the year - that is if you like fun . Ughhhh - I am scheduled to be out of town then (it's my anniversary) but if that changes I'll be there.

Post 11 Apr 2018, 16:50 • #4 
Guide
I’ll be there on Sunday. Thanks for all you put into this. John

Post 12 Apr 2018, 15:09 • #5 
Glass Fanatic
I won't be able to attend this year, already committed to too many events however I will try to get a couple of demos there for everyone to cast.

Post 07 May 2018, 00:59 • #6 
Sport
Mark - Looking forward to it as always, but still don't like making a schmuck of myself in the casting contest. Will try to get check out sometime soon.

Jim

Post 07 May 2018, 05:23 • #7 
Guide
Mark, I have an appointment at the Mayo clinic conflicting with Michi-Glass. Sorry.

Pete

Post 08 May 2018, 09:55 • #8 
Master Guide
Sorry to hear that Pete. I hope all goes well with you on your visit there.
Mark.

Post 13 May 2018, 00:08 • #9 
Sport
That's ditto for me Pete. Always look forward to seeing you. Hope things go well, and we'll be thinking about ya.

Jim

Post 14 May 2018, 09:43 • #10 
Master Guide
Just a note that the casting competition on Sunday will have prizes awarded to the top three scores. The prizes are:

First place: A one day guided trip in either an Au Sable river boat, or in a drift boat, with lunch provided plus a WF-5-F 406 fly line and hat.

Second place: A WF-5-F fly line and hat.

Third place: A WF-5-F fly line and hat.

The guided trip is generously donated by Sean McKellip and the fly lines and hats were generously donated by Tom and Alexis Broadhead of 406 flylines.
I want to thank these three people for their continued generosity in support of our gathering.
Mark.

Post 17 May 2018, 23:07 • #11 
Guide
I plan to attend. I'm staying in Lovells for 20 days, so it sounds like fun. I'm hoping to get to toss some glass. I'm hoping somebody might have some of the rods from Steffen that I might be able to give a spin?

See you all in a month or so!

Post 21 May 2018, 08:45 • #12 
Master Guide
Typically there are a number of Steffen's that show up every year.

Post 21 May 2018, 11:53 • #13 
Guide
Thanks!

fishwoodrods wrote:
Typically there are a number of Steffen's that show up every year.

Post 29 May 2018, 15:37 • #14 
Master Guide
There are 25 days to go before this gathering and I know that there are many who are planning on attending, but I don't know for sure that you are, or who you are. Please let me know, as I have to make plans as to how much food to buy so that everyone gets fed. Without knowing how many people to buy for, I may be short of provisions, or have way too much, neither of which would be a pleasant experience for me, or you. So please let me know who's coming by getting your registrations to me, or at least saying so.
Mark.

Post 29 May 2018, 16:30 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Mark, sorry to say we won't make it back this year. My son's wife will be giving birth in mid-June, and we'll be with the couple during the 'clave. Here's hoping you have a great gathering, with good fishing as well.

Regards,
Charlie

Post 30 May 2018, 08:51 • #16 
Master Guide
Thanks Charlie. I hope all goes well with the addition to your family. That's much more important than coming here. Maybe next year. Thank you for your reply.
Mark.

Post 30 May 2018, 11:05 • #17 
Guide
I'll be there Saturday...

Post 01 Jun 2018, 00:06 • #18 
Master Guide
I will see you then, thanks for your reply.
Mark.

Post 01 Jun 2018, 10:04 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
I'll be there and will have lots of Steffens as well as other rods. If my son can't come, I'll bring his Steffen's too. Normally I string up all my rods for people to try and should have the following rods with me this year:

3-weights
Kenney..........8'1" 3wt 3pc.......Kenney Built - Latte Color
Steffen..........7'6" 2/3wt 3pc....(A gorgeous build by Matt Leiderman)

4-weights
McFarland.....8'8" 4wt 3pc.......McFarland Built with Black S-Glass
Scott..............8'0" 4wt 2pc.......Scott Built F79 (Yellow - Early San Francisco era rod)
Steffen...........7'9" 3/4wt 3pc....Steffen Built
Morgan..........7'6" 4wt 2pc.......Gerri Carlson Built (Tom Morgan's wife), with extra tip
Scott..............7'0" 4wt 3pc.......Scott Built F70-4/3 (Brown - San Francisco era rod)

5-weights
Steffen..........8'0" 4/5wt 3pc.....(A build by Mark McKellip with his really cool reel seat)(my favorite all-arounder)
Kabuto..........7'6" 4wt 3pc........Kabuto Built - Yellow (my son wants this one tagged for him in my will :) )
F. Paddock....7'0" 5wt 2pc........Paddock Built Signed Series White Blank (I'd trade for a yellow one)
Steffen...........7'0" 5wt 3pc........Steffen Built

6-weights
EPIC.............8'6" 6wt 3pc.......(A build by Shane Gray - Salsa color & Lemke Titanium reel seat)
Steffen..........8'6" 6wt 2pc........Steffen Built
Hardy JET.....8'0" 6wt 3pc.......Hardy Built (Blank by Fisher)(You sure won't see many 3pc JET's)
Sage SFL.....7'9" 6wt 3pc........Sage Built (Yes, Sage built a glass rod in the beginning)
Winston........7'6" 5wt 2pc........Winston Built (San Francisco era rod) (Blank by Fisher)
Fenwick........7'0" 5wt 4pc........Fenwick Built

7-weights
Steffen..........8'3" 7/8wt 3pc.....This rod will really boom out a line

Post 01 Jun 2018, 10:53 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
By the way, I'd like to make a public service announcement.

90% of the rods put out are from the same guys each year. And yet, lots of guys come and talk about their rods but don't bring them out. I've been finding out that they are in their car trunks. Bring them out. If your rod is not on a rack, please, please, please, put it on one of the racks for people to try or compare or gawk at. I don't care what it is. Old rods, new rods, cheap rods, expensive rods, ugly rods, artisan rods, I want to see them all. Whatever it is, please bring it and let others get an appreciation for all rods. And if at all possible, please line it up. Rods have a much better chance of getting cast if they are lined up. If you're hesitant to let someone cast your rod, I am here to tell you the risk is low that anything will happen to your rod. I've been sharing my rods for years and not had a single issue.

So if you come, please bring your rods with you and put them on the racks for all to enjoy. Besides, it's nice to share.

Post 01 Jun 2018, 12:36 • #21 
Guide
I planned to bring my rods & line them. NOTHING special, but I'm sure somebody will enjoy them. Hoping to see lots of rods and cast them too, so it is part of the sharing to get to do so. I'll have my

Phillipson MASTER G-MF66 6'6"

Fenwick FF70

CGR 5'9" 3wt OR the 7'6" 5/6

MIGHT have another bought before then, never know!

CrustyBugger wrote:

90% of the rods put out are from the same guys each year. And yet, lots of guys come and talk about their rods but don't bring them out. I've been finding out that they are in their car trunks. Bring them out. If your rod is not on a rack, please, please, please, put it on one of the racks for people to try or compare or gawk at. I don't care what it is. Old rods, new rods, cheap rods, expensive rods, ugly rods, artisan rods, I want to see them all. Whatever it is, please bring it and let others get an appreciation for all rods. And if at all possible, please line it up. Rods have a much better chance of getting cast if they are lined up. If you're hesitant to let someone cast your rod, I am here to tell you the risk is low that anything will happen to your rod. I've been sharing my rods for years and not had a single issue.

So if you come, please bring your rods with you and put them on the racks for all to enjoy. Besides, it's nice to share.

Last edited by kevin2 on 01 Jun 2018, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

Post 01 Jun 2018, 14:01 • #22 
Master Guide
CrustyBugger wrote:

I concur with your statement Dave. One of the main objectives of gatherings such as these is to sample rods that you don't own, but it's a two way street. I can personally attest that my interest in modern fiberglass was re-invigorated by the first gathering that we had. It gave me some direction as to what I wanted to get for myself among the modern offerings and rekindled my interest in the older rods that I own.

I will have with me:
A Scott brown F97 4 weight 2 piece made up from a blank in 1979.
A Scott yellow F85 6 weight 2 piece made up from a blank a few years ago.
A Seele (McFarland) Rapid 8' 8" 6 weight built up from a blank.
A Paddock yellow 8' 3 piece 5 weight built up from a blank.
A Wanigas Au Sable 7 1/2' 5 weight. (This rod will be for sale at the gathering).
Plus all of my personal bamboo rods.

To give others an idea as to what can be expected to see there, post a list of what you will be bringing.

Thanks, Mark.

Post 01 Jun 2018, 15:08 • #23 
Sport
Registration is in the mail Mark. See ya soon!

Post 01 Jun 2018, 15:16 • #24 
Master Guide
Thanks Jim!

Post 07 Jun 2018, 08:11 • #25 
Administrator
Folks, I know that this event will put quite a few of you in northern Michigan and if anyone is wondering what they could do after the event, consider the Beaver Island trip that I posted on the other day. I am still looking for someone to jump on the trip for all or part of the days since someone bowed out at the last minute. If you're interested in likely catching the largest carp or smallmouth of your life, please PM me for details. We're staying in a great house, the fly fishing around Beaver Island is exceptional and this could add an interesting angle on your trip to Michi-Glass.

1, 2  Next New Topic Add Reply