It is currently 19 Apr 2024, 22:35

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply
Carolina Conclave 2018
Post 30 Nov 2017, 10:10 • #1 
Glass Fanatic
Hello everyone,
I wanted to announce that I'll be hosting a Carolina Conclave somewhere in or near the Western North Carolina Smokies April 27-29 2018. I'm still putting details together regarding exact location and further info. Hopefully this is enough notice to get it on your calendars.

Anyone willing to help host and put together details please contact me and I'll add you to the planning committee. And of course, sponsors are welcome too! Please contact me here: http://cbarclayflyrods.com/contact/

This said, and to help answer some questions, I will not be able to work out hosting the Coulee Conclave so I am holding this in place of the Coulee Conclave.

Post 30 Nov 2017, 15:18 • #2 
Glass Fanatic
I really hope I can attend this! Any travel/lodging information would be greatly appreciated!

Post 30 Nov 2017, 15:34 • #3 
Glass Fanatic
Great news!

Post 30 Nov 2017, 18:00 • #4 
Glass Fanatic
I should be able to make that. Looking forward to seeing some of Chris' new offerings, getting to meet people, and of course, fish in one of the best times of the year around there.

Post 30 Nov 2017, 21:09 • #5 
Sport
That sounds great. Fishing in WNC is usually about perfect that time of year. Looking forward to hearing where you pick for a location.

Post 30 Nov 2017, 23:42 • #6 
Glass Fanatic
Wish I could come but don’t think I will make it since I think I will be in the Catskills the following week. I used to fish the Smokes once a year in April when I still lived in Ohio and love that time of year down there.

Post 01 Dec 2017, 08:24 • #7 
Master Guide
Have some new stuff to bring also. Maybe this would be a good venue for the roll-out...

Marty

Post 23 Dec 2017, 20:36 • #8 
Glass Fanatic
Seriously thinking about this. Any suggestions as to rod weight/lengths? Roy

Post 23 Dec 2017, 20:37 • #9 
Guide
I'll try to make it

Post 24 Dec 2017, 16:58 • #10 
Glass Fanatic
retiredfisher1 wrote:
Seriously thinking about this. Any suggestions as to rod weight/lengths? Roy

Depending on exactly where it is, there may be some smallie water handy, and some decently sized trout water. But that time of year I'd want to wander along some stream that just about everyone would call small. The type you might use with Chris' 7'2" 3 weight , or a Scott F2 653. I'm sure 64p too, but I have no experience there.

Post 24 Dec 2017, 22:30 • #11 
Glass Fanatic
I apologize for the silence but I'm glad for the interest!
I'm narrowing in on the location and know it'll be in the Asheville/Hendersonville/Davidson River area. Lots of great water (bigger and smaller) and accomodations there.
As for rods, 6-8' 3-5wts generally speaking. Lots of variety!!

Post 28 Dec 2017, 07:56 • #12 
Guide
I'll be trying to get my body together to make this. One of my favorite places to fish and I haven't been down there for over five years.

Post 28 Dec 2017, 10:39 • #13 
Glass Fanatic
Mandobear wrote:
I'll be trying to get my body together to make this. One of my favorite places to fish and I haven't been down there for over five years.

I'd love that, Dave!

Post 09 Jan 2018, 22:24 • #14 
Glass Fanatic
I’m looking for suggestions for places to stay. Any suggestions? Roy

Post 09 Jan 2018, 23:41 • #15 
Glass Fanatic
Hi Roy (and everyone else), I’ve been delayed in my planning this but am headed to the WNC area tomorrow to finalize some things.
I hope to have a good answer for you soon.

Post 10 Jan 2018, 06:24 • #16 
Guide
retiredfisher1 wrote:
I’m looking for suggestions for places to stay. Any suggestions? Roy
Whenever we head that way we normally find an air bnb. Last time stayed in a one room log cabin right on a delayed harvest trout stream. Just a suggestion if you are tired of holiday inns

Post 10 Jan 2018, 09:30 • #17 
Glass Fanatic
I'd really like to make it down there, and will someday. If all goes as planned, my wife and I will be in Hawaii.

Post 11 Jan 2018, 11:15 • #18 
Glass Fanatic
I may be interested also. My retirement date is April 30th so as of now it's a bit up in the air.

Post 15 Jan 2018, 15:48 • #19 
Glass Fanatic
ALRIGHT! Thanks for your patience.
We have been making good progress on details for this shindig.

It'll be just outside of Asheville, NC near the town of Brevard in the Pisgah National Forest.
We'll be HQ'd at Sycamore Flats Picnic Shelter: https://www.recreation.gov/camping/map_of_Sycamore_Flats_Picnic_Shelter/r/campgroundMap.do?page=map&search=site&contractCode=NRSO&parkId=109585

The Davidson River Campground is a great campsite and is very close to Sycamore Flats. https://www.recreation.gov/camping/davidson-river/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70204

Nearby are many other lodging possibilities (make reservations soon to make sure you've got a place to say):
-Brevard/Pisgah Forest Area
https://www.ihg.com/holidayinnexpress/hotels/us/en/brevard/bvdnc/hoteldetail?cm_mmc=GoogleMaps-_-EX-_-US-_-BVDNC
http://thesunsetmotel.com/
http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/north-carolina/hampton-inn-brevard-BVDNCHX/index.html

I'm also working on the possibility of a cluster of cabins nearby and will update that info as soon as possible.

-Airport Area (20 min from location)
https://www.marriott.com/hotels/travel/avlnc-fairfield-inn-asheville-airport/

-Outlet Mall Area (30 min from location)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Country+Inn+%26+Suites+By+Carlson,+Asheville+at+Asheville+Outlet+Mall,+NC/@35.4961199,-82.6228395,12z/data=!4m8!1m2!2m1!1sasheville+airport+hotels!3m4!1s0x88598d9e1af06e37:0xe987ac3214a8aa15!8m2!3d35.5313381!4d-82.6060737

We're working on various raffle items and giveaways from some fly shops and companies. So far we've got some small items and a guide trip and a rod (from me).
There are quite a few breweries and tasty BBQ in the area we're looking for help from as well as so come thirsty!

There is a lot of fishing in the area: delayed harvest, hatchery supported, wild and wary and everything in between in the immediate area. And if you're willing to explore the possibilities are unlimited too! Trophy water at the Davidson River Outfitters as well! I know some guides who'd be willing to take a few guys out too. But like I said above, book early to ensure yourself a spot.

I'll have a registration page up soon. Registration will include a tshirt, raffle ticket, tasty meal saturday night and a casual meet and greet Friday night and hopefully some other goodies too.

Post 16 Jan 2018, 09:53 • #20 
Glass Fanatic
If you intend to fly in for the event, Asheville Airport (AVL) is certainly the most convenient, as Chris mentioned it's only about 20 minutes from Brevard. But flights in and out of AVL can (sometimes but not always) be pricier than other "nearby" airports.

So if $ is more important than time and convenience and you'd be renting a car regardless, you might check out fares in and out of Greeneville-Spartanburg (GSP), about a 1 1/2-hour drive from Brevard, and Charlotte (CLT), probably about 2 hours 15 minutes by car from Brevard.

Post 16 Jan 2018, 10:03 • #21 
Master Guide
Looks to be a 14hr drive from my doorstep...

Post 16 Jan 2018, 10:07 • #22 
Glass Fanatic
WNCtroutstalker wrote:
If you intend to fly in for the event, Asheville Airport (AVL) is certainly the most convenient, as Chris mentioned it's only about 20 minutes from Brevard. But flights in and out of AVL can (sometimes but not always) be pricier than other "nearby" airports.

So if $ is more important than time and convenience and you'd be renting a car regardless, you might check out fares in and out of Greeneville-Spartanburg (GSP), about a 1 1/2-hour drive from Brevard, and Charlotte (CLT), probably about 2 hours 15 minutes by car from Brevard.

Great info, Ed! Thanks for posting that.

Eric, easy drive!

Post 16 Jan 2018, 20:16 • #23 
Master Guide
Chris, you picked the perfect venue for this event. I'm going to try like the dickens to get there at the end of April. If you're coming from other parts of the country or globe, the Davidson is one of the finest streams you'll find in the Southern Appalachians - above average fish size for the area, and Spring brings some of the best dry fly action in this part of the world. There are also some excellent hikes and waterfalls nearby for those less interested in fishing.

If you're lucky, you can catch some live bluegrass at the Oskar Blue's brewery to pair with your Dale's Pale Ale only 10 minutes from some prime spots on the D. I also highly recommend the Davidson River Campground, but make sure you reserve a site soon.

One more thing...there are some excellent brookie streams in the area, the names of which retain a classified status on the internet. I imagine if you bend the right ear at the conclave, someone will point you in the right direction to catch some of our colorful native specks in the high country.

Post 16 Jan 2018, 22:59 • #24 
Glass Fanatic
OK, you got me for sure. Now I would like some recommendations on those great dry flies.

Post 17 Jan 2018, 00:18 • #25 
Master Guide
retiredfisher1 wrote:
OK, you got me for sure. Now I would like some recommendations on those great dry flies.

March browns, blue quills, quill gordons, and hendricksons will some of the likely mayfly candidates, depending on conditions. It also doesn't hurt to carry some caddis imitations in tan and gray. Sizes will be 14-18 for the most part.

When I'm not seeing consistent rises or can't identify a steady hatch (usually the majority of the day), I like a dry dropper with an EHC, stimulator, or some kind of irresistible mayfly on top and pheasant tails, copper johns, soft hackle variations, midges, etc. etc. etc. dropped below.

There's a great fly shop on the river a few miles downstream from the Davidson River Campground. I'd recommend stopping in to get up to date reports there.

Davidson fish can be picky with their fly patterns and will only oblige properly matched flies at times, but if you venture out to less pressured wild and brookie water, a well presented parachute Adams or humpy will do the trick.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next New Topic Add Reply