It is currently 29 Mar 2024, 02:08

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply
Post 18 Apr 2018, 07:35 • #101 
Guide
I'll be arriving late Thursday night and staying at the Hampton Inn. If anybody wants to get an early start Friday morning and put a few miles of trail in to explore a few blue lines, drop me a PM.

It will be my first time in the Brevard area, I've been studying the topos and I have a couple of areas picked out to explore. I may be headed for "dead" water but that's part of the fun in exploring new water.

Chris

Post 18 Apr 2018, 07:56 • #102 
Master Guide
I'll be arriving on Thursday and will be around until Tuesday. Will be at the campgrounds... I plan to pickup my groceries soon, so if anyone wanted to stop by for a meal, and or a firm drink, let me know. I will make the provisions to have extra on hand.
For fishing, I will see what's going on when I arrive and plan from there.

Post 18 Apr 2018, 08:31 • #103 
Guide
Fred,

I am planning on arriving to the campsite Friday morning hopefully by 9. If there is anything you need for me to bring let me know.

Thanks,

David

Also if anybody has any flies that work well there that they are willing to sell please let me know. I am pretty much a novice to trout fishing.

Post 18 Apr 2018, 08:38 • #104 
Master Guide
David, I have plenty of flies for the waters... I'll get you set up. My spring boxes are in good shape. I should have a grasp of what's going on by the time you arrive.

Post 18 Apr 2018, 11:34 • #105 
Guide
That is awesome Fred. Thank you!

Post 18 Apr 2018, 12:42 • #106 
Glass Fanatic
Fred - if you are able to suggest appropriate flies, could you post them here? I have occasionally checked the stream reports of the Davidson Outfitters and the patterns seem to be in transition. Thanks, Roy

Post 18 Apr 2018, 14:04 • #107 
Master Guide
Roy, I won't know what's going on until I see it for myself. I haven't fished the Davidson before. For flies, I'm sure it'll be a mix. Hendricksons, blue quills, march browns, caddis... the standard spring stuff for the east. Emergers, dries, spinners... according to what's happening.

Post 18 Apr 2018, 15:52 • #108 
Guide
The Davidson is not a particularly strong dry fly water, not to say you won’t see any or come across some feeders .... be prepared to nymph or if there is some rain then streamers. If the water gets some color in it ...then junk flies can be very effective.

If the water is clear then be prepared for longer lighter , think 6 or 7x, leaders.

Post 18 Apr 2018, 16:07 • #109 
Glass Fanatic
Roy, transition’s part of the fun there. I’m reminded of a particularly enjoyable time several years ago when I was in the same pool for four hours plus, just trying to figure out the hatch transitions, and getting maybe 20 minutes of action before a change necessitated more analysis. That kind of thing is rare in this region.

I recently looked in a small box that’s basically Davidson flies, and am reminded that western PMDs have worked some during sulphur hatch times, and that on an earlier meet up, (10 years? I’m really getting old.) Cameron gave me some red midge nymphs that worked in the hatchery section, and I’ve used other similar patterns up there with success; unfortunately, I’m bad on names of ties.

BTW, is anyone getting there in time to fish on Thursday, other than an evening hatch? Work stuff may make it easier for me to show up early than stick around on Sunday.

Also FYI, the campground can get strict on enforcing their rule of 2 cars to a site, and the overflow parking area (not real big to begin with) can be a bit of walk from where Fred etc., are camped, so carpooling there can make sense.

Post 20 Apr 2018, 07:40 • #110 
Glass Fanatic
Hello everyone! I spent the day scouting around and getting ready for next week!!
I spoke with Annie at http://www.russelinleaves.com/ and she has a cabin available.
Please contact her to book it and let her know that you’re with me. Thanks!
More info soon...

Post 20 Apr 2018, 12:19 • #111 
Glass Fanatic
Just picked up the shirts!!
JoeFriday knocked it out again!!

Post 20 Apr 2018, 18:28 • #112 
Guide
Damn I wish I were going to be there.......

Spring just won't be the same without at least one Barclay sighting........

Post 21 Apr 2018, 08:56 • #113 
Administrator
DIG. Great looking conclave t-shirt.

My plan is still to roll up there on Saturday afternoon/evening, depending when I can get away from work. I'll have a full cooler full of brews, some TFM swag giveaways and we'll see what else.

I'll likely head home on Sunday morning as I have a pile of things to get done around here that have been neglected with a busy work schedule the past couple of months.

Post 23 Apr 2018, 19:48 • #114 
Master Guide
I'll take the liberty of speaking for those of us who can't make the Carolina Conclave, we expect to see lots, and I mean lots, of pictures from this event...pics of rods, reels, rivers, trees, bugs, fish, beer, whisky, jovial anglers, etc. It's quite a burden, I know, but we're all counting on you! :lol

Post 23 Apr 2018, 20:09 • #115 
Guide
What happens on the Davidson (and surrounding waters) stays there, just saying.

Post 23 Apr 2018, 22:26 • #116 
Master Guide
Flyminded wrote:
What happens on the Davidson (and surrounding waters) stays there, just saying.

Funny how quickly people forget the name of the D------- when a big fish comes out.

My plans have changed a bit, so I'm hoping to get there as early as possible to fish Thursday. I'll string up my hammock on the mountain that night and then fish Friday until 5:00. I have to drive back to Atlanta Friday night - hate that I'll miss the festivities on Saturday but glad I'll at least get to be there Friday.

We're getting smashed with rain down here in Atlanta, and it looks like the same front is hitting Brevard. Hopefully the creeks are down by this weekend. Don't forget your streamer boxes!

Post 24 Apr 2018, 09:38 • #117 
Glass Fanatic
Robert wrote:
I'll take the liberty of speaking for those of us who can't make the Carolina Conclave, we expect to see lots, and I mean lots, of pictures from this event...pics of rods, reels, rivers, trees, bugs, fish, beer, whisky, jovial anglers, etc. It's quite a burden, I know, but we're all counting on you! :lol

Ditto, really wish I could make this one and before I started attending Barclay's claves I used to wait around the computer for his and Sagebass' reports.

Post 24 Apr 2018, 14:14 • #118 
Glass Fanatic
Hope you all (or is that y'all?) have an awesome time. Chris knows how to put together a great event. And the fishing should be spectacular. Enjoy!

Post 24 Apr 2018, 14:31 • #119 
Glass Fanatic
Agreed!! I'm bummed that a lot of my friends from the Coulee Conclaves in the past won't be there but I know it'll still be a great time with a bunch of new and familiar faces. It's always a great time!
We'll be sure to take a bunch of pics and I'll do my best to write a report.

I want to thank Brett (JoeFriday) publically for doing such a fantastic job on the shirt design! He knocked it out again. I should have plenty of shirts and sizes and may have a few left over for those interested.

See y'all soon!

Post 24 Apr 2018, 14:47 • #120 
Guide
I got lucky to win on auction a 8’ 6 weight LL Bean fiberglass unfished rod Fisher blank and will bring it with me. Feels fast for glass and should be good for streamers. I have a Rio Gold 5wt line but need to find a little heavier line there. Will also bring an All Star Austin 9’ 4 weight. I have blanks that I was intending on building up before this but life got the best of me ie. procrastination,family and work. The bright side is I will see many great builder’s rods in person to inspire my builds. I am looking forward to this.

Post 24 Apr 2018, 15:05 • #121 
Glass Fanatic
CBarclay wrote:
I want to thank Brett (JoeFriday) publically for doing such a fantastic job on the shirt design! He knocked it out again.

Thanks, Chris. It's always a pleasure to support the C. Barclay Fly Rod Company. Next year I'll be there in person if my parole officer says it's ok.

Post 24 Apr 2018, 16:00 • #122 
Glass Fanatic
One more thing...
The focus of these gatherings is always and will always be fishing but fly fishers are notorious for their wheeling and dealing skills. So I want to make sure everyone understands that it's ok (and expected) to bring stuff for a gear swap. I've never really planned a specific time but I imagine Friday evening at Sycamore Flats during the meet and greet time would be perfect for it.
If you're looking to pick something up or let something go, bring it!

And I have it on good authority that 406 Fly Lines will be available for purchase as well.

Also, at the pavilion there are plenty of picnic tables but if you've got a camp chair or two it wouldn't hurt to bring them along in case you want to sit down.

Post 25 Apr 2018, 12:46 • #123 
Guide
And....it looks like the Friday Night Meet & Greet dinner menu will be smoked brisket, cole slaw and chips. Should be plenty for everyone, should be good! See you there!

Post 25 Apr 2018, 20:28 • #124 
Glass Fanatic
sbfishing wrote:
And....it looks like the Friday Night Meet & Greet dinner menu will be smoked brisket, cole slaw and chips. Should be plenty for everyone, should be good! See you there!

Thanks so much Steve!! Really looking forward to your vittles.

I just picked up 9 cases of beer from a local beer shop (The Pipe and Pint in Greensboro) today to go along with it. Hopefully that'll be enough? :D

I'll be leaving in the morning to get to the area and get camp set up so any last communications please contact me through email or phone/text.

See y'all soon!!

Post 25 Apr 2018, 21:35 • #125 
Master Guide
Plan to be in the area by midday tomorrow. Hope to get settled in and go from there. Just finished up grocery shopping, have to get an old fruit jar or two out of the cupboard, and put some venison in the cooler tomorrow morning... looking forward to catching up with everyone.

Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply